Quanty of meat ?

pipes

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
cooking for 200 people. brisket sausage beans and tator salad. can i get some help. first big cook and want it right. Having trouble figure the quanty. thanks

cooking for 200 people. brisket sausage beans and tator salad. can i get some help. first big cook and want it right. Having trouble figure the quanty. thanks

Hi, Well i had events with 200 people, man get ready to smoke!
I always tend to cook over 200 people just in case. At an average sitting - an average american can eat 2 pounds worth of BBQ before feeling Buffet stuffed. (im 300 6'5 and 2 pounds is usually more than enough)
Portion wise, i would recommend the following per plate:

1 lb brisket
1 lb sausage
4oz beans
4oz salad.

brings you up to a total of 2.5lbs PER PLATE!!! this is more than enough for anyone + extras.

break down should be something similar to this. If you already know from your previous events - which proteins you prepare better, try to swing towards that meat protein a little more.

total breakdown

200 LB brisket
200 LB sausage
800oz Beans
800oz potato salad

hope this helped a bit
thanks

Most literature says 1/4 to 1/3 lb each meat per person with two meats (sausage as the other). You can control this If you serve and that makes it simpler to calculate.

If it's self-serve, then all bets are off. Follow HallalHogSmoker's post then.

Remember that you calculate the amount you buy based on the cooked weight, not it's raw weight. Assume 3 to 5 lbs loss to trimming and 50% loss to the smoker.

So 200 servings X .333 (one third) = 66 lbs cooked. Double that for raw weight = 133.2 raw lbs brisket. At an average of a full packer at 13 lbs trimmed weight, leaves 10 full Packers.

I suggest you do search here since portion questions have been asked and answered hundreds of times. Pick a couple from full time caterers that fit what your planed service. Keeperofsecret is pretty close.

If you don't know your quantity, how did you price the job?

Hi, Well i had events with 200 people, man get ready to smoke!
I always tend to cook over 200 people just in case. At an average sitting - an average american can eat 2 pounds worth of BBQ before feeling Buffet stuffed. (im 300 6'5 and 2 pounds is usually more than enough)
Portion wise, i would recommend the following per plate:

1 lb brisket
1 lb sausage
4oz beans
4oz salad.

brings you up to a total of 2.5lbs PER PLATE!!! this is more than enough for anyone + extras.

break down should be something similar to this. If you already know from your previous events - which proteins you prepare better, try to swing towards that meat protein a little more.

total breakdown

200 LB brisket
200 LB sausage
800oz Beans
800oz potato salad

hope this helped a bit
thanks

2 pounds of meat per person plus sides? No way. I could not eat 2 pounds if you paid me.

Last edited:
Back