MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #46
Jay Bird
is one Smokin' Farker

Guess what my next cook is gonna be. Sure looks scrumptious.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #47
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
Very nice Vince!

I'll be giving this a try in the not too distant future, the only qustion is: how many jalapenos. I like a bit of spice (my wife, not so much). Ah well, easy enough to add more, very tough to take out.
I think I'm going to switch the jalapenos to Anaheim/New Mexico peppers. Should be a little less heat, but still with that heat flavor. Chicago style Giardiniera sounds like it would be really tasty on these that could be added afterwards for those that want more heat.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #48
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the comments. I missed a couple of replies and I'll get to them later. Wifes giving me the Its time to go to dinner look! But I did get a couple in first. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendosia View Post
However, correct me if I'm wrong, but the hotness from a pepper comes from the ribs rather then the seeds? i've heard that the seeds actually don't have any heat, but rather the capiscin comes from the ribs on the inside of the pepper. Can anyone else confirm this? If that's true, then you'll need to trim all of the ribs off the pepper and it should be pretty mellow when you use em.
I think there is heat in the seeds as well. Look at crushed red pepper as an example. I do agree about the ribs of the peppers adding heat to a pepper. I know this from making ABT's. However I have found that some peppers are hotter than others when making them. LOL I'm still learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Has anyone ever done this without the Guinness or other beers. Beer normally isn't stocked in my house (though I got it for this cook). Just wondering how much it really adds, as compared to beef stock. I also wonder how much it varies depending on if it is Guinness v. Guinness Extra Stout v. PBR, etc. ;) .
I think any liquid would be fine however its always nice to day we cooked with beer tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
Very nice Vince!

I'll be giving this a try in the not too distant future, the only qustion is: how many jalapenos. I like a bit of spice (my wife, not so much). Ah well, easy enough to add more, very tough to take out.
The jury is still out in my kitchen! I think cooking some up in a separate tin and then adding to the sandwich might be a good option if spicy is not preferred. I'm going to try again with one to see.

Quote:
I think I'm going to switch the jalapenos to Anaheim/New Mexico peppers. Should be a little less heat, but still with that heat flavor. Chicago style Giardiniera sounds like it would be really tasty on these that could be added afterwards for those that want more heat.
You living in the Chicago area you can appreciate jardiniere peppers. I think it would be a great idea. I will say when we ate these the best way to describe the taste was a combo between Chicago style Italian beef sandwiches and pot roast with a kick all on a bun! I really enjoyed them and I hope others do as well. Vince

Old 10-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #49
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Just got back from Mejier. Got the biggest chuck roast they had, 2.86lbs. Should be enough for 4 plus kids. But a little dissapointed, because I was hoping for LOTS of left overs. :D This will go on the smoker around 9:30 am tomorrow. I'll have to look around at other store's chuck roasts for future smokes.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #50
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkncajun View Post
You are the man! Making a Gumbo for the Halloween party, but was looking for something else; after this post I am sold out and will try it on Saturday. Just got half a cow butchered and got a few chuck roast so GAME ON! Pron will follow, just have a napkin handy to catch the drool, just saturated my shirt looking at these pics, haha.
I always like to make things that are easy for parties and this dish is just that. I think this will be a great dish for your party! Please let us know how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ PD View Post
Just BEAUTIFUL. The only thing missing from that recipe is an extra Guiness for the cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Thats why you get one of the 24oz bottles...some for the meat and some for me
I actually had 1 for the meat and 5 for the cook!

Quote:
Just got back from Mejier. Got the biggest chuck roast they had, 2.86lbs. Should be enough for 4 plus kids. But a little dissapointed, because I was hoping for LOTS of left overs. :D This will go on the smoker around 9:30 am tomorrow. I'll have to look around at other store's chuck roasts for future smokes.
I got mine from wally world however I normally do not see them at any stores where they are much bigger than 4lbs. I have read where others buy a "whole chuck roll". These cuts are very large and I believe the smaller roasts we buy come from this cut. If I remember correctly the whole roll could be up to 30 lbs depending on its size. That would probably make plenty of leftovers for the freezer! I think most guys will make them in the 15-20 lb if doing this for a large party or when freezing it for future meals. Please let us know how it turns out and pictures are always welcome around here!

Old 10-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #51
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I made a version of this last night using a lot of fresh cut sage and a dry red wine instead of the Guinness for more of an Italian Beef flavor. Turned out great, thank you Vince. Here's a pic prior to shreading.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.

Last edited by Neil; 11-13-2013 at 03:58 PM..
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #52
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

That looks great Niel. Thanks for sharing. Vince

Old 10-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #53
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

So yesterday I gathered up the ingredients and one the smoker it went. I used a 2.86 lb Angus Chuck Roast from Mejier, which was the biggest one they had. For the peppers, I switched from 3 jalapenos to 2 Anaheim peppers to reduce the heat for others in my house. Cooked per the instructions.

The results were really good. I served with provolone and a little giardinier. It had great smokey flavor mixed with the stout and peppers. I think it actually could have used a little jalapeno pepper, it was missing that zip. My wife agreed. Next time I'll use at least a half a jalapeno. Yes, this will be made again!

Thanks Vince for posting this great recipe!

Last edited by ---k---; 12-23-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #54
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

Ryan those pic's look almost like you copied and pasted mine! Nice job. Looks like you had a nice smoke ring judging by the pictures. Thanks for sharing. Vince

Old 10-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #55
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Great recipe. I'm always looking for new ways to smoke chuck roasts.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2010, 06:49 PM   #56
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince B View Post
Ryan those pic's look almost like you copied and pasted mine! Nice job. Looks like you had a nice smoke ring judging by the pictures. Thanks for sharing. Vince
Yeah, but I used fancy cheese!

I guess I read your post enough times that when I went to take my pictures you were subliminally telling me how to stage the pictures.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:49 PM   #57
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvottawa View Post
It really does look good. My only change would be to take that plastic cheese out and add a few slices of provolone. I love provolone on beef.

Keep on keeping on.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2010, 08:27 PM   #58
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Yeah, but I used fancy cheese!

I guess I read your post enough times that when I went to take my pictures you were subliminally telling me how to stage the pictures.

That there is just funny I don't care who you are! If I could put 10 "thanks" under your last post I would of. The wife and I were rolling when I read it to her. Thanks again buddy! Vince

Old 11-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #59
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

I made this on Halloween and gave out slider size sammies to the parents as treats. They came out great, and were a hugh hit!

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #60
flyingv4me
Full Fledged Farker

Tasty looking, if I do say so! Gotta try that!
flyingv4me is offline   Reply With Quote