MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #166
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Does anyone know how long the Discount Code from Grillin.com will be good for?..I signed up and have the code just cant do it for about 2 weeks..Thanks in advance.!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #167
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbob View Post
Does anyone know how long the Discount Code from Grillin.com will be good for?..I signed up and have the code just cant do it for about 2 weeks..Thanks in advance.!
Through January I believe. Call 'em and ask.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #168
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Through January I believe. Call 'em and ask.

John
Thanks John...I will have to do that..then I will know for sure....Thanks Again !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #169
N8man
Babbling Farker

ain't got a dog in this hunt but feel the need to ask a question....

PatioDaddio, didn't you build yourself an UDS,
even though it was available commercially at the time???

see where this question could lead????

it's a slippery slope.....

ok, carry on....

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm not going to help someone copy a commercial product and potentially take money out of the pocket of the guy who went through 29 prototypes to develop it. That's just not cool.

John

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #170
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
ain't got a dog in this hunt but feel the need to ask a question....

PatioDaddio, didn't you build yourself an UDS,
even though it was available commercially at the time???

see where this question could lead????

it's a slippery slope.....

ok, carry on....
Yes, I did, but the BDS isn't really a UDS, and it's not patented like the PBC is. It's the difference between public domain information and proprietary intellectual property.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #171
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

One can simply take the pictures off of Patio Daddio's blog (write me if you can't find them and I will send them) and knowing the dimensions of the drum, all parts can be easliy assimilated. The vent hole is a no brainer. I am wondering why I even made three holes in my Uds as the One Inch pipe is doing fine.

The hooks...farking hooks..... fark ing hooks may be patented but so what... make them yourself.... I already have and will be using them tomorrow on my first Chicken smoke on my finished UDS with 18.5 inch firegrate I designed that has my UDS buring at 230 for the last 18 hours now. I can gaurantee I will be stealing the design based on John's blog and making a video showing EVERYONE how to make them for their UDS. So sue my hairy puckerd unwiped ass if they want.

Patent pending my ass. Hooks? Trigga Pluhleese.

In addition, just who the fark is the brethren nay sayer? No one in here says the PBC sucks. It is begining to look like we can't even agree to agree. That the PBC is a drum smoker that takes its cue from the UDS but purposely designed so that it can be patented. How is that nay saying? No one says it sucks and I hope it sells more.

Its not like someone in here (who obviously cannot make either decent Q without the PBC OR make a descent UDS himself) is claiming the PBC is better because the UDS they made makes the meat taste "icky." on all sorts of forums, all over the place. And no, just because the person is so excited about his new toy he tells the whole world about it biased. But the argument trying to purposely say the PBC is so different than the UDS or BDS is... especially when its fought with such gusto... it does kind of seem like there is a kind of ulterior motive.

Furthermore.... some of us, not just me, should get fat farking check from PBC just for making this thread the hottest PBC discussion on the NET.... controversy or not.

I know a thing or two about marketing and now a days whenever something about as worthless as say Amway, or Pri-America tries to advertise and get more interest roused, they PURPOSELY start blogs and articles that claim to be "exposees into fraud or scams" only to have the reader read them and it end up being a glorius review. Even some "make it rich quick" TV infomercials pique the viewer's appetitite for scandle by staging "surprise interviews" at real customer's doors asking for their stories... which are always gleeming.

Edict.

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 01-04-2013 at 01:05 PM..
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #172
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Yes, I did, but the BDS isn't really a UDS, and it's not patented like the PBC is. It's the difference between public domain information and proprietary intellectual property.

John
Okay.... let's stop the BS. Big Drum Smoker, Ugly Drum Smoker, Pit Barrel Smoker....

If you tell anyone that is not as immersed in BBQ as we are those term they envision this.....

I have been telling my friend who is a buyer at HEB this for two years now that the Horizontal Drums they have suck and that's why they don't sell. They are considering something upright for next season. BUT!!!!!

The UDS, BDS and PBC are ALL ONE THING THAT IS UNDISPUTABLE.... UPRIGHT DRUM SMOKERS. That is what makes them tick. You cannot get any horizontal drum with that many seams to burn as long as a UPRIGHT Drum Smoker can naturally.

In think the PBC is a great idea. I can run circles around anyone in here as to why, BUT... there is no reason at all to start this malarky that the PBC is something so unique, groundbreaking and innovative that it cannot be compared to its larger counterparts. 29 Prototypes.... Hah. I wonder how many prototypes we could count in the colossus of a UDS thread we have that has a quarter of a million hits? There are so many prototypes I put off making my own holding out for more ideas.

I can say John's review is quite thorough as he even tested wheter his probe could sit on the handle without melting.

Edict.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #173
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I was watching " Soap Operas" today but, now.....

Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #174
jeffsee
Full Fledged Farker

What really suck in all of this is that I really do respect John's Q skills. I have gone sofar as to print sheets with pull tabs with the Patio Daddio blog site on it to send folks to John's website to give him full credit for whatever I cook that I learn from him. Those always go right alongside the Q.

I honestly have no intention of making, selling, or marketing a rip-off PBC drum. I just want to cook. I have neither the inclination nor the skill set.

[I'm normally not one for side (or sob) stories. Most of you who have seen my posts know that I pretty much post about food I cook. You might have noticed my pure joy as I figured out what many of you learned long ago about cooking. But in this case, a side post IS important/relevant to this discussion, so I will talk about more than smoked jalapeños or Moinks.

I have spent the last 10 weeks burning through all of my banked vacation/sick/personal days to move in with my parents and help my dad care for my mom who is dying of lung cancer. My wife and I have spent from our own limited resources to make sure my mom has what she needs in her final days. I know...it's life, and lots of people have to step up and help their elderly parents. I'm not crying or whining, and I'm not saying others don't have far worse situations to deal with. I MISS my wife and daughters. I MISS my students. I MISS my job. But I'm doing what every son should do when asked.

My family KNOWS me for my Q and the joy it brings me and others. My first EVER cook was pulled pork for Christmas Eve at my folks. The PBC looks like an excellent cooker, and my mom, who HATES the smoke taste that accompanies my Q, might enjoy food from the PBC and actually eat it. If I had not burned through so much of our $$ helping my parents, I MIGHT be able to convince my wife to let me get one. But I DID spend money we didn't have to help my folks.

So...with a free barrel available, and a former student who works at a local metals place willing to powder coat the drum for "some of that great pulled pork you used to make for us at school," I wanted to try. At this point, there is little I can do for my mom, but this was one small gesture I still had in my control.

We just moved my mom into a specialized care facility this morning, her last real shot at getting well enough to return home so she can die in her own house. If she makes it out, I wanted to have a cooker waiting and treat her and some of the nurses and staff who have helped make this trip through hell even a tiny bit bearable.] Awkwardly stepping down from perch now...

I HATE sharing like that, but the fact that someone I follow, learn from and respect would question my integrity did not sit well with me.

I apologize to all brethren for hijacking this thread and turning it into something I never intended it to become. Please go back to writing about and discussing cookers, recipes, and fraternity. That's why this forum exists.

Apologies again.

Forever in the bonds...

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #175
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I think it has two things that make it somewhat unique.

1. Its got the hanging hook idea down pat (i know, this has been done before, but not all that often).

2. It has preset vent settings, which probably makes it easier to use and more consistent.

No, these are not brand new groundbreaking ideas, but they have been put together with some thought into a nice little package.

Also- the sale is going on til the end of January.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #176
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I agree Trump... I just spent maybe 112 on finishing my UDS the other day and still need to buy shelves, a paint job, season the inside, and modify for the Weber lid.

Think about it. I could have bought the PDC and be DONE with it and maybe mod IT with a shelf If I wanted to.

Hey, wasn't there a similar thread about the UDS that went haywire because someone claimed "the UDS is the greatest smoker pound for pound than any other." I remember that got out of hand years ago. People were at each other's throats. Gosh, I hope that happens again. It only serves to bolster the exsiting superiority of the UDS and its diminuative PDC counterpart's sales.

Edict.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #177
jeffsee
Full Fledged Farker

For those still considering a PBC:

1. Here's the direct link to the grilling.com registration page, which will get you the coupon code for the PBC: http://www.grilling.com/registration/register_form.php
2. Here's the link to the YouTube videos Noah has. I know they are on the PBC site, but some folks prefer going directly to YouTube: http://m.youtube.com/results?q=pit%20barrel%20cooker (Demo videos for Turkey, pork shoulder, prime rib, etc.)

After looking, decide for yourself. As many others have said, the coupon is good through January.

Happy cooking!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #178
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Me and my UDS are best friends. We like to take long walks on the beach and read poetry while we spoon.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #179
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

This works better

http://www.youtube.com/user/pitbarrelcooker

Edict.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #180
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn View Post
Me and my UDS are best friends. We like to take long walks on the beach and read poetry while we spoon.

Mine gives me lap dance. Like to see the PBC do that.

Edict.