MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #16
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Here is a post that I did a while ago on using the minion Method in a WSM.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=10

Also, there is a Google search lower down on the page. Search for WSM and you'll find a bunch of info right here on the good old BBQ Brethren. The Virtual Weber Bullet site is great, but why leave here until you have exhausted all of our resources?
Great minion method tutorial...

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #17
nthole
Babbling Farker

Consider sand or a clay pot in the water pan instead of water. Many swear by it as a better heat sink and the only way to get it to run hotter temps if you desire.

Buy a replacement lower rack, use stainless steel U bracket and bolts and washers and you can make a rack that sits midway between the lower and upper as either another spot to choose from depending on temps or to give you 50% more cooking space. Works on everything but butts usually (too big); terrific for getting more ribs and chicken on, and being able to run a 3rd brisket.

Guru is nice, but expensive. Consider an iQue first for playing with. Only about $100 and works great.

Don't base any modifications off the first couple cooks. It will change a bit. But once it's broken in it'll be as consistent as a wet fart.

If you cook in the cold get a strip (10ft) of Reflectix double sided heat barrier. You can wrap it around the pit and secure it with a bungee cord. In the cold and/or wind it will make a huge difference. If it's raining the lip will catch water. The Reflectix will stand about 2 feet above the lid. Pinch it together at the top and clamp it...walla cold, wind and waterproof. You can run a flexible piece of dryer venting from over the exhaust to out the top of one of the corners or straight out of the overlap to ensure adequate draft.

Don't get overly fancy. It's designed to work perfectly. K.I.S.S.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #18
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

These are all good tips. I have an iQue 110 for temp control on mine. It is less expensive than the other controllers, but works great for me.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #19
Kings over Queens
Knows what a fatty is.

I've got 8 or 9 cooks in on my WSM and flat out love it. The last cook was chicken thighs but I didn't use a pan, instead using the cooker like a grill, and I love the results. Still got the smoke but not the burnt that you might get cooking over coal in a kettle,

The guru eyelets are terrific. I've also got a clay saucer to try in place of the water pan.

You might consider getting a cheap floor mat, piece of carpet or one of those garage oil mats to place near the cooker, for those times you need to remove the lit and/or main section. They will leave a round grease stain where ever you set them down.

Enjoy.
Kings over Queens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #20
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

When you are traveling to a comp make sure that the WSM is completly secure in the back of the pickup truck. Not that I would know anything about that.... The metal door will fly off at 70mph on a windy day! Luckily another comp team saw it and picked it up and gave it back at the comp. I tied rope around the lid and was alerted by a passing car that the lid was dangling on a rope near the license plate! have a great day!

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #21
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
1. It will run hot in the beginning.
2. It was built for charcoal but lump will work.
3. Season it well with a few light cooks (wings, fatty, etc) or dry runs (no food)
4. Consider a BBQ Guru. It may be somewhat costly but makes overnight cooks a breeze.
5. Get the eyelets from bbqguru.com. They are very convenient.
6. Always keep the top vent wide open.
7. Use water in the pan for low and slow (my opinion, others will differ)
8. Use no water but foil wrap for hot and fast.
9. Consider metal tape around the door. You won't need to open it during cooking anyway and this will seal any leaks.
10. Enjoy it. It is a great smoker.

P.S
Use the minion method for any cooks over 4 hours. It should hold temps well with this method for at least 9 hours. Others have reported as much as 13 or so on the 22.5 and longer on the 18.
good advice

I am still struggling to keep temps low with Royal Oak and sand in the water pan. This works very well for higher temp cooks. So I am thinking of using water for low and slow and switching to kingfords blue. I like the cleaner burn and low ash of the RO, and the cleanliness of foil lined sand, but not if I have difficulty gettin the temp down to 225.

as for the metal door I wish they would have just done away with it. It serves no purpose other that to leak air. And for that matter, handles on the middle section, but as noted already, these are easy modifications.

Wiviott's Low and Slow book is a very good tutorial to get started with the WSM. I recommend following his method to get a frame of reference on your smoker, since "feel" and "instincts" is a very important part of bbq.

And of course, read the threads here, ask questions like this one, and just get cooking.
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #22
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings over Queens View Post
I've got 8 or 9 cooks in on my WSM and flat out love it. The last cook was chicken thighs but I didn't use a pan, instead using the cooker like a grill, and I love the results. Still got the smoke but not the burnt that you might get cooking over coal in a kettle,

The guru eyelets are terrific. I've also got a clay saucer to try in place of the water pan.

You might consider getting a cheap floor mat, piece of carpet or one of those garage oil mats to place near the cooker, for those times you need to remove the lit and/or main section. They will leave a round grease stain where ever you set them down.

Enjoy.

Those grease stains are how I mark my territory and warn invading guest to stay away!

PS, for the OP: get good heat resistance gloves, lots of heavy duty foil, and coolers and towels.
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #23
nexpress
Full Fledged Farker

I've only had mine about 6 weeks and love it. I have added an Ique 110 and grommets from cajun bandit.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #24
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Didn't see this one mentioned... if using water in the pan, make sure that it is boiling hot water, cold water will suck the heat from your fire and make temp control a PITA!

A ROL and expansion ring are great chicken/rib cooking mods too! swamprb or nwbbq can prolly supply some pics...
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #25
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
If you cook in the cold get a strip (10ft) of Reflectix double sided heat barrier. You can wrap it around the pit and secure it with a bungee cord.
Any problem with the reflectix touching the cooker directly and burning or melting?
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #26
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Any problem with the reflectix touching the cooker directly and burning or melting?
I have read posts that say yes, it does burn. I plan on buying a jacket from BBQ Guru. Its insulated and won't burn.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #27
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
From the Reflectix FAQ page:http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageIndex=384#

What is the Temperature Range of the Product(s)?
Reflectix® Reflective Insulation, Radiant Barrier and Foil Tape can be installed in environments with a range of -60 degrees to 180 degrees F.

I can't believe anyone would use it around any heat source. Unless you cover it with foil tape, even at that I wouldn't.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #28
nthole
Babbling Farker

I've had it melt a little bit on the UDS when it was wrapped all the way to the bottom of the can, but it did not ignite and did not stick to the can. On the WSM, I strap it so the bottom is sitting basically on the handle of the door, so only insulating the cooking chamber, and not touching the hotest portion of the cooker. I've had no issues with it and I was running the smoker at 300F. So I've had no problems at all. You have to use the DOUBLE sided Reflectix which is foil on both sides. Since it's about 1/8th the price of the guru jacket and works without having to have the guru (IE can still use natural draft) it's worth a try in my opinion.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #29
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

One thing that isn't mentioned in the WSM manual is that lump works fine in place of kf blue. You just have to cut it down to briquette sized chunks, and pack it in the charcoal ring. Better flavor, higher heat, and less ash buildup.

I prefer to use a clay saucer wrapped in foil for easy cleanup over a water filled pan, as the clay acts like a heat sink, instead of a heat reducer (no water mod). The clay will hold heat at a higher temp, and not suck heat out of the process like water does.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #30
jdub
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
1. It will run hot in the beginning.
2. It was built for charcoal but lump will work.
3. Season it well with a few light cooks (wings, fatty, etc) or dry runs (no food)
4. Consider a BBQ Guru. It may be somewhat costly but makes overnight cooks a breeze.
5. Get the eyelets from bbqguru.com. They are very convenient.
6. Always keep the top vent wide open.
7. Use water in the pan for low and slow (my opinion, others will differ)
8. Use no water but foil wrap for hot and fast.
9. Consider metal tape around the door. You won't need to open it during cooking anyway and this will seal any leaks.
10. Enjoy it. It is a great smoker.

P.S
Use the minion method for any cooks over 4 hours. It should hold temps well with this method for at least 9 hours. Others have reported as much as 13 or so on the 22.5 and longer on the 18.
I just wanted to say I am damn glad to hear someone else taped their door shut!

A very good list above. My pointer-if you get it wrong a time or two, or three, keep the faith. That thing really does what people say, it really does. And it will do it for you soon as well.