Wood Question

j20832

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anyone smoked with non-fruiting cherry tree wood? Any thoughts on how that would work out? I ask because I can get a whole tree that was recently cut down, but I am not interested if it will impart a bitter or otherwise "off" taste.

Wild Cherry wood is some of the best smoking wood out there. As our dearly beloved KC Qer alsways said: any wood is good wood as long as it's Cherry!

Wild Cherry wood is some of the best smoking wood out there. As our dearly beloved KC Qer alsways said: any wood is good wood as long as it's Cherry!

Nuff said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! As a bonus, it was cut last summer, so it has been aged for about 7 months already.

Well, is it a wild/black cherry, or a what they call a live cherry? A wild/black cherry has bark similar to pine and can grow fairly tall, and not very straight. A live cherry has a smoothish bark and is used more as an ornamental tree because it doesn't get very tall.

Wild/Black Cherry is fine for smoking, not sure I would use the live cherry.

Snag all of it you found a true treasure wild cherry is killer!! great score

Well, is it a wild/black cherry, or a what they call a live cherry? A wild/black cherry has bark similar to pine and can grow fairly tall, and not very straight. A live cherry has a smoothish bark and is used more as an ornamental tree because it doesn't get very tall.

Wild/Black Cherry is fine for smoking, not sure I would use the live cherry.

Hmmm good point. He did say "non-fruiting". That rules out Black Cherry unless there is something wrong with the tree. We have thousands of cherry trees here, only ever seen a couple without fruit. I skip over those one.

It is probably an ornamental cherry. I will know for sure when I get a look at the bark. Since my original post, I did a search on this site. Some say they smoke with the ornamental cherry, pear, etc. and others don't...

Back