Any ideas for Chicken and Fish eaters?

jeremu

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a couple family members that don't eat red meat and I always cook a split chicken on the Pitt Barrel just for them ... I will say it turns out AMAZING every time, but I would really like some verity if anyone has suggestions of something that's turned out mouth wateringly delicious.

THANK YOU!

BYsLvrg.jpg

Sometimes a different presentation is all it takes to add variety. For example, spending a few minutes to turn drumsticks into lollipops. As far as fish goes, the sky in the limit, what kind of fish do they like?

Sometimes a different presentation is all it takes to add variety. For example, spending a few minutes to turn drumsticks into lollipops. As far as fish goes, the sky in the limit, what kind of fish do they like?
How in the heck did you do that. Those are the most amazing thing I've ever seen :jaw:

Any fish ... prolly a white fish? I normally pan fry my Salmon.

TBH I feel bad when I make an amazing brisket or tri-tip or ribs and there isn't that same "special" meal for my chicken/fish eaters. So I just want something "special" .... @thirdeye THOSE drums ARE SUMPTIN' SPECIAL!

Put BBQ sauce on some white fish and let it set for 15 or 20. Grill it 3 or 4 minutes a side. A lot of people I know have never thought about anything like that. You can also cook some with a lemon pepper seasoning on some cedar planks.

Cedar plank fish over indirect heat. It's good stuff. I've even put the planks over direct heat and scorched them but the fish was still excellent.

Redfish on the Halfshell (or snapper, rockfish, etc).

Any solid white fish with sturdy scales. Fillet but leave skin/scales on. Prepare a baste of melted butter, Italian herbs, and Cajun seasoning (e.g. Tony Chachere's or Slap Ya Momma). Grill scale side down and season with the baste. When the fish is just cooked through it will come off the "shell" with ease.

Some folks us a spatula to remove the fillet, others serve it whole and eat out of the "shell"

David

Without further specificity, chicken and fish is a very broad category! Nonetheless, a few chicken favorites we return to often you might give a whirl:

Savory Chicken Kabobs:

Ok I gotta checkout those kebabs!!!

I totally forgot I have a super simple LEGIT smoked wings recipe too!!
Put party wings in ziploc bag with olive oil and hot sauce you would use for hot wings. Massage the bag. Smoke at 300°-350° for 1 hour and serve. Then add as much hot sauce as you want.

Thank you for the ideas!!!

Cornell Chicken is hard to beat. Although I cut down on the salt quite a bit from the original recipe.

Redfish on the Halfshell (or snapper, rockfish, etc)...

This sounds like something I would eat even w/o my friends. Do I smoke, q or grill?

Cornell Chicken is hard to beat. Although I cut down on the salt quite a bit from the original recipe.

I have not heard of such recipes!!! I looked it up and I could totally get with this! Thank you

Huli huli sauceis the best thing to ever happen to chicken. I end up making almost once a week.

@jeremu - grill over a medium fire. The scales smell funny, but to not affect the fillet.

How in the heck did you do that. Those are the most amazing thing I've ever seen :jaw:

Any fish ... prolly a white fish? I normally pan fry my Salmon.

TBH I feel bad when I make an amazing brisket or tri-tip or ribs and there isn't that same "special" meal for my chicken/fish eaters. So I just want something "special" .... @thirdeye THOSE drums ARE SUMPTIN' SPECIAL!

Thanks for the kind words. I use a small, sharp knife and cut around the end of the bone. In addition to skin and meat, there are also tendons to cut through. Take a kitchen towel, hold on to the bone, and push the meat and skin toward the thick end of the drumstick. Trim out the tendons and a small bone you will find. Then square up the large end so they sit upright. I brine mine for a few hours then smoke in a butter broth to tender up the skin. I wrap the bone in foil when smoking. Lastly glaze them.
7Q3cSOz.jpg

M7S7N6N.jpg

BzdPl88.jpg

mJiMmrE.jpg

If you think a whole fish would be appealing, the presentation can be unique. Season the inside and outside, (lemon pepper, garlic salt or whatever) add some aromatics like lemon, fresh dill or green onion to the cavity and just roast them raised direct or indirect. Scoring the skin is an option too. It's a hands-on thing, and small boned fish take some work but if it's cooked correctly the flesh comes off the small bones.

VgFR4Hz.jpg

IOoh5VM.jpg

ULM6LnB.jpg

NDdCl4K.jpg

Option 2, try grilling a skin-on salmon fillet. Never turn, and serve the lemon on the side, the juice is delicious after cooking.

JBUlxRY.jpg

Last edited:
You mean this... "Pork the OTHER white meat" isn't true? :confused: :shock: :sad:

RIGHT!!! That's what I'm saying.

That being said the best pork I've ever smoked is a basted DOUBLE smoked spiraled ham. I'm sooo hungry. It's too early to be this hungry.

Chicken wings come out awesome. I do a buffalo style that is amazing.

Blackened tilapia on the grill comes out awesome. Gotta cook hot and fast.

Lots of salmon options. I use some Cajun seasoning on skinless filets.

Shrimp kabobs are always a hit too.

Back