MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #61
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
Comparing has a simple definition. In this instance he stated it looked like many other boxes. We are not judging compared to many other boxes. We are also judging the meat, not the other parts of the box. Is it the same color as many other turn ins or are we talking about layout??? What are we comparing to may other boxes? Experienced judge would know not to compare to other boxes.
<LOL> Thanks. I needed that! </LOL>
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #62
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
<LOL> Thanks. I needed that! </LOL>
Anytime!!
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #63
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Sled only listed 2.. Where were all the other 13's u got? More than 2 had to make it famous.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #64
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Sled must be sick???? Not many posts today.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #65
Bentley
Babbling Farker

[quote=OC PIG ASSASSINS;772906]Comparing has a simple definition. In this instance he stated it looked like many other boxes. We are not judging compared to many other boxes. We are also judging the meat, not the other parts of the box. quote]

Keep up the good work. As a CBJ judge or ex-CBJ judge like me, I need to be reminded of this stuff...And I am serious and not joking!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #66
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Keep up the good work. As a CBJ judge or ex-CBJ judge like me, I need to be reminded of this stuff...And I am serious and not joking![/quote]

Don't quit on us, we needed good judges!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #67
ihbobry
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Comparing has a simple definition. In this instance he stated it looked like many other boxes. We are not judging compared to many other boxes. We are also judging the meat, not the other parts of the box. Is it the same color as many other turn ins or are we talking about layout??? What are we comparing to may other boxes? Experienced judge would know not to compare to other boxes.
Your over thinking this in an effort to discount what I said. Your box is un-remarkable. It is like any other box. If your box was special in some way it would not be like any other box. It's average my brother. You can put thoughts and interpitations into my mouth (none of which are true) to make yourself feel better but it's still average. None of that is comparative.
ihbobry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #68
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbobry View Post
Your over thinking this in an effort to discount what I said. Your box is un-remarkable. It is like any other box. If your box was special in some way it would not be like any other box. It's average my brother. You can put thoughts and interpitations into my mouth (none of which are true) to make yourself feel better but it's still average. None of that is comparative.
As long as that makes you feel better, I guess I will go with that. I am here for you brother. Please be more specific when you are judging and looking for something special. What makes a box special in your opinion? I am asking seriously, since you are a judge.

What makes mine average, I can live with average, if I thought it was outstanding I would have never put it up here. Explain to me what is wrong with it. Being serious again.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #69
ihbobry

Quote:
As long as that makes you feel better, I guess I will go with that. I am here for you brother. Please be more specific when you are judging and looking for something special. What makes a box special in your opinion? I am asking seriously, since you are a judge.

What makes mine average, I can live with average, if I thought it was outstanding I would have never put it up here. Explain to me what is wrong with it. Being serious again.
I'll see if I can find pictures of our 5th place Chicken boxes @ Lake Placid and Merrimack or the 8th @ Hudson Valley from this year. But with those results remember they will only be above average, not perfect examples.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #70
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I'll see if I can find pictures of our 5th place Chicken boxes @ Lake Placid and Merrimack or the 8th @ Hudson Valley from this year. But with those results remember they will only be above average, not perfect examples.

thank you

Old 11-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #71
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with it. But the turn-in box doesn't make me say, 'damn, I gotta try that chicken'. It looks good, but nothing special that really makes me want to try it. Thats why it should get a 7 instead of a 9 in my completely subjective opinion.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #72
ihbobry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
the turn-in box doesn't make me say, 'damn, I gotta try that chicken'. It looks good, but nothing special that really makes me want to try it.
Ding!

Thanks Chris!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #73
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

Have you read the last 5 pages of your thread?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #74
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
And if you add them together you get...13th place chicken.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #75
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
So when is it "comparison judging" and when is it "experience"?
When someone talks about non-comparison I have to laugh. I believe to do so is not possible and if one says they can do so I would submit they are deluded. I suppose if a judge has never seen a box he can score the first box he has ever seen iwithout comparison.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote