MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Artichokes

I'm am in need of a couple ideas/recipes for smoked artichokes. Is there anyone out there that has smoked them. I've grilled them before, but now wish to give a try at smoking them.

Any ideas?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

You are already way ahead of me. I've never even grilled em, just used the hot tub method on them(trying to avoid saying, boiling)(damn, just said it.)
I'm all ears on this one. Wife and I love em as do the kids with some melted lemon butter.

Could you share your grilling method? I'd like to give those a try. Wish I coulod be of more help.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
smknhotmama
is One Chatty Farker

Sorry no help here either adn like Bob the entire family loves them so I will anxiously await someone in the knows advice on this.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
leanza
Babbling Farker

Larry, how about a traditional stuffed arti. in a low profile pan, with some liquid in it, with your choice of wood smoke, until tender?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
bulldawgbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I would also like to know how you grill them. I may try that tonight.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

If it works replace the canned ones with your smoked ones in this yummy recipe...

1/2cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/2cup grated Parmesan cheese
medium green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
can (14 to 15 oz) artichoke hearts, drained, cut into small pieces
Crackers or cocktail rye bread, if desired

Oven Directions: Heat oven to 350ºF. Mix all ingredients except crackers in ungreased 1-quart casserole. Cover and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until hot.

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
BBQ Grail

At the risk of hijacking my own thread...

Trim artichokes
Cut artichoke in half (long ways)
Brush entire artichoke with olive oil

Grill cut side up for 10 minutes over medium hot coals. Flip and grill for 5 minutes. Stand them on end of 5 minutes to cool and then eat them with your favorite dipping sauce.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
bigabyte

I've never tried it, but the way you just described sounds like it should work.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Try this, we like it:

Cut in half then spoon out the choke and small spiney leafs in the middle just before the choke (the hairy stuff)

Using your favorite homemade meatball or meatloaf recipie, pack the cut side of the artichoke. Spray the leafy side with olive oil and place in an aluminum/glass pie plate and into the smoker then cook indirect at 225-250 as you would a fatty. After 2 hours, add your favorite marinara sauce and just cover the green leafs of the artichoke then cover the pie plate with aluminum foil. Cook for another hour remove foil and plate with your favorite pasta and fresh grated parmesian cheese. I'll post pics next time I make this. Try it, you'll love it.
We do.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
Abelman
Full Fledged Farker

I have a smoked choke file/recipe in a Word docx file which I cannot open. It's a long story but I had to replace my hard drive and stuck with the older version, not 2007. So, if someone wants it, I can email it and they can post it. Just send me a PM.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would cut them in half, take out the choke, smoke them with light smoke so they don't absorb too much. Then I'd stuff them with seafood salad and serve. Or just serve with a brown butter sauce.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
Abelman
Full Fledged Farker

I got the software issued resolved.
Anyway, here's the recipe I got from a buddy of mine.

I top and remove the choke. Then I trim the outer leaves as you have done. I place them in a foil pan with about 1/2 inch water, salt the artichokes an place a pat of butter on top of each. After smoking in the egg 30 minutes at 250 degrees with pecan wood I cover with foil and steam for about 15 more minutes. I use the drippings to dip the leaves in.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
swamprb

I've only grilled the baby artichokes split in half and brushed with evoo and lemon juice. They were so-so and I was never inspired to grill them again. Boiling/steaming is the way I like them-we grew up dipping in drawn butter, I like a mayo/mustard sauce or garlic aioli for dippin'! I love seafood stuffed 'chokes, but that's too much work for me!

I was thinking they might be good par boiled then smoked along with some whole garlic bulbs then foiled until tender. Squeeze those smoked garlic cloves out and smear them all over the heart! .....droolin' on the keyboard!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote