Vert. Smoker Built From Old Air Compressor

sahc03

Found some matches.
Reaction score
After spending some time learning some of the finer points of turning out some quality Q with a good friend and "Major Tom" (His UDS), I decided to take on a smoker build of my own. I like the way Maj. Tom held temp and turned out consistent deliciousness, so I wanted to stay in the vertical smoker realm.

Once I had a solid sketch in mind it was off to the shop. Most of the features of my smoker parallel that of many UDS set ups out there. This past Sunday I got to the point where i was ready to fire it up and crank out my first solo rib cook. With some minor adjustments to the ball valves I was able to maintain a consistent temp of 240-255. Eventually I plan on buying a NanoQ of DigiQ so I can set it and forget it, but for now I will just stick with the ball valves and the Maverick.

Things still needing to be done:

1) Attach Handles to middle and bottom sections for easier mobility
2) Have custom grates made to fit inside diameter (Soon to come)
3) Maybe install damper in 2" NPT Threaded opening in Lid
4) Install temp gauge in 1/2" NPT Threaded opening in Lid
5) Probe Holes drilled in middle section

Since I am fairly new to the BBQ game and Brethren site I thought I would post my project here and see what folks had to say. That being said I am open to any and all opinions.

Thank You

Attachments

• smoker 1.JPG
    smoker 1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 501
  • smoker 2.JPG
    smoker 2.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 482
  • smoker 3.JPG
    smoker 3.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 480
  • smoker 4.JPG
    smoker 4.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 479
  • smoker 9.JPG
    smoker 9.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 487
  • smoker 8.JPG
    smoker 8.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 484
  • smoker 7.JPG
    smoker 7.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 480
  • smoker 6.JPG
    smoker 6.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 481
  • smoker 5.JPG
    smoker 5.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 487
Nice lookin drum....errrrr....tank!!

I would think the heat retention would be great.(good thing)

Keep us posted.....

Paul B
SS UDS

Thanks. I searched high and low for a similar home build and couldn't find anything that really fit what I was trying to accomplish.

So now we have a new smoker build acronym...VTS! Nice vertical tank smoker...may it spawn much pron for us to see!

Love it! Major Tom and I are ready to spread the smoke on top the ridge. I'm sure the pork tomorrow will be fantastic.

Cooked the first Boston Butt On this Beast

First butt turned out amazing!

Attachments

• first butt 4.JPG
    first butt 4.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 335
  • first butt 3.JPG
    first butt 3.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 332
  • first butt 2.JPG
    first butt 2.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 335
  • first butt 1.JPG
    first butt 1.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
that's pretty cool! my coworker and I have tossed that idea around ourselves. we have an extra taking up space in our shop. I'm too lazy to pur that much work into it though. One question....... did you cut the tank in half? (OK.... two questions).... how did you stack them back together and keep them stable?

I'd say by the looks of the pork butt you have a successful design. Nice Job!

that's pretty cool! my coworker and I have tossed that idea around ourselves. we have an extra taking up space in our shop. I'm too lazy to pur that much work into it though. One question....... did you cut the tank in half? (OK.... two questions).... how did you stack them back together and keep them stable?

I used a STIHL Cutquik to make my cuts in the tank. Two cuts total, one for the lid and another to separate the bottom section that holds the fire basket from the middle section that holds the grate(s). After I made my cuts I had 1 1/2" wide strips of metal welded around the top side of the new seams to create an overlap to secure the sections to each other when they are stacked. Ive got a rack of ribs on right now that are scheduled to come off within the hour.

I used a STIHL Cutquik to make my cuts in the tank. Two cuts total, one for the lid and another to separate the bottom section that holds the fire basket from the middle section that holds the grate(s). After I made my cuts I had 1 1/2" wide strips of metal welded around the top side of the new seams to create an overlap to secure the sections to each other when they are stacked. Ive got a rack of ribs on right now that are scheduled to come off within the hour.

Took another swing at some spares and knocked out of the park! Dang They were good!

Attachments

• ribs 6.JPG
    ribs 6.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 84
  • ribs 5.JPG
    ribs 5.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 86
  • ribs 4.JPG
    ribs 4.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 85
  • ribs 3.JPG
    ribs 3.JPG