Weber rotisserie rig question

jdub

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Fire. And the motor.
What different configurations have you built fires when using the rotisserie and how did it work out?
My take-the ring leaks enough air that whatever fire you light is going to burn pretty fast. I have always used the two weber charcoal baskets and the rig seems to be pretty hot in general. Does a chicken a little too quick-a little dark when done. I thought about spinning a duck but the fat would create a neutron bomb with all that heat.
Now keep in mind that heat works very well at times. I did a lamb leg recently-yummy dark char and a perfect "lamb rare (a hair more than rare)", but I want to fool with dropping the temp a bit. Soooooooo, how do you build fires and what results have you seen?

Also, rotisserie speed. My rotiss rig is Weber, but the motor was found at Lowe's. It runs at 1 rpm. Seems really slow, whaddya think?

OK boys n girls, help me out. Wife and kids are gone for a few days, work is slow rain is coming. I plan on doing three things, fishing in the rain, playing with the cookers in search of the yummiest food ever ( a jerk chicken ig going on the spinner), and.......you know what lets just make it two things.

I have the Weber rotisserie and it works good for me. I put a drip pan under the food and have beds of coals on each side of the pan for a semi-indirect cook. The fat drips to the pan preventing the "neutron bomb" and I can control the heat pretty easy with the bottom damper and by the amount of coals. I use some water in the pan which helps buffer the temp and also prevents the grease from catching fire.

Does that help any?? I want to see how others on here are doing it.

I've found that if I load the baskets and fire them off with a torch (Minion style) instead of dumping hot coals on top of unlit briqs/lump, I get more even temps @350*+ and longer burn times.
If I'm using wood for smoke I'll sometimes soak it and set it off to the sides of the burning coals so it smolders rather than burns and raises the temps.
With fatty cuts I may add water to the drip pan to keep the possibility of it flaring up. I try to stay away from marinades like teriyaki or rubs with a lot of sugar to keep chicken skin from burning. Injecting or herbed butter under the skin and basting chicken/turkey has turned out great for me.
I've got a Weber setup and an EZ-Que and the rotis motors are about the same speed, they do seem slow and I've at times considered using one basket of coals at a time, but never have gotten to that "experimental stage". I've never had any problem with the rotis rings and have used both on different kettles and my drums to where the gaps were an issue.
Have fun and post some pics!

You do about what I do, I am wondering how a slower fire works and how people get it.

Also, how about a hot fire and a faster moving spit? How would that work, huh?

Back