MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John
Default Ribeye suggestions?

I'm planning on a ribeye for dinner (I buy the "Prime" Ribeyes from Costco - usually a two pack. We're at the point where we just split one steak between the two of us, so it's good for two separate meals). I've been going about 50/50 either cooking them on a Santa Maria Pit (great flavor, but not super tender) or T-Rex on the BGE (Incredibly tender, but the fat doesn't come out as good as on the pit). Almost always use Jocko's Mix (Mostly salt with a touch of garlic and pepper)

Looking for other techniques or styles for the one tonight. This one weighs in at just over 20 oz and varies from about an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half in thickness.

Anybody found anything they really like lately?

Old 04-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

a bit of finely ground coffee in the rub does nicely...
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

I like to do a quick high heat sear and then finish with indirect heat until the steak hits 125-130. I then rest for about 8 minutes until I slice into that morsel.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

I see that you have 2 BGE's...

Get one BGE stabilized at 800 degrees with grate in lower position.

Get the other BGE setup with indirect heat and stabilized at 300 degrees.

Rub your Ribeye down with the following wet rub and put back in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably more (4-6):
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Teaspoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Espresso Powder or any finely gound coffee

Take steak from wet rub, pat dry, and toss on the screaming hot BGE for 90-120 seconds per side. Then move to indirect BGE and take steak to desired doneness.

This is the only way I make steaks anymore... so so good!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Filet Mignon.jpg (66.7 KB, 263 views)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq

Last edited by rwalters; 04-29-2014 at 12:31 PM..
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-29-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I know some consider this blasphemy, but its how I roll. Cube it up, give it a coarse grind(once)and make the best damn steak burgers on the planet!!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
I see that you have 2 BGE's...

Get one BGE stabilized at 800 degrees with grate in lower position.

Get the other BGE setup with indirect heat and stabilized at 300 degrees.

Rub your Ribeye down with the following wet rub and let put back in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably more (4-6):
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Teaspoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Espresso Powder or any finely gound coffee

Take steak from wet rub, pat dry, and toss on the screaming hot BGE for 90-120 seconds per side. Then move to indirect BGE and take steak to desired doneness.

This is the only way I make steaks anymore... so so good!!
I remember doing something similar to this a couple of times right after I got my second BGE - actually just T-Rex'ed on separate Eggs so that I knew exactly what temp the second part would be at rather than gambling on a cooling BGE.

I've tried a marinade of Montreal's and EVO before, but your combo sounds interesting.

Do you rest the meat at all before transferring to the second grill? (Nice picture - thanks!)

Old 04-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the recommendations so far - keep 'em coming!

I've had coffee as a seasoning on a pork roast and tenderloin before, but never on a Ribeye. I'll have to think about that a bit. (neither the Wife nor I drink coffee)

Seems like there was a thread (or 2 or 3) about a different technique posted here a couple of months ago that I looked into and wanted to try. Now I've forgotten what it was called, what all was involved, or any of the significant details. I should have bookmarked it.

Hoping one of these responses will jog my memory. I've been looking at waaay too many recipes lately.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
I remember doing something similar to this a couple of times right after I got my second BGE - actually just T-Rex'ed on separate Eggs so that I knew exactly what temp the second part would be at rather than gambling on a cooling BGE.

I've tried a marinade of Montreal's and EVO before, but your combo sounds interesting.

Do you rest the meat at all before transferring to the second grill? (Nice picture - thanks!)
No rest before transferring to the cooler kamado. And do not add any additional salt/pepper to the steaks. The wet rub is salty/peppery with a well rounded flavor. It is GOOD!!! In fact, I made those steaks in the pic on Easter... and my step dad, who rarely compliments anything, told me that it was the best steak he's ever had... and he LOVES steak.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
allancoh
On the road to being a farker

I'm glad to see someone else uses Jockos as well, its great for meats. I'll usually chop some garlic and rub it with olive oil and Jockos on my steaks.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
njfoses
On the road to being a farker

Try the reverse sear. Start cooking indirect at a lower temp, maybe 200-250 until the internal temp is 10 degrees less than where you want to end up. Then switch to high heat and sear each side 2 min or so.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #11
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Try the reverse sear. Start cooking indirect at a lower temp, maybe 200-250 until the internal temp is 10 degrees less than where you want to end up. Then switch to high heat and sear each side 2 min or so.
I've done reverse sear with many larger cuts of Beef (Prime Rib and Tri tip mostly). For some reason I'm paranoid about trying it with Ribeye. Seems like it wouldn't get the fat to crisp up nicely and I'm worried I'd overcook the thing. Smaller cuts seem to go up very quickly even at low temps.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by allancoh View Post
I'm glad to see someone else uses Jockos as well, its great for meats. I'll usually chop some garlic and rub it with olive oil and Jockos on my steaks.
Love Jocko's. My wife and I went to College at SLO and we heard about it, but we were too poor to eat there (I'm very familiar with the phrase "starving student" ), but now try to eat there any time we return to our old stomping grounds. A real good day is being able to play a round of Golf at Monarch Dunes and then catch Jocko's for steaks afterwards.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

I use a local specialty meat store's "steak seasoning". Then I roast indirect until about 110F with a pecan chunk then caveman sear for 90 seconds a side(I use a flexible, disposable, thin grate to keep the ashes off). UnFarkingBelievable.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
liv4jpn
Knows what a fatty is.

i second the coffee thing i'v been using a coffee cocoa rub that we love salt and pepper as usual then coarse groung coffee and cocoa at 75/25 mix just lightly over the top and sit bout 30 min before 550 on my primo

Old 04-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #15
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Cook it in a smoking hot CI skillet directly over hot coals. For a steak that size about 4-5 minutes on each side for rare to med rare.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote