Got a big party.. how to time puttin the meat in...??

evilpsych

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
well... here's the menu for a batch of bbq i'm doin on sat afternoon.. what i need is about what time should i put each individual item in the bandera at 250-220 (220 at the top) for a 4pm eat time?

Here's the list.

1 10.55lb packer cut brisket,
2 racks of beef ribs (4.5lbs each)
1 6.31lb pork shoulder butt
and 1 5lb chicken (spatchcocked).

I know to put the chicken on the bottom.. and the brisket (or the ribs) on the top rack.. but what time should i start q-in up?

times i've figured for the brisket... start at 5am.. ribs shortly after (11 hrs)
pork butt about... 8am (8 hrs)
spatchcocked chicken...1pm (3hrs)

so what yall think?

10.5 pound brisket I give myself 14 hours, 14 hours on the butt, short ribs are to short on meat for me to spend time on so someone else can give you times on them. The chicken I would give 4 hours but I like finishing early and holding.

Key word is IGLOO !! Plan a little early and if it reaches temps. put it in a cooler. If the meat reaches a stand off period your guests will have to wait. If it is done sooner , all you have to do is finish and finish on time.

My Hero !!!

1 10.55lb packer cut brisket,
2 racks of beef ribs (4.5lbs each)
1 6.31lb pork shoulder butt
and 1 5lb chicken (spatchcocked

I'm basically with Jim on this:

I'd go 15 hours on the packer (you can always cooler it if it finishes early
)
Beef ribs - depends on how meaty - if they are "nice" I'd go 6 hours or so.

If it's pork butt I'd plan 8-10 hours - again you can always wrap in foil and put in the cooler to hold for many hours.

I usually do chicken for 3 hours in the smoker.

Allow more time than you think you'll need - like Jim said it's nice to finish early and hold - especially for the brisket and pork butt) and like Spice said "Igloo" - it's your friend! :D

damn. so start at midnight eh?

beef ribs (dino bones) i thought took awhile.. these guys are like 12" long by 18"... figured on foiling them about 5 hrs into it..

10 hrs on a 6lb butt? damn!. never figured that.. guess i'm spoiled with hu-mongous briskets..

1:15-1:30per lb on a packer cut, so 14-15 hours. 1:30lb for butts. dino bones 8-10 hours at least adn 4 hours on the chicken.

I'd put brisket in at 9 and the butt and ribs in between midnight-2AM The ribs will come out in the first.....around 8-9AM then the butt around 10 and brisket around noon.. that will give plent of cooler time for everything. Treat them dino bones like a brisket, but foil at around 160. They need ALOT ALOT of time to tenderize. Use the probe test to tell when they are done. Chickens can go in at 10-11. 4 hours is plenty. I like to serve the chicken right away. I dont like to cooler it. I'd rather drop it in a tray of bbq sauce and let it sit in there in a warm chamber or oven for an hours or 2.

alright.. although i do tend to prefer slicing my brisket rather than pulling it.. pork will prolly be pulled.

i'll shoot pics from my newly rewired covered patio of the pile.

I agree with the Igloo comment. I've pulled out meat 4 hours later that was still too hot to hold bare handed.

dont think i ever pulled a brisket, dont think i ever will.. till its a few days old and for some reasong there is still some left......then its time to make tacos.

RE: Brisket - yeah, these times are for sliced brisket! :D I just did three small flats and the 3.5 pound piece took 4.5 hours plus some time holding for the 4.5 and 5.5 pounders - all sliced great.

So the 1.25-1.5 hours per pound works to get you in the ball park.

You can always keep your meat warm in a cooler with the help of a bottle or two filled with boiling water. You will get 4 hours + out of um.

Looks like you better plan on an all night cook. The cooler is a great equalizer.

got the brisket in at 8pm.. figured i'd give it a little time in the cooler. course.. as soon as i did that.. pit temps spiked.. (fiured out i need to lower that damn basket to get the most heat for my money... temps at the stack right now are.. 270..... should go down some as the wood burns up.... wont feed her so heavily for the rest of the burn until i get the thing figured out.. prolly bout... 1/2 the fuel would be great.. dampers are fully closed too!. :evil:

Back