Meet Boondoggle BBQ

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2009/10/boondoggle_bbq_smokes_the_comp.php

Meet Boondoggle BBQ: 2009 American Royal Grand Champion

By Jonathan Bender in News
Mon., Oct. 12 2009 @ 12:45PM
​They may have come from all over, but when the hickory smoke from 473 teams cleared at last weekend's American Royal Barbecue, it was a team based out of Lee's Summit that was named Grand Champion in the open division.

Boondoggle BBQ, brothers Bob and Don Denner, secured their first Grand Champion designation, and the accompanying trophy and $12,500 check, with strong showings in all four barbecue categories: chicken (7th), pork (49th), ribs (3rd), and brisket (56th).

"Other then having a great finish, the difference between this Royal and the past was that we really felt the bond with other teams throughout the country that we've competed against and become friends with," Bob Denner tells Fat City. "Even before the awards ceremony, we knew this would be a weekend we would both remember for years."

What started as a way for two brothers to keep in touch (Don lives in Ankeny, Iowa, where he works as a claims adjuster, while Bob works in marketing in Lee's Summit) has evolved into a powerhouse team on the barbecue circuit. The Denner brothers entered their first competition in 2007 at the Kansas Speedway, where they placed 36th out of 90 teams.

They would enter four more barbecue competitions that year, earning their first top 10 finish for brisket. In 2008, they entered six competitions and snagged 12 top 10 finishes -- but found that execution was preventing them from winning overall championships.

A barbecue class and some advice from fellow contestants helped to strengthen their entries in every category this year.

"It's amazing the help your competitors are happy to provide even though they are trying to beat you. That's what makes competition BBQ so enjoyable," Bob says.

Older brother Don, 42, takes the lead on the ribs and brisket, while Bob, 38, is head man on the chicken and pork. Bob took the time to walk Fat City through Boondoggle BBQ's preparation of their ribs, which were third overall at this year's American Royal:

The process begins with the selection of ribs that are appealing to the eye, straight bones rather than short curved bones. Don trims them to be uniform in shape and remove the membrane off the bone side, this helps with tenderness. I like to season them the night before cooking them so some of the rub will be absorbed into the meat. I start cooking them 5.5 hours before the judging time. I will baste them every 45 minutes and then apply a finishing glaze 30 minutes before they are done. The key to competitive cooking is having them done at just the right time, you want them as tender as possible but not falling off the bone for the judges. Appearance wise I want them to have a shiny deep red color.

For anyone who hopes to challenge the Denner brothers at next year's Royal, their advice is to get started now.

"Practice, practice, practice -- be patient and find some peers that are happy to help you through your struggles. Don't try to change too many things at one time, doing so will make it difficult to determine what change worked and what didn't," says Bob Denner.

What a great story! Congrats again guys! What is great, that I think the story points out, is that you did it together as brothers. That is something special.

I especially appreciate how they outlined your ribs technique. I took notes--need all the help I can get in that category.:twisted:

I'll have my people call your people, and one of these days we can do lunch :)

Nice article!

I'm pretty sure the secret is in the cowboy hat. ;)

Great job guys!

Very close to what we provided, but not quit. Of no fault to the writer, but I'd like to change a few things for those of you who know us. Without many of you, this wouldn't have happened. Serious thanks to Brethren from coast to coast ... and especially those of you who let us join you in a comp or directly answered Q's from Don or I.

They may have come from all over, but when the hickory smoke from 473 teams cleared at last weekend's American Royal Barbecue, it was a team based out of www.bbq-brethren.com that was named Grand Champion in the open division.

Boondoggle BBQ, brothers Bob and Don Denner, secured their first Grand Champion designation, and the accompanying trophy and $12,500 check, with strong showings in all four barbecue categories: chicken (7th), ribs (3rd), pork (49th), and brisket (56th).

"Other then having a great finish, the difference between this Royal and the past was that we really felt the bond with other teams throughout the country that we've competed against and have invited us into their BBQ family," Bob Denner tells Fat City. "Before the awards ceremony, we knew this would be a weekend we would both remember for years, the outcome of the awards only changed part of why we'd remember it."

What started as a way for two brothers to keep in touch (Don lives in Ankeny, Iowa, where he works as a claims adjuster, while Bob works in marketing in Lee's Summit) has evolved into a competitive team on the barbecue circuit. The Denner brothers entered their first competition in 2007 at the Kansas Speedway, where they placed 36th out of 90 teams.

They would enter four more barbecue competitions that year, where they earned only top 10 finish all year, a 10th place finish in brisket. In 2008, they entered six competitions and snagged 12 top 10 category finishes -- but found that lack of knowing how the fark to cook chicken was preventing them from being in the running for an overall championship.

A barbecue class and some advice from fellow contestants helped to strengthen their entries in every category this year. (We actually took the class prior to 2008 season. While that class really got us headed the right direction, the reason we were part of this article was due to our competitive friends advising us on chicken in LaPorte. Plus, I sponged all I could when other Brethren teams let me run their boxes.)

"It's amazing the help and information your competitors are happy to provide even though they are trying to beat you. That's what makes competition BBQ so much like enjoyable - everyone wants everyone to get better for each other, for the sport, for the fun," Bob says. When other teams get better, if makes you to get better too.

Older brother Don, 42, takes the lead on the ribs and brisket, while Bob, 38, is head man on the chicken and pork. Don took the time to walk Fat City through Boondoggle BBQ's preparation of their ribs, which were third overall at this year's American Royal:

The process begins with the selection of ribs that are appealing to the eye, straight bones rather than short curved bones. Don trims them to be uniform in shape and remove the membrane off the bone side, this helps with tenderness. I like to season them the night before cooking them so some of the rub will be absorbed into the meat. I start cooking them 5.5 hours before the judging time. I will baste them every 45 minutes and then apply a finishing glaze 30 minutes before they are done. The key to competitive cooking is having them done at just the right time, you want them as tender as possible but not falling off the bone for the judges. Appearance wise I want them to have a shiny deep red color.

For anyone who hopes to challenge the Denner brothers at next year's Royal, their advice is to get started now.

"Practice, practice, practice -- be patient and find some peers that are happy to help you through your struggles. Don't try to change too many things at one time, doing so will make it difficult to determine what change worked and what didn't," says Bob Denner.

awesome story! I would have loved it if they printed your version......especially to see "fark" in print

Nice! Wish I had been able to stay for the awards but it was great to hang out a little.

What! No mention of the great Backwoods Competitor you used to win that title? LOL Great job guys, you deserve it.

Big Mike

Hat's off and congrats- See- "brothers"- that's the key.

Congrats on a great artical (oh, and the win... lol)!!!!

What a great story! Congrats again guys! What is great, that I think the story points out, is that you did it together as brothers. That is something special.

I especially appreciate how they outlined your ribs technique. I took notes--need all the help I can get in that category.:twisted:

You and me both.... Got some changes in mind for Libertyville now!!!

Nice article guys!! Congrats again on the fantastic year!

Very Nice article guys, it was great to see you win.

Back