Experimenting with Phosphates

Stark-O-Rama

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello fellow Brethren! After over a year of scouring these posts daily, I'm finally going to post, and become an active member.

So -

I'm wondering what ratio's work best for TriPoly Phosphate injections, and soaks. Any advice?

Phosphates are used in hotdogs, cleaning products and enemas :wacko: if that tells you anything...

Plenty of BBQ'rs are using phosphates. Both Kosmos Q and Butchers BBQ sell phosphates with instructions on how to use them in your Q. Hope this helps!:thumb:

Phosphates are used in hotdogs, cleaning products and enemas :wacko: if that tells you anything...

That says absolutely nothing. :blah: :mmph: The reason people add phospates to their Que is to replace the phospates that are lost after the animal was slaughtered.

Phosphorus is an essential mineral in all living things, and is critical to each cell's ability to store and convert energy. Like most nutrients, some phosphorus is continually lost during normal biological processes and must be replenished. In combination with calcium, an ongoing phosphorus supply (in the form of phosphates) is essential to maintaining healthy bones and teeth and proper blood chemistry. Phosphates have been used safely for over 100 years. The European Union’s Scientific Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies assessed food phosphates in 2005, within its ongoing studies of vitamins and minerals. The Committee concluded that there is no evidence of adverse effects. Food phosphates have been used safely for over 100 years. Phosphates are used in a wide range of processed meat, poultry and seafood in which they perform several functions. Phosphates improve the retention of natural fluids in the animal muscle that would otherwise be lost in the death of the animal. They also act as protein solubilizers to aid in binding processed meats. Their presence results in improved texture, flavor and color.

Plenty of BBQ'rs are using phosphates. Both Kosmos Q and Butchers BBQ sell phosphates with instructions on how to use them in your Q. Hope this helps!:thumb:

Even if you aren't buying the bag o' phosphates, most of the BBQ products (especially injections) from Kosmos, Butchers, FAB, etc. have phosphates already in them.

I think it is more that phosphates and the amounts used are one of those closely held bits of information. Not everyone wants to share, and certainly many do not want to share with everyone everywhere. I have used them but, mostly by using Butcher's injection

Thank you. My goal however is to make my own concoction.

Even if you aren't buying the bag o' phosphates, most of the BBQ products (especially injections) from Kosmos, Butchers, FAB, etc. have phosphates already in them.

Thank you. Not only do I want to make a brine with the phosphates, but my own injections as well. I'm trying to go as SCRATCH as possible. It's part of the fun for me.

Well, at least nobody uses MSG :wink:

LMAO!:clap:

I would stay away from Sodium bicarbonate in an injection. In my experience it makes the meat spongy. Especially in an aged frozen brisket.

Back