First chops on the grill grates

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
As most of you know, i have a pair of those fancy grates from grillgrates.com.

I tried them out for the first time tonight on the new gasser and they work fantasticly awesome!

Here is my recipe i used:

half gallon of water
1/4 cup salt
2 tbls herbs de provence
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dehydrated minced garlic
2 tbls brown sugar

I let the chops brine for about 3 or 4 hours. When i grilled them, i sprinkled liberally with fresh ground black pepper. They were center cut loin chops according to the package. They are like the rib eyes of pork. Im guessing that if they were to cut the bone from the chop, they would sell them as baby backs.

mms_picture-44.jpg

i used a small smoke bomb of cherry chips that sat about 2 inches above the flame. Got some nice TBS from it. The chops were juicy, tender and very very flavorful.

My only beef with my new grill is, i had all 4 burners on high for 15 minutes, and it BARELY reached 400*F. I do not like the 2 foot by 4 inch gap in the back of the cooker between the base and the lid. i gotts to fix that some how while still allowing the lid to open

any ideas?

thanks guys!

Matt

Hard to get over 400 deg when you keep opening the lid. Gona try that recipe. I've been having tenderness problems with chops.

Hard to get over 400 deg when you keep opening the lid. Gona try that recipe. I've been having tenderness problems with chops.

@ northwest bbq. yeah i only took one pic. it was the mid stage of it all. it was the most important pic though. The grill marks. haha

HAHA. for sure. i even left the lid closed for 15 minutes and it never made it passed 400. however, thats at dome temp. I imagine ALOT of hot air is escaping out the back of the grill with that 2 inch wide by 24 inch long gap.

the chops were really tender. i have used this brine on a loin roast that was very lean and it produced some very jucy tender shops

I need to buy a oven thermo to place inside and see what the grate temp is

I beg to disagree. Were you aware that this can be done on the actual grates you are cooking on? LMFAO! :p

yes but not as good. haha. even with a high heat charoal fire, i cant get as good as grill marks as these things produce

One pic is enough. Great shot. Good job...

thanks man. They were pretty good. They had a really nice bacon flavor to them. Ok, not sure if bacon is the right word but they sure tasted really really good and juicy. Yeah, bacon sounds bout right!

not sure if this could be your issue, but on my broilmaster, if there is a large buildup of gunk in the bottom of the grill body, I notice a decrease in temps. Alll the goop and yuk that bukds up bertween the rocks and on the bottom seem to suck up the heat. Clean that stuff out and temps come back up.

not sure if this could be your issue, but on my broilmaster, if there is a large buildup of gunk in the bottom of the grill body, I notice a decrease in temps. Alll the goop and yuk that bukds up bertween the rocks and on the bottom seem to suck up the heat. Clean that stuff out and temps come back up.

100 percent agree, Phil. :thumb:

A clean pit is a great cooker.

This was its first run today. Its a brand new gasser from char broiler! so no build up at all.

but im glad you told me this. Now ill be more cautious to how much i cook and what i cook. I agree, a clean pit is a happy pit

This was its first run today. Its a brand new gasser from char broiler! so no build up at all.

but im glad you told me this. Now ill be more cautious to how much i cook and what i cook. I agree, a clean pit is a happy pit

Which model? If it's the one I think it is, it's not going to get hotter than that no matter what you do.

It's not designed to...

Always, bro.

new tank? Full?

Tanks loose pressure if they sit awhile.

Flame blue? if not, adjust the airflow on the supply tubes or have the tank evacuated and refilled.

Which model? If it's the one I think it is, it's not going to get hotter than that no matter what you do.

It's not designed to...

which ones that? Whats the design intent in keeping temps low. ?

which ones that? Whats the design intent in keeping temps low. ?

It's not a design intent to keep it low? The way it's designed it just won't get hot that hot.

Char-Broil makes a couple of models for Walmart, for instance, that are built for a price point that Walmart insists upon. In order to get that price point corners are cut.

new tank? Full?

Tanks loose pressure if they sit awhile.

Flame blue? if not, adjust the airflow on the supply tubes or have the tank evacuated and refilled.

its a new tank from home depot. The falme looked pretty much blue, but it had orange tips on some occasions. It was all assembled when i received it as a gift. So i need to find sais supply tubes and check those

here is the link to the one i have and also a picture of it. Was not purchased at walmart! haha

http://www.charbroil.com/ProductInfo/4-96-1930/FourBurner-Gas-Grill-with-Sideburner.aspx

mms_picture-41.jpg

Okay, that baby should get above 400 degrees.

Something's not working correctly.

Back