MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Leadog
Found some matches.

Default Digital Thermometers

My Weber digital thermometer died. Looking for a new one. I'd like one with a base unit and probe that sends alert to portable receiver. I'd like to to have two probes and be able to be left in my smoker. I've looked at Williams Sonoma and Weber and haven't found the right one yet. I'd appreciate some input, recommendations, and why you like the one you have.

Thanks

Leadog

WSM 22.5
Santa Maria Grill
BBQ Galore Grand Turbo
WS Jr.
Leadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Maverick ET-733, just take care when cleaning the probes.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Maverick ET-733, just take care when cleaning the probes.
^ +1 ET-733 is a new unit and has improvements over the ET-732
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Fwismoker

Remington...it's an ET-732 but 10 dollars cheaper.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

I clean my probe
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
afidel
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Remington...it's an ET-732 but 10 dollars cheaper.
This, the 733 doesn't bring enough to the party to justify the ~80% higher price over the Remington 732. Having a down button for temps and some preset game alarms just isn't worth it IMHO.
afidel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
GSXR883
Knows what a fatty is.

I have the Maverick and would buy another. No question.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The Maverick's are like the only deal in town and in my opinion cheap Chinese cr&p. I go through them like Reese's Peanut Butter cups... They work for awhile and then get erratic to the point I can't trust them. iGrill has some stuff but (as far as I know) not bot the pit and meat together in a wireless deal. iGrill is Bluetooth and there is an iPhone app.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

My et73 works well after 4 years. Still using the original set of probes.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #10
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

No issues with my two 732s (after many cooks), but there is a reason I have two. I always feel like something bad might happen. Too many folks have had reliability issues. As for the probes, you do need to baby them a little. When those new waterproof ones come out in 6' I will definitely look at those.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 05:04 AM   #11
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

maverick around here, I go through a few...so I just cook by the guru in one or two of my meats at a time..they just dont hold up..however mostly my fault, pinched cables, dropped in water, left in rain, if I treated them better they might last a little longer...even the guru I go through a couple probes a year, so once you decide on a brand, stick with it so you have spare parts..

Old 11-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I Grill, Get the Ambient pit probe and ya also get 2 Meat probes. Like it so far and yes Bluetooth for the I Phone.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
IamMadMan

I've had an ET-732 for a couple years with no issues still using with the original probes.

Care when using, cleaning, and storage do make a great difference in the life of the unit.

I like the ET-733 because the display is slightly larger and gives you added information like high and low settings, and it has customizable presets for your meats.

Although I use a BBQ Guru, it is nice to get an alarm, or just to glance from the recliner to view status of the cooker and the meat without loading an app on my smartphone.

After many years of watching a pit, going out every hour or so to see how things are going. These were great times when I was younger and I actually enjoyed it.

Now that age has seemed to win the battle with me, I enjoy the new armchair / couch potato approach to BBQ Smoking. It is great to get much more sleep and have some peace of mind without having to go up and down the steps to check things out.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
sportsnut
is one Smokin' Farker

I just ordered the ET-733 from New Egg, $82 shipped.
sportsnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Georgiaboy98
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

I know they're expensive but I love my Thermoworks TW8060 with the high temp kit. No wireless on it though.