MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
cabrego
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : cabrego
Default Holding Briskets for 12+hrs?

Howdy all,

Now that we are cooking on a larger scale (for us at least), we would like to consider holding briskets and boston butts for a longer period of time.

The process would go something like this, put meat in at around 9 or 10 am, cook for about 12 hours, then let rest and hold at around 150-160. We would from about 10 pm to about 10 am the following day.

I've seen a few threads on this, and I've heard Franklin does something like this. Just curious if anyone has any practical experience with this.

Any thoughts?
cabrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 08-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

It's pretty common to hold for 10-12 hrs. I do 10-11 all the time in a warming cabinet. I'd recommend holding at 145 if possible. If you hold too hot it can dry things out.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
cabrego
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicket View Post
It's pretty common to hold for 10-12 hrs. I do 10-11 all the time in a warming cabinet. I'd recommend holding at 145 if possible. If you hold too hot it can dry things out.
Thanks for the quick response! I'm hoping this might help with our sleep schedule for some events that begin early.

When you hold, do you wait for the meat cool down to 165, before holding it at 145. Or do you let the meat cool to 145, then hold at 145?

I should also mention that we will transfer meat from the holding 'oven' to cambros and insulated coolers for transport at which point we could fire up the pit and hold at 145-150 or just leave in cambros/coolers for the 4 hr vending window.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

For a year I commercially cooked bone-in pork belly, beef short ribs (especially) and some brisket on a Wednesday, finish about 6pm and hold in a CVap at 150F and setting 5 and then serve out of the CVap the next night. We all considered the beef to be as good or better than it was with a 2 hour hold, while the pork was, at its best, as good as direct from the cabinet smoker, or to my mind not quite as “fresh”, say 95% as good.

A CVap is a tremendous machine if you have to hold in a commercial situation.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:55 AM   #5
minAL
On the road to being a farker

I hold briskets for 12+ hrs every week. I let them cool to at least 150 degrees and then hold in warming cabinet at 140-145. In my mind it makes a quality product.
minAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:19 AM   #6
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrego View Post
Thanks for the quick response! I'm hoping this might help with our sleep schedule for some events that begin early.

When you hold, do you wait for the meat cool down to 165, before holding it at 145. Or do you let the meat cool to 145, then hold at 145?

I should also mention that we will transfer meat from the holding 'oven' to cambros and insulated coolers for transport at which point we could fire up the pit and hold at 145-150 or just leave in cambros/coolers for the 4 hr vending window.
I will usually let them sit (wrapped) on the counter for an hour then put them in the warming cabinet. Sometimes I don't even do that, I just go straight in. I usually transfer to coolers an hour or so before serving and keep them there and pull as needed during a 3-4 hour serving window. It works out fine.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #7
PaulstheRibList
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : BishopofBBQ

Holding in a CVAP is no problem for that 12 hour window.
> Huge Insulated Cabinet #WhoDat1
> Pitmaker.com Grillmeister, 24"x48" Charcoal Grill
> Jambo Backyard Stickburner
> Pitmaker.com Vault Insulated Vertical Reverse Flow Smoker
@BishopofBBQ
PaulstheRibList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #8
cabrego
Found some matches.

Thank you all for the responses, I did not have notifications active. So, it has taken me a while to get back to everyone.

Since my original post, I have held Briskets and Butts for 12+ hours on two occasions. They came out fantastic!

I do not have a CVAP. I am using my smoker which has a PID controller set to 155. I found that it is extremely important to allow the meat to come down to temp before holding. I don't think this is news for most of you.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #9
Q_Done_Right

Question

Quote:
Thank you all for the responses, I did not have notifications active. So, it has taken me a while to get back to everyone.

Since my original post, I have held Briskets and Butts for 12+ hours on two occasions. They came out fantastic!

I do not have a CVAP. I am using my smoker which has a PID controller set to 155. I found that it is extremely important to allow the meat to come down to temp before holding. I don't think this is news for most of you.
What temp are you allowing the meat to come down to before holding at 155? And are you holding tightly wrapped in a couple layers of heavy duty foil, butcher paper, food service film or some combination of a couple of these?
Q_Done_Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
cabrego
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Done_Right View Post
What temp are you allowing the meat to come down to before holding at 155? And are you holding tightly wrapped in a couple layers of heavy duty foil, butcher paper, food service film or some combination of a couple of these?
Usually have I have been in quite a scramble so it has not been as controlled as I would have liked but, I believe my best results were when I let the meat rest down the 145-150 range then held at 160. It took a couple of hours to bring back up to 160.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #11
cabrego
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Done_Right View Post
Oh and to answer your question, I wrap briskets in butcher paper and keep butts foiled in pans, or individually wrapped in foil depending on quantity. I try not to disturb anything that has been wrapped, by opening / rewrapping if not necessary.

I don't know if this is right or wrong, but it's what I do.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #12
Q_Done_Right

Quote:
Oh and to answer your question, I wrap briskets in butcher paper and keep butts foiled in pans, or individually wrapped in foil depending on quantity. I try not to disturb anything that has been wrapped, by opening / rewrapping if not necessary.

I don't know if this is right or wrong, but it's what I do.
Thanks for all your info!
Q_Done_Right is offline   Reply With Quote