MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
RuBBQCo
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Meat Amounts

I am still fairly new in the business, and while I have a pretty good idea of how much meat to cook for this event, I'd really appreciate the insight of some seasoned veterans to see what they would do.

# of people: 75

Meats: Ribs (spare), Chicken (specifically asked for half chickens split into leg/thigh and breast/wing sections prior to serving).

Sides: Baked beans, Potato salad, Green beans, Macaroni and Cheese

How many slabs of ribs and half chickens would you prepare for this # of people with this # of sides (keeping in mind that each half chicken will ultimately = 2 pieces)?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
Kimo1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kimo1

19 racks and because you are forced to give 2 pieces of chicken per serving, 38 halves would be a base.
Kimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-28-2018, 05:25 AM   #3
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you guess, you will always be the bad guy, when something runs out. When I catered, I always specified in the contract the customer's request, X number of plates of ribs, and X number of plates of chicken quarters.

It takes guessing out of the equation and prevents them from putting the blame on you when something runs out. No one knows the people better than the customer themselves.

Clearly define your obligation and go from there. Then define the meat as 1/2, 1/3, or a 1/4 slab per person. You already know they are requesting 1/4 chicken per plate.

Thus a starting point.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-28-2018, 06:14 AM   #4
RuBBQCo
Knows what a fatty is.

Thank you both for the feedback!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

When it comes to ribs I ask the client how many bones per person they would like. I'd suggest the chicken quarter pp and 2-3 bones and let them decide. Once they decide I tell them to let guests know not to take more than that amount per person. Otherwise, you'll see people piling ribs on their plates like they are at a crab leg buffet.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
RuBBQCo
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks HBMTN!

Just to make sure that I am understanding you correctly, for 75 people you would suggest 75 chicken quarters and 150-225 individual ribs (2-3 per person), giving them the option to have a chicken quarter and 2-3 ribs if they chose to?
Old 03-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

I would price it as a quarter of chicken per person with all those sides. Then have them specify how many racks of ribs they would like at $19/rack. That is a lot of food.

Imagine 4 ounces per side and the 1/4 chicken. With just those items that accounts for over 1.5 pounds of food/person. That is enough for the biggest of eaters unless it is a "grazing" event.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
If you guess, you will always be the bad guy, when something runs out. When I catered, I always specified in the contract the customer's request, X number of plates of ribs, and X number of plates of chicken quarters.

It takes guessing out of the equation and prevents them from putting the blame on you when something runs out. No one knows the people better than the customer themselves.

Clearly define your obligation and go from there. Then define the meat as 1/2, 1/3, or a 1/4 slab per person. You already know they are requesting 1/4 chicken per plate.

Thus a starting point.
I really like that idea, I wish I'd seen it sooner! Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuBBQCo View Post
Thanks HBMTN!

Just to make sure that I am understanding you correctly, for 75 people you would suggest 75 chicken quarters and 150-225 individual ribs (2-3 per person), giving them the option to have a chicken quarter and 2-3 ribs if they chose to?

We serve buffet style and guests serve themselves and as much as they wish with the exception of ribs. I price the job to the client based on how many bones per person they would like. I would recommend they select 3-3 bones per person. I've had clients choose as many as 5 bones per person. So if I were cooking for an on-site service I'd have 100 leg quarters (to be safe) and 2-3 bones pp. I always err on the side of having too much instead of running out. 25 extra leg quarters costs $20-$25 but running out of food would cost you $$$$ in the long run. Just my 2 cents I use small leg quarters though but if you are using larger quarters you could reduce the amount some.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #10
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Chicken & ribs are about as easy as it gets. All pieces per person are easily specified. One quarter per person (don't make them super large quarters), and have them choose 2-3 ribs per plate/person. Easy, simple, done.

If it's a buffet line, that is where you complicate things. Portion everything & it won't be any easier.