BBQ Classes

D

ddog27

I see so many ads for BBQ classes all of them saying they can make you a champ at BBQ contests. For those of you who have taken a class can you tell me which ones are worth the money? Which ones are actually helpful?

Choosing a class depends on a number of factors, like:

How much can you afford to pay?
How far are you willing to travel?
What is your current experience level?
What type of cooker do you use?
Which sanctioning organization runs the contest you will be cooking?

Ideally, you want to select a class that is a good fit given your answers to the above questions.

I've been to Rod Gray's Pellet Envy class in Overland Park, KS. I thought it was very informative and my results improved dramatically afterward.

There is no magic bullet that will automatically make you a Grand Champion, but seeing how a very successful team does it will certainly help improve your game. It will also give you an idea of how much attention to detail it takes to produce a consistently outstanding product, on time, every time.

Last time I checked, Pellet Envy was once again the number one KCBS team in the country.

I would highly recommend Myron Mixon's class. I learned so much and had a great time. You can't pass it up.

I attended the class called, Old School Vs High Tech. It was taught by Rod Gray and Johnny Trigg. Learned a ton and they gave us everything on how to do a competition BBq. I don't believe they offer the class together but they might do it by themselves. Well worth going to a class.

Trucky9754

cooking on
Fast Eddy FEC100
C/S sm009
Weber Gasser
2 X Ultra-accurate Thermopen RED of course.
Official MOINKER since 2010
KCBS Member
7 X 14 Competition Trailer

it will cut the learning curve--can learn what to avoid as well what to do---the class we took about 6yrs ago did help alot---meeting other cooks was maybe the best part of the whole deal. When I started this contest stuff lots of info was gleaned sitting around a firebox drinking whiskey---times have changed
And I would love to take Myrons class!

I have attended (3) BBQ Pitmaster Classes and of these Myron's Cooking School was hands down the best of the best. You will not be disappointed with this class. I would love to go to Johnny Triggs class and maybe this is in the future sometimes.

I took the Pellet Envy class in May in TN, and competed in my first competition a couple of weeks ago. I won 1st place Ribs and got 2nd place Chicken. I attribute the trophies directly to the class. :thumb:

The Pellet Envy class is a lot of bang for the buck, and I highly recommend it. :thumb:

So it sounds like the pellet envy class and the Myron Mixon classes are the ones that get the best reviews. I will have to look into taking those! Thanks guys!

I have only been to one so I can't compare but Jacks Old South is a great class. Worth it!

Back