• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hot bricks in Cambro

P

PorkQPine

Anyone used hot bricks on a 4" pan in the cambro to help maintain heat and blue ice in a 4" pan in another cambro to help maintain cold?

A Cambro says it loses 1 degree an hour. I'm not sure what kind of holding times you're looking for, but if you put piping hot food in a cambro, it'll be piping hot hours later unless you open and close it alot. The cold side I'm not as familar with, but I would think the same would apply. The blue ice wouldn't hurt. If nothing else, you can pre cool, or pre heat prior to putting foods in.

honestly, I didn't know how to answer, I use a Cambro only for holding, if I am not careful, I can get food to continue cooking in a cambro, I wouldn't add any heat to the device at all.

trust me, you will never have a problem of holding heat, ever. (disclaimer,,, I only held meat, longest, 8 hours, still pipping hot!)

I pre-heat my cambros with boiling water in a 2" pan for about 30 minutes before I use them.

I load them with butts and brisket off the smoker, and up to 6-7 hours later the meat is still too hot to handle.

I remove the water before I load the cambro.

pete

Thanks, I just got two 400's and was wondering about pre-heating or cooling but from the responses I got I was overthinking it.

I've got a used MPC 400 with a gasket that leaks a little at the top of the door. It will still hold temps very well, like up to 8 hours with no problem.

FYI - most HD's will not allow you to hold food in a cambro for longer than 4 hours. Neeed a commercial holding unit with heating elements. I looked at them but can jut use the cambro as I don't hold that long.

I pre-cool mine, and have not found pre-heating necessary...

I always preheat with a kettle of boiling water. They do have a heating element option for the 400 series now..

you could also use camwarmers and camchillers and thermabarriers if you want one cambro to hold hot and cold food

Cambro brick red ultra pan carrier for 8" deep pans when you need a quick and easy way to store or transport one full size food pan of hot or cold food. Thanks!

Back