MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #181
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Will the new firmware increase the distance from house to smoker that can be used?
Has anyone confirmed how far these units will work?
If i purchase a unit and it wont connect, is there something i can add to increase the distance?
As you can see, no geek lives here.
I am hoping to monitor a smoker that is several hundred feet from the house and located on the opposite side of a barn under roof.
Is this something that is doable?
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #182
humblegriller
Got Wood.

There are things called "wifi repeaters", but they all need power. Is power available about halfway between your pit and your router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
Will the new firmware increase the distance from house to smoker that can be used?
Has anyone confirmed how far these units will work?
If i purchase a unit and it wont connect, is there something i can add to increase the distance?
As you can see, no geek lives here.
I am hoping to monitor a smoker that is several hundred feet from the house and located on the opposite side of a barn under roof.
Is this something that is doable?
jon
humblegriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #183
appdesigngeeks
Got Wood.

Default BBQ Remote App

Hi Everyone,

The latest version of BBQ Remote version 0.2 now supports the new firmware 1.1 security feature that will allow you to secure access to your Wifi Guru with a username and password.

http://www.appdesigngeeks.com/bbqguru/bbqremote.html

If you have already installed it please uninstall it and re install the latest version. If are interested in testing the beta version please email us your UDID if you have not already.

Please email [email protected]

Thank You
appdesigngeeks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #184
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
There are things called "wifi repeaters", but they all need power. Is power available about halfway between your pit and your router?
There is power at house and at barn.
I hope to not disturb this great thread but i know there are some answers or individuals who might know here.
I have not made the purchase due to not knowing if it will meet my needs.
House is 400 ft to metal barn, smoker is on far side of barn.
Thanks for any help,
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #185
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

Do you have a laptop(any wifi device) you could take out there and place next to your smoker? If so, how strong is the wifi signal to your laptop(device)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
There is power at house and at barn.
I hope to not disturb this great thread but i know there are some answers or individuals who might know here.
I have not made the purchase due to not knowing if it will meet my needs.
House is 400 ft to metal barn, smoker is on far side of barn.
Thanks for any help,
jon

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #186
bustem55
On the road to being a farker

So I had my CyberQ all hooked up in infrastructure mode (Thanks to Damian at BBQ Guru) and decided that because Damian said there might be a problem with my old router, went out and bought a new Apple Airport Extreme router. Well now, I cant connect yet again. There is no way to hook up in ad hoc(not sure why) so if any of you brethren on here want to help out a real simpleton, let me know. I thank you in advance.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #187
dreiland
Found some matches.

Try holding all 4 arrow keys down onto it resets to factory defaults, router should have no effect on Adhoc mode, but perhaps you changed other security stuff
dreiland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #188
RitchieA
Found some matches.

Default Repeter

I had to add a repeter to help me . With out the repeter my CyberQ wifi was droping now I can have my pit up to 200 yards away with no promblem. You can add a outdoor repeter and that should give you more distance.
RitchieA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #189
bustem55
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreiland View Post
Try holding all 4 arrow keys down onto it resets to factory defaults, router should have no effect on Adhoc mode, but perhaps you changed other security stuff
Yeah, I cant even get in ad hoc mode. tried several times. should have never "up graded" my router. I should have just left well enough alone.

Last edited by bustem55; 08-14-2012 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention already did reset
bustem55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #190
Grant968
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustem55 View Post
Yeah, I cant even get in ad hoc mode. tried several times. should have never "up graded" my router. I should have just left well enough alone.
update to 1.1 worked for me. Windows 7. Followed instructions included with 1.1 ZIP download.
  • 1.1 works for me.
  • Ad Hoc works for me.
  • Infrastructure mode still a mystery as to why it does not work for me.
Grant968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #191
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustem55 View Post
Ad hoc mode is direct between your computer and the Guru. The router isn't involved in that, so upgrading the router won't impact that.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #192
HKChad
Got Wood.

Android version ready for Pre-Release.

So I've been working on this thing on-off for a few weeks now, never really happy with it but I read an article today titled F**k it, Shipt It (sorry for the language, I hope the ** are ok?). So in the spirit of the article, I'm shipping it.

I will warn you, this version WILL stop working on 9/14. I plan to continue working on it so as long as you don't mind updating it it shouldn't be an issue. It is NOT posted on the android market so if you want to use it you will have to allow other sources.

It is hosted on Google Code Projects,
http://code.google.com/p/cyberq-wifi-monitor/

You are welcome to go there and look through the docs, screen shots are here,
http://code.google.com/p/cyberq-wifi.../wiki/Overview

Or you can just download it.

Currently it will NOT update the cyberq with setpoints, but it does have alarms built it for each probe, this is what I mostly use it for. I can set a high/low value and it will scream like a banshee when one is hit (click on the gauge of the probe to access). If you don't like the alarm it's using the default sound you have assigned to alarms like the alarm clock.

There is no current plan to provide graphs. Rick has that one pretty well covered with his windows app. This is only tested with the .8 firmware. I have not yet installed the 1.0 version on mine. However unless they changed the format of the status.xml it should work fine. I know it has some issues you can read about them on the google page. If you notice anything else or want to offer suggestions I'm all ears. I will say however I am NOT a UI developer, but I am a java programmer/enterprise architect by trade, they just mainly lock me in the back room to design/develop the web services, not the clients, you've been warned!

Enjoy,
Chad
HKChad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #193
HKChad
Got Wood.

Tested it today with the 1.1 firmware, everything seems to work the same as it should since the status.xml didn't change. Going to start adding in the ability to update the cyberq as well.
HKChad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #194
Grant968
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant968 View Post
update to 1.1 worked for me.
Infrastructure mode still a mystery as to why it does not work for me.
If you are accepting requests for app functionality, consider a request for automated or near automated infrastructure set-up.
Grant968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #195
Gnomatic
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant968 View Post
If you are accepting requests for app functionality, consider a request for automated or near automated infrastructure set-up.
That's an interesting idea.
Gnomatic is offline   Reply With Quote