Tru-Value has Cowboy Sale all of May

A buddy just pointed out a $5 off code with on line order over $30 and free ship to store. "SPRING5" at check out. Code good all month.

A buddy just pointed out a $5 off code with on line order over $30 and free ship to store. "SPRING5" at check out. Code good all month.

Back a page or two, post 40...pointed out the same thing.
Paid $32 for 4 bags...delivered. IF this lump is half good, @ a hair of 8 a bag for 20lbs, worth it!!

well after the comments about a lot of small stuff in the bottom of the bag, I poured mine into a box to check. This is the best bag of lump I have ever seen size wise all the way to the bottom

I took this pic after dumping it all into the box so what you see on top was on the bottom

Last edited:
I tore open a bag of the Cowboy lump i got from Lowes as the price match to the TruValue sale. The bags I purchased were made in Mexico and for some reason had a different sku at Lowes than it did on the TruValue ad but Lowes still price matched it.

I was very happy with the quality of the cowboy lump. It was all chunks of tree and not scrap wood and not a lot of chips and dust. The pieces were definitely lighter than Wicked Good Weekend Warrior but heavier than Royal Oak. I light up a chimney worth and didn't get a spark show that I have gotten with Royal Oak, but it did have a smell to it (but nothing off putting).

I went to see how long the lump would go and to as I thought, it goes longer than the Royal Oak, but shorter than the Wicked Good. For $9 for a 20lb bag I would definitely buy this over Royal Oak.

Hmmm...well, so much for good intentions. The True Value that charges sales tax still has no answer, several days later, as to why they charge a sales tax while HD and Lowes don't. (The TV website does as well).

Therefore, because the sale ends Monday, I bought at Lowe's today, and got the 10% differential.

Oh well.

Also, I returned that $10/20# Wicked Good at Job Lot- too much dust/shards/unusable pieces for my liking. Cowboy is better/cheaper. Ha- who'd a thunk that a few months ago!

Maybe I got a bad bag from an old stock, but the last one I got had pieces about half as big as a football in it, about 7 inches in diameter.

I'd kill for those large pieces; they are the very best for low and slow.

i ordered 2 bags off of their website and picked them up a few days later when they emailed me about it being ready. TV is right on my way to/from work. i havent opened the bags yet but i hope its better than the last few bags i've gotten from lowes(no more than 3 months ago). either way, it's a great price. if my bags look good i'll definitely order more.

Just got a bag from Lowes. They honored the add on my phone after I convinced the guy that True Value was first a store and second not a online whole seller.:doh:

Finally broke into my first bag of this....anyone else think it's a bit off smelling when starting? I'm just comparing to Royal Oak and Wicked Good WW.

A friend and I bought in bulk during the Tru Value sale and wish we hadn't. Super fine charcoal/powder and off smell. I sold all my bags at a garage sale at a slight loss but was worth not ruining any more meals. Good luck to everyone else.

A friend and I bought in bulk during the Tru Value sale and wish we hadn't. Super fine charcoal/powder and off smell. I sold all my bags at a garage sale at a slight loss but was worth not ruining any more meals. Good luck to everyone else.
Yea i have 7 bags of it now and thinking i might list the remaining unopened 6 bags on Craigs List.

Should note that it was fine once fully under way & only stunk during heat-up.

I have gone through almost 3 bags of it and I think its fine.

Probably order 4 more bags for the extra $5 off before the end of the month

Back