2” Ribeye with Bourbon Sauce

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This is a continuation of my Ribeye Roast thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206715

Here we go getting things ready.

I start out by pressing in some minced garlic, fresh ground sea salt and fresh ground pepper into the steak. I sealed that up and let it rest for 5 hours.

I also got some of the 1” steaks ready for my wife, MIL and our neighbors. (Neighbors later called and had to cancel)

I seasoned them with Montreal seasoning and fresh ground pepper.

Here are the ingredients for the Bourbon Sauce.

I also got out the Brussel Sprouts and all the ingredients for them to cook in.

I cut them in half and drizzled them with EVOO w/ Basil and then fresh ground sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

I washed up the potatoes and nuked them some before putting them on the kamado.

For the Baked potatoes I went down and got some Chives from my garden.

Now I start preparing the sauce for the Brussels sprouts. Fry up some bacon until crisp. Dice or crumble this and reserve to add later.

Next take a ¼ red onion and 2 cloves of garlic and cook until soft. (I used the pre-minced garlic so I used 2 tsp.)

Next add the Chardonnay (any red wine will do) and let it simmer for 3 minutes.

Now add the sprouts trying to face them down in the sauce.

Add the bacon, flip every couple of minutes and cook until somewhat soft.

And now for the main course, Ribeye with Bourbon sauce. Place in kamado (at 250) on indirect side until it reaches an IT of 110.

While that’s cooking make up the Bourbon sauce. Melt ½ stick of butter and then add ½ a finely diced onion and a 1 tsp. of garlic and let caramelize.

Now add 2 tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce, ¼ cup of Bourbon, 1/2 tsp. of mustard powder and a dash of Sriracha and let this reduce to half.

Once the steak gets to 110 remove and loosely wrap in foil. Open up the vents and let the kamado come up to searing temps. (I was at a dome temp of 650 so the temp at the grill was around 750)

Sear them for 2 to 3 minutes per side. (Forgot to get pics :twitch:)
Here it is plated with a Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA

Then I sliced it.

Fork shot!

And re-plated it.

Oh man was this good! :becky:

Brussel sprouts are the most evil vile and disgusting of Gods creations - I hated them more that Hitler, Ho Chi Minh, Stalin, Charles Manson, and a local car dealer when I was a young and after years decided I would try them again, besides they just look like baby cabbage. Vomit, barf, blowin' chunks, fecal nasty. So my son, who was sous chef at an extraordinary fine dining restaurant in Cincinnati invited me and the wife for an amazing anniversary dinner with a 12 course tasting menu - one of those courses was the dreaded Brussel sprout! I farkin' loved'em. These were cooked down for hours and resembled escargot in flavor and appearance.

I'm a convert if cooked like this. I've always wondered if doing so in a smoker would add any more flavor to the game?

That is one fine looking plate, brother! Too bad your neighbors had to cancel. Please feel free to send me their steaks. :wink:

Brussel sprouts are the most evil vile and disgusting of Gods creations - I hated them more that Hitler, Ho Chi Minh, Stalin, Charles Manson, and a local car dealer when I was a young and after years decided I would try them again, besides they just look like baby cabbage. Vomit, barf, blowin' chunks, fecal nasty. So my son, who was sous chef at an extraordinary fine dining restaurant in Cincinnati invited me and the wife for an amazing anniversary dinner with a 12 course tasting menu - one of those courses was the dreaded Brussel sprout! I farkin' loved'em. These were cooked down for hours and resembled escargot in flavor and appearance.

I'm a convert if cooked like this. I've always wondered if doing so in a smoker would add any more flavor to the game?
Well you were not alone in thinking that Brussel Sprouts were nasty tasting. I thought that about them also but read some posts (with pics) on another forum that I should give them another chance. These were posts from members I trusted and they both said that they were fed them at a resturant and they didn't know they what they were. They liked them so much that they asked their server what the side dish was. When they found out it was Brussel Strouts they were floored. I decided to give them another try and made these for myself and my wife. When I told her I was going to make Brussel Sprouts her face scrunched up and she looked like she was about to spit. I was told in no uncertain terms that she "hate, hate, hated" Brussel Sprouts. I related the story of my forum friends and with much coaxing I got her to agree to take one, and only one, bite. After making these for the first time she took her bite and was amazed that she actually like them. She even said "next time we have company you need to make these again". A complete 180 degree swing in her opinion of them.

I believe the problem with Brussel Sprouts is that in years earlier they were sold to people who didn't know that they let off a near noxious gas when they are boiled. The only way to cook them is roasting or sauted. This recipe I made is really good but is by no means the only good recipe for this much maligned vegetable. Give it another go. We are happy that we did.

Back