MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
bigben800
Got Wood.

Default Advice on a build

Hey guys thinking of building a trailer mounted offset. Obviously need to get a welder. I was wondering what type do you guys recommend. The smoker will be mobile, so I would think the welds on the firebox, as well as the foundation and trailer itself need to be pretty heavy duty. Do I need to use the stick or can I use mig on the whole shabang? I am not a very experienced welder if that helps anything. Thanks!!
bigben800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

You will be happier with a mig welder than a stick. Miller and Lincoln both make great small welders than can weld 1/4". If you don't weld much you can get away with a 120 volt low duty unit. Get the gas bottle either C02 or 75/25 will work. With C02 you can use it on your kegerator also!
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
bigben800
Got Wood.

I like the kegerator idea!!! Thanks. I have seen a lot of video and mig looks like it would be better for a beginner. I know a lot of it has to do with the operator but one of those units will suffice to weld up the trailer as well?
bigben800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

You get what you pay for and you paying for duty cycle(the amount of time you can weld without overheating the welder) don't waste your money on 120v hobby rig for building a Trailer pit. Go for a220v they run smoother for the money Hobart makes a decent machine that won't get into the beer money.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Mig 220v is the way to go.If you're fabricating the trailer you want to be sure you have good penetration. And the trailer should be thicker than 1/4" so the 120 won't do the job.
As Smoke dawg said get the gas 75/25, the flux core isn't all that great in my opinion and that mix gives you a more stable gas envelope to keep your welds clean.

Good luck

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
awscwi
Full Fledged Farker

Miller 211 will do you nicely!

Old 12-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

just rememeber if you get a 220v model you will need a 220v outlet to plug the sucker into
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

I am with the 220 volt mig using .035 solid wire and 75%Argon 25%Co2. The duty cycle on a smaller welder is very low prolly 20% which means you can weld 2 minutes out of 10 continuously.

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Yep, the wire will be fine if you stay with solid core wire with gas mix OR dual shield flux core ( not the same as the innershield gasless fluxcore) The dual shield uses flux within the wire as well as shielding gas. The el cheapo flux core (innershield that is gasless) isn't as clean, reliable and I wouldn't trust it putting a trailer frame together.

Just my opinion though.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
STCL01
On the road to being a farker

How thick is your material going to be for your pit? Are you a hobbyist that will use the welder again for other projects? A good 220v MIG is going to cost you a grand. It is more versatile and you will be happier with it. I'm just thinking that if you are going to spend money on a trailer, the pit material, a welder, and the accessories for the welder with consumables, you are getting close to the price of purchasing one.

Now don't get me wrong, I like to do my own stuff. My wife still just shakes her head, but I have gotten to the point where my money is less valuable than my time.

Stick works better on thicker material, but it takes some practice. A good 120v welder with a decent duty cycle will handle up to about 1/4". Flux core will get you better penetration than gas, but the welds are not as clean. Remember that if you are welding outside the wind can be a factor with gas shielding and flux core may be your only option, unless you also have a stick to use as a backup.

If you go 120v you may have to weld it grind it out and make another pass to get the penetration that you need. It can be done, it just takes more time and effort.

If you are set on doing it then I'd see if I couldn't find me a friend or an acquaintance with some equipment that would let me try it out to see what I liked best. Then get it an practice. Remember that just because something is stuck together and looks good that it may not be a good weld. You will have a lot of forces in effect on a trailer mounted rig, and it needs to be right.

So if you are set on it, I would get the 220v MIG. Go with 75/25 mix.
STCL01 is offline   Reply With Quote