Sliced instead of pulled?

M

Mokin Bandit

I achieved this once, mostly by accident. It was really good and I see a lot of people doing it for comps instead of pulling.

I'm guessing its a matter of internal temp and would like to try doing it again this weekend. So what are some of your guises methods?

If memory serves me correctly. The one time I set out for sliced pork I pulled it from the smoker at 165 degrees. Rested for 15 minutes and sliced.

If memory serves me correctly. The one time I set out for sliced pork I pulled it from the smoker at 165 degrees. Rested for 15 minutes and sliced.

Yep, that is about what I do for sliced butt. It can go up a little internal, maybe to 180 and still slice nice, if you don't cooler it too long. Just a little rest on the counter, loosly covered.

The way I got around to the sliced prok butt was a few weeks ago. I smoked the shoulder for roughly 14 hours. I didnt have my Sunkist Orange Thermapen at the time and my chitty charmglow thermometer wasnt working so I went on feel.

Also with approzimately 19 beers in me I came to the conclusion that it was time to get it off of the weber. Foiled and coolered. Fell asleep for a few hours, woke up and popped in the fridge.

I didnt have a chance to pull after that. So I sliced the entire butt and it was great.

My method. Damn sure not perfect, but it was fun.:biggrin:

The one time I achieved it i did just throw it in the fridge....

I'll just experiment and do 2 butts and pull them off at different internals.

It depends on what muscle(s) you are trying to slice. If you want to slice the whole butt or a group of muscles I'd take it off around 180-185F. But individual muscles slice just fine at 200+ if you use a sharp knife.

It depends on what muscle(s) you are trying to slice. If you want to slice the whole butt or a group of muscles I'd take it off around 180-185F. But individual muscles slice just fine at 200+ if you use a sharp knife.

I've tried and mine always tear instead of slicing. I'm trying to slice it hot, do you have to cool it down first?

Back