Having trouble with Simply Marvelous Rubs

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Our kids' school gave every family a turkey for Thanksgiving. Now, I can't figure out which S.M. rub to use on it!!!! They all sound good on turkey. Why must they all be so darn tasty!?!?!?

Okay, suggestions? I know Cherry works well. I'm out of Pecan for now. Apple??? Anyone tried Sweet Seduction on turkey? Seriously, I don't know if it's from not sleeping in three weeks, or just being dumb, but I can't make a decision. What say the Brethren????

Thanks for any help - otherwise, I'm gonna mix them all together and pull the trigger...

I am doing one of the 2 turkey's with season-all. No need for a sweet flavor for us but if I was out of the Season-All I would probably go with the Sweet Seduction and HDD mix that Redhot and Degurree (sp) went with on their pork loin.

That looks like it would make a killer turkey.

My trouble is that I just want to eat it right out of the shaker. I'm not going to have any left by the time I want to use it as an actual rub.

Cherry is my favorite right now - I am putting it on everything.
Why not do 1/2 and 1/2 - who says the whole thing needs to be one rub???

I'd say you need to consider the rest of the meat when making a decision, the flavor profile needs to make sense in the big picture.

I just can't get past the fact that your kid's school gave every single family a turkey! That's fantastic! What kind of school does he go to, anyway? Wow. I think if schools here started doing that, there'd be mass strokes amongst the general public.

I love the SM cherry and Sweet and Spicey, but on the turkey I suggest the SM season all... I am going to inject a bone in breast with cajun butter then use the season all on the outside:thumb: should be outstanding!!!!!!!!

For a lot of his rubs, Steph suggested to me to start with his Season All, and then add either the Apple or Cherry. I've really been favoring the Cherry lately, but I'm thinking of using the Apple, and putting apple juice in the Turkey Sitter (looks like a wide based coffee cup that the bird sits down over, like a beer can).

I did a pratice bird this past sunday,i used sweet seduction on it and it was Fanfarkintastic!!!! A 21 lb bird disapeared quick and everyone was ranting how good it was! I will be using it on christmas when i do the next one :)

My smoked turkey will be getting seasoned with JT's Smokin BBQ magic rub (Indaniagriller) and SM season-all. I will mix some of JT's rub and butter and inject the heck out of the breasts and then season all over the skin and under with both rubs.

I want to thank Indania Griller for sending me a couple sample bags of his rub and a bottle of his BBQ sauce. :thumb: He sent it because I could not get into the gigantic give a way contest because I paid for a sub 16hours before the contest was announced.

The rub is farking AWESOME on chicken! I just did a spatchcocked chicken yesterday and that baby rocked!! 1/2 was with JT's Magic rub and the other 1/2 for my wife was done with pecan rub by SM and both were excellent!

I just can't get past the fact that your kid's school gave every single family a turkey! That's fantastic! What kind of school does he go to, anyway? Wow. I think if schools here started doing that, there'd be mass strokes amongst the general public.

Both kids go to a small Lutheran school. I am a Lutheran Pastor nearby. The turkeys are donated by a local grocer.

I think if Lani will let me use her seasoning I will try that with some black pepper. Whatcha think Steph?

Thanks all for the replies...except for the guy who wanted me to use half and half. I mean...really? Milk products??? Lol

I like to mix them up. Doing one with a Sweet Seduction and Pecan rub blend and another with a cherry apple blend. Because you can't do just one when turkey is so cheap right now right? Right?

I'd go with Apple if it were me, but that's because I'm smoking mine with apple wood and usually stuff a quartered apple and onion inside the turkey while it cooks, and for some reason it just seems right to take the theme and run with it :p

Both kids go to a small Lutheran school. I am a Lutheran Pastor nearby. The turkeys are donated by a local grocer.

I think if Lani will let me use her seasoning I will try that with some black pepper. Whatcha think Steph?

Thanks all for the replies...except for the guy who wanted me to use half and half. I mean...really? Milk products??? Lol

I think you have a winner! :thumb:

Dang you, Steph, why must your rubs be so good!!!!????!!!!

I have to admit, I added some S.M. Cherry to the brine.

Back