Weber Remote Digital thermometer (#6438)

sunline1

Reaction score
Just came home from local hardware chain, with a Weber Remote Digital thermometer model#6438.

I want to use it in my WSM for smoking meats, as opposed to grilling at higher temps etc.

Reading the instructions 2 things come to mind.

It appears to only go up to 199 F.

And it looks like you can't set the desired internal meat temp in "degrees", only doneness levels like "rare" "med rare" etc.

Although the display on the remote does show the internal temp.

Does anyone have and use this thermometer ?
If so what do you think about it ?

Any comments/thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Sunline1

If it measures in Celsius, 99* C = 211* Farenheit.

I have a similar remote thermometer. It's neat, but I rarely use it.

TN BBQ,

Directions say it does have a celsius setting on it. Thanks for the heads up on the celsius setting.

Just curious, when and why do you use it, when you do use it ?

I could see myself using it sometimes for butts, things that take a little longer on the smoker, as well as chicken maybe when cooking at higher heat 350-375 ish.

I'm a senior so i would like to minimize my trips out to the smoker especially now that it's a little colder out.

Sunline1

I got rid of my weber, same reasons. analog thermometer works good for me. Hopefully a thermopen for Xmas this year... hint hint

death

I haven't used it yet, that's why I'm asking about it, maybe it will get returned ??

I'll see what else I'll find out about it.

Hardware store had a coupon 50% off one item, ($35/2), that's why I came home with it.

Sunline1

I have one as a backup to my ET-73. Works great and the range on the remote blows away the Maverick. Sounds like you got a great price on it too for $17.50. I paid $30 for mine. I wouldn't return it. Use it for a while and even if you decide to upgrade to a dual probe or whatever, it'll make a great backup, or nice to have around if you need to probe more than one cut of meat.

Blackened

I couldn't pass it up at that price.

I probably will hang on to it. i have a Taylor "wired" digital that i use sometimes. Also use an instant read most of the time.

If I use this Weber every now and then it will be worth what I paid for it.

Happy Smoking !!!

Sunline1

I went thru a bunch of different remote thermos until it hit me - I dont need one. When it comes to butts or brisket, I dont even crack the door for 5 hours. When I do I hit it with my thermopen. Then I start cookin. :wink:

I calibrate my anolog dial thermos about once a month in boiling water.

Back