Pulled Pork Carnitas

pat

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Found this recipe on backyardbash.com and decided to try it out for football Sunday :biggrin:.

One Boston bone-in pork butt
Yellow mustard
Dry Rub (recipe below)
2 Cups Orange Juice
1 ½ Cups Coca Cola
Two Oranges
Two Limes
Two cloves garlic peeled
Dutch oven slightly larger than cooked butt.

Brush pork butt with yellow mustard and sprinkle liberally with dry rub the night before.

Smoke pork butt until meat temperature is 170 – 175 degrees and has a nice crust.

Remove from smoke and put in a Dutch oven slightly larger than the cooked butt. Add the orange juice and Coke. Quarter the oranges and limes and add. Add two whole cloves of garlic.

Cover and put back in smoker or oven and bring to strong simmer until pork can be pulled. This normally takes a couple of hours. Once you can easily remove the bone, roughly pull or break up the pork inside the pan. Remove the fruit peels and return to smoker or oven until liquids are absorbed.

Finish pulling or chopping the pork. Sprinkle with a little more rub and toss before serving with warm tortillas, fresh salsa, guacamole or any other toppings you prefer.

Dry Rub
1/3 Cup Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
1/3 Cup Sugar
½ Tsp. Seasoned Pepper
1 Tsp Ground New Mexico Chile
1/8 Tsp Ground Jalepeno
1/8 Tsp Ground Cayenne
1/8 Tsp Ground Chipotle Powder
1 Tsp Chile Powder
1 Tbls Ground Cumin
1/8 Tsp Ground Thyme
1/8 Tsp Oregeno
1 Tsp Spanish Paprika

Threw the pork on my egg at 1:00 a.m. Saturday night and grabbed a little sleep. Checked the egg a couple of times and it was holding temp fine so back to sleep......Woke up at 7:30 Sunday, grabbed the thermapen and the butt was at 200* :eek::shock: 6 1/2 hours for a 7 1/2# butt! Pulled the thermometer out of the egg and boiled some water.......dang thing was reading 50+ degrees low :mad:

Threw the butt in the dutch oven and proceeded with the recipe. Turned out really tasty. Had a strong citrus taste to it and made some killer tacos! Didn't get any pics of the tacos but trust me they were farkin great :cool:

002-7.jpg

004-8.jpg

5-11-08018.jpg

What's left of the limes and oranges....

5-11-08019.jpg

Threw on a 5# chuckie with Ployboy's Bovine Bold (good chit mang!) and some ABT's for dinner....

5-11-08025.jpg

5-11-08028.jpg

5-11-08029.jpg

Last edited:
Maaaaannnnn. That looks good enough to eat. I'll definitely be trying that cause I love carnitas.

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds Great! Nothin like fast trackin a butt:rolleyes:

Paul

Thanks guys!

Dave--did you get the cooler in the Royal??

Great looking pulled pork carnitas there Pat. Did you make a killer pico de gallo to put on those tacos? Yum!

Great looking pulled pork carnitas there Pat. Did you make a killer pico de gallo to put on those tacos? Yum!

Yo Robbie. Was gonna make the pico and then a buddy of mine brought over some habenaro salsa :twisted: Talk about hot chit :shock:

Perfect! Glad it worked. A man has to have his cooler of beer!!

oh yeah.. very nice! I would hit a few or 10 of them taco's! Nice Pron too, thanks for sharing.

Musta been a Blue pen, lol.
The rest looks and sounds pretty darn good.

Nice job, should have brought a (insert color here) Thermapen instead of a Red one!

Jeff

Back