Ready to upgrade

Bholt2

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey guys! I’m looking to upgrade from my wsm. Cooks well enough, and was inexpensive for my first smoker, but after 5 years i’m looking to upgrade. One issue has been, living in NY and trying to smoke on it in the winter goes thru a ton of charcoal, and holding temp overnight takes lots of hands on.

So I’d like something between 2 and 4 grand, is less hands on than say a stick burner...but doesn’t have to be 100% set it and forget it (but that isn’t a bad thing either), can get a decent amount of smoke but i’m not a smoke head either, and has atleast as much cooking space as my wsm 22 (so 800 or up between all the grates). Would like to be able to cook atleast 8 slabs flat on the racks.

Mainly I smoke; ribs, butts, salmon, brisket, chicken, and turkeys. I don’t need it to grill, as I have a seperate gas grill already.

Leaning towards a gravity charcoal smoker like a stumps or assassin, or a pellet smoker like a Mak 2, Pitts and Spitts, or Blazn grid iron.

Would love some advice! Thanks so much -Brian

The GF will do what you need. I like the Blazn out of the pellets. You'll get a ton of recommendations from guys that love their cooker. Up to you to figure out what works for your life and how/what you cook.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

$4000 you could get Both -Insulated Cabinet Smoker And a Pellet Pooper.

Humphrey’s Pint and a RecTec Bull with Insulated Jacket.

Humphrey’s Battle Box or Long Weekender And a Blazin Grill Works Pooper.

T&K Med Gravity Fed and a Rec Tec Stampede.

Or that Bi Insulated Cabinet that goes both ways - Whatchmacallit And a Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro 680.

Last edited:
Or get a Humphrey’s from what’s his face in New Jersey and order a RecTec

t&k seem like well priced, am i reading those dimensions wrong on the medium? Is it really 21.5 wide? That's only slightly less than the Assassin 24 which is 3100 vs 2400 Any idea how else they compare?

:oops:j
take a look at rockin w smokers insulated smokers, i have their backyard stick burner and it will be the last one i buy unless i hit the lotto.
http://rockinwsmokers.com/pit-details

Their policy is something out of the Donnie Boston School of Finance playbook.

1) 50% deposit required

2) Deposit is non refundable.

3) No guarantee of build time.

3) By placing deposit, you agree to complete purchase or lose deposit.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback so far! Sounds like if I went the pellet route folks are recommending the Blazn over the Mak or the Pitts. Is there a reason poeple like the insulated box smoker over the gravity fed? I was assuming the gravity fed would be less work. Which I know some people like the “work”, but having two kids and a wife...I’m looking for something that takes a bit of time to get running, maybe a check in or two during the cook, and then an easy cleanup. So was expecting lots of comments about gravity smokers.

Assassin 17

I too am from NY (long island) and started on a WSM 22. I took delivery of an Assassin 17 in August, and could not be happier with my choice. It is easy to use, you can set and forget using a fan, or do without the fan and be more hands-on. It holds temps fantastically. It is big enough that you can cook for a party, and small enough that you won't feel bad just throwing on a single rack of ribs. Although some people complain that you don't get enough smoke flavor from a GF, I think the smoke is perfect. A little more wood, a little less wood makes up the difference in personal taste.

Jeff and Rachel Conley (the assassin family) are great to work with. Rachel walked me through all of the options and pricing over the phone.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback so far! Sounds like if I went the pellet route folks are recommending the Blazn over the Mak or the Pitts. Is there a reason poeple like the insulated box smoker over the gravity fed? I was assuming the gravity fed would be less work. Which I know some people like the “work”, but having two kids and a wife...I’m looking for something that takes a bit of time to get running, maybe a check in or two during the cook, and then an easy cleanup. So was expecting lots of comments about gravity smokers.

Folks will recommend what they are used to in most cases. Most gravity fed cookers are also insulated, so will do fine. I have a SouthernQ gravity fed that is an excellent cooker. Deep South also makes some excellent ones, and Humphrey’s has one, too. I have used a Backwoods insulated vertical and it also put out good food, but sold it to Get the SouthernQ.

Also, keep the WSM and use that for fish. It is hard to get the fish smells out of the cooker.

I love my WSM, but given your budget and the parameters you laid out, I’d be looking at a nice pellet pooper...

I have pretty much decided that I’ll be looking to go pellet if and when I decide its time to upgrade.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Depending on cooking capacity needed, I agree with SmittyJonz. Get a cabinet and a pellet smoker. You will have flexibility, and you can try two different styles of smokers.

As Ron L mentions, people will recommend what they own. I have a REC TEC pellet smoker, and I love it. The newer ones are almost all stainless, so even better.

That said, I've heard great things about the Mak Smokers. You could get a Mak 1 Star and perhaps a Humphry's Long Weekender. That would be a nice combo.

I'm going to recommend an Assassin....insulated, gravity feed goodness in your stated budget range, and a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm in NJ, and I've used mine in 2 feet of 40 mph blowing snow and nights of single digit deep freeze. It cooked like it was summer time....just took a little longer to get to temp. With the supplied IQ120 controller, it's set and forget. I've owned my 24 for 3 years now, and I still smile every time I fire it up. :-D

Last edited:
T&K makes both Insulated Cabinet and a Gravity Fed model. PJTexas has one of their gravity fed.

Back