I Litterally Could Not Believe What My Eyes Were Seeing...

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Yes. In Save A Lot. Just down the sidewalk from the Food Stamp Office where I work in some God Forsaken Belz Properties Strip Mall on Jackson Avenue in North Memphis. Yes. It's my hood. On the fringe of Nutbush, where I live. We gots ALL kinda folks here. Mexicans and Central Americans, South East Asians, just a few blocks over Arabs in Berclair. African and European Americans. Both groups pretty country. And let me tell you about Save A Lot. Cheap prices on beef. Sort of. But, said beef is ALL ungraded. All it has is the USDA Inspected sticker. None of it worth buying. Then, they had a wonderful selection of pork necks, and mixed chops that actually had some marbling in them so I was tempted. The pork necks would be most excellent smoked. Then, there are the groceries. The brands that look like real brands, but aren't, and come at a discount. Then, there are the oddities. I present the object of my WTF in the Save A Lot moment.

kRAUTtATERsALAD_zps92750606.jpg

Yessir. German Potato Salad...in a CAN. I did not know such a thing existed, let alone ever having imagined there should even BE such a thing. Yet, there it was.

Do you know what the going rate for a can of German Potato Salad is at the Save A Lot? Seventy...nine...cents. So I bought one. Had to. We're having it tonight with sandwiches. Oh Freaking Boy. :mrgreen:

Anybody else have one of these moments?

What you talking bout Willis.... that sh--t is good!! Bet you aint even had the hash in the can either.

I used to take cans of that and three bean salad to work. Needed no refrigeration, and was a change from potato chips.

We used to have the same thing up in Wisconsin when I was in college. German Potato Salad in a can with one of those plain private labels that only said what it was. And extremely cheap. Was a nice addition to a poor college students diet!

I love how that can has a description in Spanish as well.

What you talking bout Willis.... that sh--t is good!! Bet you aint even had the hash in the can either.

Hash in a can sucks! Had it regularly when a kid......Never again!
That can of potato salad has to be on a par w/ canned hash.

Cheap prices on beef. Sort of. But, said beef is ALL ungraded. All it has is the USDA Inspected sticker.

Cannot speak for Save A Lot.. BUt have a place close to home that runs ridiculous sales on steaks of "inspected" beef.. If you know someone there or what you are looking at which I am sure you do, you would be shocked what you can get for 1/3 to 1/4 the price compared to other establishments..

Class it up with your Larry the Cable Guy rubs and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Actually the German Potato salad we buy at our local Wally World, and Publix, along with Kroger is quite good for a caned product. It is tangy and well flavored. Goes great with some good Polish Kielbasa and sourcrout. Not something you want on a regular basis, but good enough when you don't want to cook an elaborate meal. Quick and out of a can, (except the Kielbasa of course) ready in about 15 minutes. Follow with your favorite antacid for desert if you have a sensitive stomach. :mrgreen:

Read is the local brand available here and even has a suggestion on the label on how to enjoy with some good Bar B Que! Can't beat that! Try it, you might be surprised and like it!

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

Actually the German Potato salad we buy at our local Wally World, and Publix, along with Kroger is quite good for a caned product. It is tangy and well flavored. Goes great with some good Polish Kielbasa and sourcrout. Not something you want on a regular basis, but good enough when you don't want to cook an elaborate meal. Quick and out of a can, (except the Kielbasa of course) ready in about 15 minutes. Follow with your favorite antacid for desert if you have a sensitive stomach. :mrgreen:

Read is the local brand available here and even has a suggestion on the label on how to enjoy with some good Bar B Que! Can't beat that! Try it, you might be surprised and like it!

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

I don't know about their German potato salad, but Kroger's regular old mayo potato salad is pretty good. I still like the emotional bonus of making my own -- that, and the bacon bits I put in mine -- but I could eat a bucket of Kroger's potato salad in a weekend, and be happy about it.

CD

Back