And now...pastrami

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Well, stuck at home, working on deadlines, I got another cook in...today it was a corned beef hitting the smoker. This was a test run and worked out pretty nice. A Harris Ranch Mild-cure corned beef, soaked for 2 days to remove some salt. Then rubbed liberally with my Phu Quoc Pepper rub and smoked over apple at 225F for 5 hours. Here is what that looked like when done.
pastrami.jpg

And sliced...terrible photo, don't know what happened, I tried this shot 6 times and each on stunk. You can still see the texture I hope.
P3100642.jpg

This was after the smoked corned beef was stuffed into some foil with some water just to create a little steam finish. Here is the finished sandwich, which oddly, the focus returned. This sandwich was sure tasty.
pastramisand.jpg

a few more details here

That looks GREAT! I'm seriously drooling, haven't had dinner yet! Your foot can't be hurting that bad if you can still cook like that! (jealous mod.)

Fark! I've gotta get into this pastrami/corned beef making thing. That looks fantastic - thanks for posting!

Wow, my wife just picked up a Corned beef today. Pastrami here I come! Looks great and thanks for the motivation!

That looks like a delicious sandwich, nicely done :thumb: Was the flavor what you were hoping for?

Just had lunch but it was nowhere as good as this must have been

Awesome, I love pastrami and it's been months since I've made one. I think I need a Reuben now...

Using a corned beef is a viable way to short cut the process, but if you have a little space in your refrigerator for a few days curing your own is very, very easy. I'm definitely not an expert, and if I can do it *anyone* can do it.

Man that looks good, but I have to object to the bun on moral grounds. There are certain truths we hold self evident. Pastrami belongs on seeded rye.:razz:

Wow you sure are taking some nice pron lately! Maybe Chris sent a black helicopter your way to steal your focus on your camera. You never know :spy:

Fark! I've gotta get into this pastrami/corned beef making thing. That looks fantastic - thanks for posting!
Yes, you do have to get into it. It is easier than brisket.

Wow, my wife just picked up a Corned beef today. Pastrami here I come! Looks great and thanks for the motivation!
Does she know you have plans for her corned beef?

That looks like a delicious sandwich, nicely done :thumb: Was the flavor what you were hoping for?
Yes, it was still a little salty for me, I gave most of it away this morning. I am not supposed to have that much salt. I am gonna try corning my own soon. But, in general, it was delicious.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Man that looks good, but I have to object to the bun on moral grounds. There are certain truths we hold self evident. Pastrami belongs on seeded rye.:razz:
Yes, I am sorry, but by the time the afternoon rolled around, and I had run out of pain killer, I just could not get the energy up to get to the store for some rye. I prefer marbled rye.

Wow you sure are taking some nice pron lately! Maybe Chris sent a black helicopter your way to steal your focus on your camera. You never know :spy:
It must have been, since no beer was involved, and the focus worked fine for the sandwich.

Awesome, I love pastrami and it's been months since I've made one. I think I need a Reuben now...

Using a corned beef is a viable way to short cut the process, but if you have a little space in your refrigerator for a few days curing your own is very, very easy. I'm definitely not an expert, and if I can do it *anyone* can do it.
I am going to do this, yep.

Back