MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #16
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

Ive been on the same mission as you lately. I'm in a 7x14 that gets really cramped for cooking and camping. With just me and my young son, I need to get a lot more efficient with my time and space.

I took Blanton's advice in the offseason and got a 5' SS table with bottom shelf. I got one of the Sterilite wide 5 drawer tower and one of the 3 drawer and combined them into two 4 drawer totes that fit perfectly under the table. Also picked up three of the 22" speed rails on webstaurantstore.com - two for holding rubs and one for my roll of foil. I'm also working on fabbing some folding bunks like these:
http://smokerbuilder.com/forums/down...3992&mode=view

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #17
Winged Wheel
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasnidx View Post
Ive been on the same mission as you lately. I'm in a 7x14 that gets really cramped for cooking and camping. With just me and my young son, I need to get a lot more efficient with my time and space.

I took Blanton's advice in the offseason and got a 5' SS table with bottom shelf. I got one of the Sterilite wide 5 drawer tower and one of the 3 drawer and combined them into two 4 drawer totes that fit perfectly under the table. Also picked up three of the 22" speed rails on webstaurantstore.com - two for holding rubs and one for my roll of foil. I'm also working on fabbing some folding bunks like these:
Stop by my trailer this weekend and I will show you how I put together my bunks. Did it for under $200 and they are strong enough to hold E-Cig.
Winged Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #18
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
With all due respect, man that looks like a lot of stuff! I do have a trailer so I might have the same amount. I'll make a list and see. But I'm thinking about 1/4 of that space or less is what I'm using.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #19
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

I am also very interested to hear how folks with more experience have condensed and optimized their storage and workflow.

I have a 6' x 12' single axle trailer that needs to haul 4 Gateway Drums. Total load capacity is like 1300 pounds and the 4 drums are probably 360 pounds of it.

In bad weather I need to work in the trailer otherwise I'm out under two EZ Ups tents. I also mostly cook alone so minimizing what I need to deal with is a constant learning process. I use a Craftsman rolling tool chest for cookware like injectors knives etc. I was planning on a microwave to heat sauces since I no longer would need pots. Just heat the plastic container.

I'm sure a pro could cut out at least half of what I haul around.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #20
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

For a sink, I use a 5gal beverage cooler to hold hot water, run water with tubing through a marine foot pump, to pump the water to a laundry sink, that drains into 5 gal bucket. I've attached a soap and paper towel dispensers to it. Had to attach the sink base to a couple 2x4s for weight to counter the foot pump. Works well, and I have a 2nd water cooler for a backup of hot water during turn ins and for cleanup afterwards. I hate running out of hot water with 5 or 6 things left and having to do dishes when I got home. It's completely portable, doesn't need electricity or running water. I use a propane campstove to heat up the water in a 7gal kettle.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #21
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasnidx View Post

Can you post the image to this forum? It won’t let me view it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2018, 05:05 AM   #22
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeh I couldn’t view pic in the link either. I would love to see it.
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #23
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

Here is the image that was shared:

GrillBillie_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #24
mcbrew13
On the road to being a farker

Sold my trailer last fall for a toy hauler - starting over... But the last setup was a 7X14 V-nose. Installed winch, insulated ceiling, painted inside, etc. The best things for use were running electricity (single input on trailer to lights and outlets throughout) and a fixed workstation. Bolted two cheap white builder grade drawer cabinets to floor and ran a laminate countertop between the two. I left enough room in the back for an air mattress at night (solo cook). Worked out well and not too hard on budget.

I never worried about a water setup much - just used 5G water coolers and kept as much as possible disposable. Throw the few dirty utensils in a bus tub and do at home.
mcbrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #25
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
With all due respect, man that looks like a lot of stuff! I do have a trailer so I might have the same amount. I'll make a list and see. But I'm thinking about 1/4 of that space or less is what I'm using.
This! Most people only need half of what you think you need. Make two lists. One that says things I need to turn in a box on time. The other list name it things I would like to have just in case. Leave the second list of items at home and you will be surprised at how little you actually need.

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #26
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarbque View Post
I am also very interested to hear how folks with more experience have condensed and optimized their storage and workflow.

I have a 6' x 12' single axle trailer that needs to haul 4 Gateway Drums. Total load capacity is like 1300 pounds and the 4 drums are probably 360 pounds of it.

In bad weather I need to work in the trailer otherwise I'm out under two EZ Ups tents. I also mostly cook alone so minimizing what I need to deal with is a constant learning process. I use a Craftsman rolling tool chest for cookware like injectors knives etc. I was planning on a microwave to heat sauces since I no longer would need pots. Just heat the plastic container.

I'm sure a pro could cut out at least half of what I haul around.

mount speed rails to the walls of your trailer one for foil, and two for spices, sugar, sauce etc... I also use a knife case that I hang from suction cups attached to the wall that way they are in front of me when I need them. Dishes like muffin pans, fat separator, pot for chicken sauce, etc all go in a tote under my work table. ditch the microwave, and keep one of your drums hot and heat sauce up on that in pans. I use an empty cooler to put all my dishes in. anything that I'm not going to need to use onsite again get's put in the cooler. Takes about 40 minutes to do all the dishes the next day at home, but it's worth it.
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #27
5am
On the road to being a farker

No offense, trailers are so last year. Minivans are the new hot thing.
5am is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #28
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

^......LOL, yep, but somehow I dont think my 1000lb. water cooker will fit in the back of that thing.
Gateway 55G Drum

Old 03-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #29
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogphin View Post
This! Most people only need half of what you think you need. Make two lists. One that says things I need to turn in a box on time. The other list name it things I would like to have just in case. Leave the second list of items at home and you will be surprised at how little you actually need.
man I totally hear you, but I am so anal that I am always worried that something will break or we will have needed it the one time I dont bring it!!! that would be just my luck.

but even outside of my fear/anal nature, we do actually run into situations where there have been comps that I needed 150' of extension cords to get power to my camp. I've been where I had to have right at close to 100' in water hoses to get water to my camp. so i wind up bringing so much of that stuff.....and it's not that big of a deal to bring it because we can leave the "extra" in totes that dont come off the trailer etc. but I just dont think I could leave home without alot of those things for fear of what could "possibly" happen.....lol
Gateway 55G Drum

Old 03-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #30
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5am View Post

No offense, trailers are so last year. Minivans are the new hot thing.
We compete out of a minivan too! Works out much better than I ever imagined

Once you empty out the contents, the van has tons of room to sleep

Also keeps us limited on what we bring to compete

Thanks from:--->