MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #61
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
Just check out their site, nice units I must say. Too bad they don't make a mini, I could really use a mini.
A mini?! A 30-gallon barrel IS a mini, but it cooks more meat than a maxi.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #62
Eatin Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatin Smoke View Post
So......my PBC has arrived in the Midwest and scheduled for delivery tomorrow! What should the first cook be?? I was thinking ribs but looking for other suggestions from those that have one of these.

Also, can you cut back on the amount of charcoal in the basket for shorter cooks or do they recommend always using a full basket as they describe in their videos? Thanks for any advice.....just trying to educate myself before it arrives.
John:

Can you offer any advice on my charcoal question?
Eatin Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #63
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
Why? Is this some new form of cooking...a mix between direct and indirect cooking?
John's idea of a stationary rotisserie is about the best explanation there is. I've also come to think of it as this; the Pit Barrel, being smaller than a standard UDS (30 gal vs 55 gal) and with burning a hotter fire (275-300*), both combine to create a very stable cooking chamber. The 30 gal size radiates heat throughout the entire cooking area to provide a very even cook. You have radiant heat from the fire, sides, and top lid of the drum which all attribute to help keep a very even cook environment.

Yes, ribs do char a little bit on the end closest the fire but they are not burned or ruined, at least not by my definition. They just have a bit more bark than the rest of the slab. If the extra bark isn't your cup of tea, the easy solution is to cut and hang half slabs.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #64
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

As for the charcoal load question, they do recommend using a full basket (8 lbs) for each cook. However, as you get used to cook times you can "cheat" by adjusting according to the load and the maximal cook time. For example, tri-tip takes only 35 minutes, so I use about half a basket. Chicken halves take about two hours, so if I'm only cooking a few (four or less halves) I'll use about 2/3 of a basket.

All that said, I HIGHLY recommend starting out with a full basket for each cook. Again, once you get a good feel for it then start to color outside the lines.

I hope this helps.

John

Old 12-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #65
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
So......my PBC has arrived in the Midwest and scheduled for delivery tomorrow! What should the first cook be?? I was thinking ribs but looking for other suggestions from those that have one of these.

Also, can you cut back on the amount of charcoal in the basket for shorter cooks or do they recommend always using a full basket as they describe in their videos? Thanks for any advice.....just trying to educate myself before it arrives.
My vote would be a chicken or two cut in half and done up with your favorite poultry rub. SO GOOD!!!
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #66
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
Why? Is this some new form of cooking...a mix between direct and indirect cooking?
Everything John said! I've used a good number of different cookers... this guy is just different... and soooo stinking easy :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #67
Biggun
On the road to being a farker

Mines supposed to be landing tomorrow...got some Prime Costco tri-tip and going to pick up some chicken tomorrow...can't wait to try her out...
Biggun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #68
Eatin Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the advice.....Haven't even cooked on this thing yet and I'm trying to convince myself to order another at the $225 price.

I guess practice makes perfect, so I'll go chicken halves for first run followed by ribs. Unfortunately, the tri-tip will have to wait until I have time to make a Restaurant Depot run.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #69
Big Frank
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
The best way that I can explain it is easily summed up in two words: stationary rotisserie. It cooks incredibly evenly with no tending, muss or fuss.

It really is one of those you-have-to-experience-it-to-believe-it things.

John
John do you think adding the rods into a UDS would work. I don't need or have room for another smoker. I got a barrel for Christmas that I have to use.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=150239
22" weber
Weber Genesis S-330
Camerons Stovetop Smoker
Super-Fast Splash-Proof[COLOR="Red"] RED[/COLOR] Thermapen
[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][B] [I] Imbas Certified MOINK Baller [/B][/I]
[/COLOR][/FONT]
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Big Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #70
480 Volt
Got Wood.

Waiting on Fedex to deliver mine today. First cook is going to be chicken. I am stoked.
480 Volt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #71
midwestsmokeboy
Full Fledged Farker

I'Ve had mine for about 3 months now and I use it every weekend. My first cook was chicken and I was immediately impressed. Best Chicken I have ever cooked and the best thing is I didn't have to babysit the cooker. I just put it on and 2 hours later it was cooked to perfection. Since then I have done Butts/Tri tips/Ribbs Let me tell you...you can't beat it. Do your self a favor and get one. You wont be sorry.
midwestsmokeboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #72
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

i've cooked on a 55 gallon drums. did not like them. family didn't either. the flavor off the food from 55 drum was always terrible. my family hated it. they couldn't wait until i got rid of them. since i got the Pit Barrel Cooker my food comes out very flavorful. very easy to use. no adjusting anything. i can put more food in my PBC than i every could my old 55 drums. chicken, ribs, tri, butts and veges all come out fantastic. no turning or anything. take the food off when done. it is not new to hang your food in drums but the Pit Barrel Cooker sure it taste better. if you own a 55 gallon drum great. if you want your food to taste better get a PBC.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #73
Eatin Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

She's here!!! Chicken is prepped, and coals are burning.......just waiting to hang the yardbirds. I'll post pics later on. Thanks for talking me into this.......I'm gonna love this PBC.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #74
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Thanks for talking me into this.......I'm gonna love this PBC.
Why yes, yes you will.

John

Old 12-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #75
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Don't forget to take the horseshoe stand out of the bottom of the barrel. Believe it or not, some people have.

John