Roasting Hatch Chili's

Ross in Ventura

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
ae39c8d3.jpg

12f63440.jpg

Every Aug. they harvest Hatch Chili's and this time of the month they have them at Albertson Market here in Ventura. Today I picked up 4-lbs. of them to roast and freeze them so I have them for the rest of the year.
2211d5e4.jpg

49e90b21.jpg

e2c6c8d0.jpg

Put them in a ziplock bag for 45 min- 60 min then skin and devain and seed them
23b694e1.jpg

Ready to vacumn seal and freeze

Thanks for looking

Ross

Nice! I love roasting chiles. The smell when you are peeling the skin off is awesome. I just throw mine down in the lump. Kinda fun.

Oh man I miss NM. I lived there for 2 years a while back and can still smell the chilies being roasted. I have yet to get anything good here in Vegas. They do ship chilies up from Hatch, but I miss them every year.

Man, I've even heard of those! Aren't the locals having trouble harvesting them all because they can't get enough people in to pick them all???

Man, I've even heard of those! Aren't the locals having trouble harvesting them all because they can't get enough people in to pick them all???

i think their main problem was that other states were growing them and callin them "Hatch chilis" much like Georgia had with their vidalia onions

I love hatch anaheims, i havent found anything, i mean ANYTHING that i have put em on that i didnt like. roasted is the way to go, usually i just roast enough for the meal let em cool long enough for me to get out the cutting board and knife to scrape the skin then dice away.

Does puttin them in the zipbag help with getting the skin off easier?? if so i should try it eh??

Great post Ross. Wish we could find them up here in the NW more often. Couple years ago we found them at QFC...roasted them on a kettle, packed in freezer like you did. Was good eatin' for quite some time!! Man, I miss them!!

Here's a pic of my chile roasting crew...
ThuMar11172102PST2010.jpg

I did 240 Lbs. of chiles last year, we just put them in a garbage bag and let them steam for a few hours after roasting and then just bag them up with the skin on and freeze. When you thaw them, then they peel very easily. jb

Back