MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #9586
lwdbo
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCom View Post
I used a SS drum as well. I had to flare out my kettle lid lip a little to overcome the dimension difference. I added a strip of gasket all the way around on the inside of the lid.
I used ss bolts with a lock-nut assmbly to support the grates.
very nice ... thanks for your help !!!!
lwdbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #9587
maliclipse
Found some matches.

Took the plunge today...

I ordered a brand new 85 gallon barrel from Grainger. Unlined open top 1.5mm thick all around.

Gonna order the weber 26" cooking areas and start looking at plans to build a fire basket.

Hopefully will have this guy done in a couple weeks for its first run before summer starts.

I heard some people lining the bottom with concrete so it doesn't rust through or burn out - is that a good idea? I'm going to put this guy on casters so I don't really care how heavy it'll get.

Cheers!

MH
maliclipse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #9588
ethogeek
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCom View Post
I used a SS drum as well. I had to flare out my kettle lid lip a little to overcome the dimension difference. I added a strip of gasket all the way around on the inside of the lid.
I used ss bolts with a lock-nut assmbly to support the grates.

What type of gasket did you use and where did you find it? I've been starting to look for a silicon gasket but haven't been able to find anything yet.
ethogeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #9589
N2entropy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default recession? must not be!

Here is what I scored on the way to the dump today. Everything works too. Now I need to decide if I'm going to use it as is or pull the Weber out and add my UDS to the frame....Suggestions?

The guy was going to put it in the scrap steel until I gave him $20 to let me take it home. Even had new grates?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grill 211.jpg (52.6 KB, 834 views)

Old 06-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #9590
inraged2002

I have a question about how much you need to burn your barrel. I have attached a picture to show the inside of my barrel. Do I need to get all of the orange out? It feels rough like maybe its the bare metal but I want to make sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barrel.jpg (31.0 KB, 876 views)
inraged2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #9591
kng
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Twins!

inraged2002,

I'm definately no expert, but I was able to get more of the orange out with a good hot burn, a wire wheel on an angle grinder, and then a disk on an angle grinder (only needed for the bottom). Here are pictures of my build:

Food grade barrel. Had corn syrup in it. Tan food liner.

Burning 'em out!

Got most of the liner out.

Used wire wheel on an angle grinder on the sides and was able to get it off.

Painted with high temp grill paint.

Used an angle grinder with a disc on the bottom.

Rack levels.

Install.

Charcoal racks wired up.

Weleded.

Heat cycle.

Maiden voyage.

Didn't get a pic in time, this is about half eaten. LOL!

Thanks for a great forum!
-Kyle
kng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #9592
inraged2002

Wow looks good. Unfortunately I don't have an angle grinder. I bought a wire brush for my drill but that really doesn't work that well. Do you have to remove the orange. i'm not sure what color the liner was as my dad burnt it out for me.
inraged2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #9593
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by inraged2002 View Post
Wow looks good. Unfortunately I don't have an angle grinder. I bought a wire brush for my drill but that really doesn't work that well. Do you have to remove the orange. i'm not sure what color the liner was as my dad burnt it out for me.
I burned mine out twice and each time it glowed red, and it still had a small amount of the liner in it. I figured that using it, it would never get that hot again.

So, I finished it up, painted the outside and have been using it for about 2 years. Have never smelled, tasted or had any odd side effects from any food cooked on it.
After my first season burn, the whole inside of the barrel is covered in black. It wont rust as long as I don't wash it out. I used pam to season it with.

The outside of the barrel when cooking up to 300 degrees is hot to the touch, but not hot enough to cause any burns. Don't think any liner left will get hot enough to produce any undesirable fumes.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #9594
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliclipse View Post
Took the plunge today...

I ordered a brand new 85 gallon barrel from Grainger. Unlined open top 1.5mm thick all around.

Gonna order the weber 26" cooking areas and start looking at plans to build a fire basket.

Hopefully will have this guy done in a couple weeks for its first run before summer starts.

I heard some people lining the bottom with concrete so it doesn't rust through or burn out - is that a good idea? I'm going to put this guy on casters so I don't really care how heavy it'll get.

Cheers!

MH
I see no need to put cement in the bottom of the drum if you season it properly. Mine has been up and running for about 2 years and the bottom is just like it was when I first seasoned it. No rust or corrosion.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #9595
kng

I think I gave less than 20 bucks for the angle grinder at Harbor Freight.
kng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #9596
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Great looking drums ....
Big Bears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #9597
bass7858

Default need info on gaskets/silicone

Good day Brethren. I am making a uds using the bottom half of a cheap kettle as the dome lid. Had to fashion a ring for it to rest on as it was way smaller then the open drum.
I hear people mention gaskets and silicone in use for sealing such cracks or voids and am just wondering if brethren could post pics of the actual product or products they used.
The only hi heat silicone i can find is automotive. is this the stuff i want or is their another variety.
any advice or suggestions appreciated
thanks
bass7858 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #9598
bmit

Default The Buckhorn Bar n Grill

Hello everyone, I'm Bailey from Whistler, BC, Canada.

I have just finished building my 'Drum Kit' and have started modifying my backyard into the Buckhorn Bar 'n Grill. I have made 2 UDS and one open top party grill.
Heres what the kit looks like.

I started with these brand new barrels I had special ordered. I got 2 with removable lids and thicker gauge steel. The solid barrel is what I used for the grill.

Heres the first one I finished. I cut it in half to access the coals better. I definitely noticed some slight temperature fluctuations when I first used it. I now use aluminum foil tape to seal it off.

Heres the bottom half with the coal basket loaded up. Theres a couple more chunks of wood buried in there somewhere.

...and the Top. You can see the heat diffuser on the coal basket. For the lid I welded on the hook and handles and it definitely warped it a bit. I kept the locking rings and that helps keep it closed and from people opening the damn thing when I'm not looking!

Heres the party grill. I made the lid completely removable so friends can gather around the grill. Makes for a good party atmosphere. Here we have some chicken thighs resting.

...and the chefs perspective.. Got a pork butt roasting up in one of the UDS.

The BHBnG in full effect!

Heres the pork butt... Cooked it for 10 hours. Started the fire at 8 am and it was holding at 250 when I went to bed at 1am!
Pork ended up really good, enjoyed it in some sangies with some home made sauce and slaw. Turned out perfectly as far as I like it.

This is my third summer that I have been spending all my free time smoking meat products and making barbeces. Here is a pic of the first one I made 2 years ago. I had never heard of the UDS and came up with the design myself.

It did a decent job and taught me a lot about cooking meat. It had a few things about it that made it very inefficient compared to the UDS!

In august myself and 2 friends will be entering the Canadian National BBQ Champs here in Whistler for the third time! I am really excited to enter with my new UDS and give it our best!

Thank you to everyone in this post and on the forum! I have learned so much and cant wait to give a brisket a go here on the weekend.
bmit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #9599
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass7858 View Post
Good day Brethren. I am making a uds using the bottom half of a cheap kettle as the dome lid. Had to fashion a ring for it to rest on as it was way smaller then the open drum.
I hear people mention gaskets and silicone in use for sealing such cracks or voids and am just wondering if brethren could post pics of the actual product or products they used.
The only hi heat silicone i can find is automotive. is this the stuff i want or is their another variety.
any advice or suggestions appreciated
thanks
This is what I used. Found it in the auto section at Walmart.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #9600
maliclipse
Found some matches.

If you use a 85 gallon drum do you need to make a bigger fire basket?
maliclipse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker