MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
platys
Knows what a fatty is.

Talking Help a newbie newbie make ribs without an oven

Hi!

The only way I know how to make ribs involves an oven and aluminum foil. However, I have been inspired.

While the husband does have a thing he calls a smoker, I don't think its been cleaned since about 1859, and I'm not touching it.

So, instead, i was thinking of using our Weber Q with foil packet of chips. Would that work? It does hold heat very well. Should I put the ribs up on the bun rack, and the the chips underneath? Or the chips down by the jets? Or just next to the ribs?
platys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Can you keep the the temperature of the gasser steady somewhere in the 225 to 245 degree range? If you can then I think you have a great idea of putting the ribs on the bun rack and the foil packets of chips down near the flame.

May I personally thank you, from the bottom of our hearts, for you question and desire to do this correct. You've made me very happy today.

Others will chime in soon with lots of suggestions.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
platys
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Can you keep the the temperature of the gasser steady somewhere in the 225 to 245 degree range? If you can then I think you have a great idea of putting the ribs on the bun rack and the foil packets of chips down near the flame.
That is a very good point. I think I'll have to just use the center jets, and make sure it doesn't get too hot in the first place. I know it'll hold 350 for just about forever, but that's using the outside jets on low, after heating things up to that point on medium.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
BBQ Grail

Which Model Weber Q?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
platys
Knows what a fatty is.

It's the 320, so the biggest one.

It is pretty darn cold in Illinois, so that'll help keep the heat down as well.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Try my smoker can method for gas grills - it works great and you'll get far tastier & smokier meat than a smoker box or foil packets.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=72045
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Jet2
Full Fledged Farker

I have a straubelstone gasser and have smoked briskets and ribs on it several times. I use the burner on one side and set a pie pan full of chips and cover with water and set the meat on the opposite side with no flame. Works out great - good luck!
Jet2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Any chance you can use some sort of cake pan filled with water to difuse the flames (don't want to expose your ribs to direct flame)

Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
platys
Knows what a fatty is.

I did a test last night to see what was the lowest temp I could keep on the weber q. Sadly, even with it 33 degrees out, I couldn't get it lower than 300 at 40 minutes out. That's too high for smoking, right?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
Divemaster

Yes it is a bit high, but it's still better than an oven or even Larry's favorite, boiling them....

You are going to have to adjust your timing a bit but I think you can still do it... Think of it this way, even if it doesn't work, you can tell your hubby that you would have done it right if he had just cleaned out the smoker... lol
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

As long as you keep the ribs from direct flame you can still do fine at 300. It will not take as long and you might not get as much smoke flavor, but it will still probably be the best ribs you have ever eaten. Watch for hot spots and be prepared to move the ribs around a bit to get even cooking. Just like using a smoker, half the battle is knowing your equipment and how it reacts. I have smoked on my Weber Genesis before with good results, so it can be done.

Good luck! Preparing like this is the best way to have a success.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
platys
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm from Colorado originally - I grew up on beef ribs, boiled, and then stuck on the grill for about 3 seconds with lots of sauce. :) I think one year my mom made them in the oven after boiling them. Thus, my complete lack of taste as far as ribs go. :)

(Swineola should post about the horror I forced upon him for wedding reception food. :) I think our best man almost walked out.)

Old 12-31-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
Swineola
Knows what a fatty is.

I was thinking that even at 300 it would still be pretty tasty. The Q burner configuration is a bit goofy - it is one burner around the grill like a rectangle, and one burner right through the center. It is really hard to avoid the direct flame but we were going to put the ribs on the bun warmer that stacks a few inches above the rear of the grill surface and as far away from the burner that goes right through the middle of the grill as we can be. I like the pie plate idea to diffuse the heat. We can throw some beer or cider vinegar in there to make it all official :-).

I absolutely think this is worth a try this weekend. It is supposed to be even colder (teens) so that will help a bit too I think.

Thank you everybody for your help and suggestions. This place is awesome :-).

By the way our wedding fare was tasty oven ribs, cheesy taters, wings, queso dip annd other BBQ friendly food. It was a very nice fat man spread :-).
Swineola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Never heard of a Weber gasser with that sort of burner configuration!

Usually there are 2-4 tube type burners, running either front to back or side to side.

Should be easy enough to run on just 1 or 2 burners with the ribs off to the side

Or....maybe you want to run out to the ACE on 75th street and see if they have a WSM???? I guarantee it'd be worth it!
BTW welcome!!!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
platys
Knows what a fatty is.

I may need to rerun the test this afternoon when I get home from work. I just realized I stuck the bun warmer smack in the middle of the grill. which is right over the burner. So, towards the back, it should, in theory, be cooler.