MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #61
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QN View Post
Here's another example... anybody ever confuse kale and chicken?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating...sses_off_c.php

"Eat More Kale" is way too close for comfort to their "Eat mor chikin" phrase. In a letter, a lawyer for Chick-fil-A said Muller-Moore's "eat more kale" message "is likely to cause confusion of the public and dilutes the distinctiveness of Chick-fil-A's intellectual property and diminishes its value.
Kale
Chicken
anyone who can't see the similarity there is blind and not looking for the truth.

:kicksrock:

Old 11-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #62
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
There's a big difference between Patent / Trademark / Copyright infringement and the vague umbrella IP arguments that KCBS has put out.
Your point being? That's a given.

I can count the C&D letters my attorney has sent in the last 10+ years on two hands. The cases litigated are fewer, and the cases won are 100%. Over the spread I've done a little better than break even. That's good enough for me because I never viewed litigation as a revenue stream. At the end of the day, it does cost me $ in terms of opportunity costs. I'll live with that, because it burns my butt to no end to have someone steal from me.

Just don't steal from me! I will litigate when needed to protect what I've produced. If it comes to my attention that someone has stolen code I've written I still, against advice of counsel, will approach them first and give them the opportunity to C&D. If they refuse, the fight is on and they can talk to my attorney. More often than not, legal fees consume any judgment that may be collected and in some cases there has been nothing to collect and the bills were mine. So be it.

Yeah, IP law can be nebulous. That doesn't negate the responsibility of the owner. It didn't create the game, I just play within the boundaries...and I DO play hard.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #63
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
There's a big difference between Patent / Trademark / Copyright infringement and the vague umbrella IP arguments that KCBS has put out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Your point being? That's a given.

I can count the C&D letters my attorney has sent in the last 10+ years on two hands. The cases litigated are fewer, and the cases won are 100%. Over the spread I've done a little better than break even. That's good enough for me because I never viewed litigation as a revenue stream. At the end of the day, it does cost me $ in terms of opportunity costs. I'll live with that, because it burns my butt to no end to have someone steal from me.

Just don't steal from me! I will litigate when needed to protect what I've produced. If it comes to my attention that someone has stolen code I've written I still, against advice of counsel, will approach them first and give them the opportunity to C&D. If they refuse, the fight is on and they can talk to my attorney. More often than not, legal fees consume any judgment that may be collected and in some cases there has been nothing to collect and the bills were mine. So be it.

Yeah, IP law can be nebulous. That doesn't negate the responsibility of the owner. It didn't create the game, I just play within the boundaries...and I DO play hard.
Oh come on, really? The point is, and to use your example. You C&D'd or litigated something that you had the undisputed IP rights to. You didn't (at least I hope you didn't) write a piece of code that generates a print stream to the windows print server then try to claim IP ownership of the MS print server via umbrella litigation on the basis that the print server is yours by the fact that your IP code uses it. (huh?)

Back on point; KCBS clearly owns the KCBS CBJ program IP. Lift that in it's entirety or a major portion of it and a C&D letter should be forthcoming however KCBS does not own all things BBQ contest related. A couple of the KCBS C&D letters that I've seen text of are attempts to usurp common elements as KCBS IP. This is wrong and should stop. We'd all be better off if BBQ comps were treated more as "open source" vs for profit IP (and we won't get into the tax implications of that worm's nest.)

Enough, - who's up for margarita's? I'm buying
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #64
Jorge

Quote:
Oh come on, really? The point is, and to use your example. You C&D'd or litigated something that you had the undisputed IP rights to. You didn't (at least I hope you didn't) write a piece of code that generates a print stream to the windows print server then try to claim IP ownership of the MS print server via umbrella litigation on the basis that the print server is yours by the fact that your IP code uses it. (huh?)

Back on point; KCBS clearly owns the KCBS CBJ program IP. Lift that in it's entirety or a major portion of it and a C&D letter should be forthcoming however KCBS does not own all things BBQ contest related. A couple of the KCBS C&D letters that I've seen text of are attempts to usurp common elements as KCBS IP. This is wrong and should stop. We'd all be better off if BBQ comps were treated more as "open source" vs for profit IP (and we won't get into the tax implications of that worm's nest.)

Enough, - who's up for margarita's? I'm buying
I don't know that we've seen the same letters, so can't comment. IF, and it's a big IF those elements were proprietary initially and KCBS didn't defend them, then it's open season or (source, using the same analogy).

I'll disagree on the open source model for multiple reasons, but that can be discussed over something less frivolous than a margarita down the road. Bring your stoic self to DFW and the beer and cheap tex-mex are on me. I'll send my wife to visit friends so we don't bore her.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #65
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
It's copyrighted material. There is no denying that. I am pretty sure KCBS knows how to send out a C& D letter. the past enforcer was an attorney and they also have counsel. So to say they are a vague unbrella without knowing the contents or intentions of the letter would be wrong. Trademark would be the KCBS logo. I dont believe that KCBS is flexing their muscle over any patent matter on this matter. So I understand the differences and what this matter relates.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #66
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

5. Garry Howard proposal (tentative)

What is Brother Garry proposing?

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #67
Jeff_in_KC

And Harwell fails again... I was on the list that requested to listen in tonight and was told he would email me the listen in phone number and he failed to do so. Figures.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #68
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
And Harwell fails again... I was on the list that requested to listen in tonight and was told he would email me the listen in phone number and he failed to do so. Figures.
Well I certainly hope they post this on the download site.

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
heavily modified SnP "Chickenator"
[COLOR=Red]Red[COLOR=Black] and [COLOR=Blue]Blue[COLOR=Black] Super fast [/COLOR][/COLOR]Thermapens[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
kihrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #69
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihrer View Post
Well I certainly hope they post this on the download site.
So why can't it be set up for any member to listen in? I'm sure that there's a way to do this where we could listen only and the audio could be cut off for closed sessions.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #70
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

I requested to listen in tonight as well. *I didn't hear from anyone either. *It drives me crazy to know that there are such simple means of conducting business and yet it remains a complicated mess.
Heck, today I attended a webinar hosted by a major pharmaceutical company. I got an invite in my email, I registered, a link was sent to me, today at noon I clicked, "Join Your Webinar", attended the webinar and went about my day. They had 600 people on the webinar I attended!
I hear transparency and member driven organization mentioned far to often, and this continues to happen?
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #71
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

The reason I remember being given was cost. It had to do with early registration and individual feeds rather than broad, open availability. Had no way to confirm and it was about a year ago. But I do wish it were easier to access for the mass audiance. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #72
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbbqguy View Post
The reason I remember being given was cost. It had to do with early registration and individual feeds rather than broad, open availability. Had no way to confirm and it was about a year ago. But I do wish it were easier to access for the mass audiance. Steve.
How about this thing called Go to Webinar. Very simple, very easy to use. Check it out, gotowebinar.com.
It's not rocket science, but nobody is asking for rocket science.
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #73
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Yes I was able to listen tonight. Yikes!
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #74
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Yes I was able to listen tonight. Yikes!
and?
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #75
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I'm pretty sure I signed off on not talking about it but it was quite an experience.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote