MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
nicerackbbqteam
On the road to being a farker

Default Pricing Help

we just got an opportunity to sell BBQ tri-tip sandwiches...at a Local business..

my Qustion how much should we sell the sandwiches for? and how much sliced tri tip per sandwich?

thank you

Old 01-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Depends alot on your bun, roll, bread.

1/4 - 1/2 lb.

$5 - $8 per.

YMMV
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
nicerackbbqteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post

1/4 - 1/2 lb.

$5 - $8 per.

YMMV
on a 4-6" steak roll we havent deciced yet but im leaning more towards 6"
Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

What do you pay for tri-tip? With a 6" roll you need 8 oz so Divide by 2 add the cost of the bun and multiply that by 4 and that's per sammy. Rough idea anyway.

You may not have though of this but you will ned insurance to do this or should have it. Also may need some HD inspections unless you use their kitchen for prep.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post

1/4 - 1/2 lb.

$5 - $8 per.

YMMV

My Mileage is the same here!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
nicerackbbqteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
What do you pay for tri-tip? With a 6" roll you need 8 oz so Divide by 2 add the cost of the bun and multiply that by 4 and that's per sammy. Rough idea anyway.

You may not have though of this but you will ned insurance to do this or should have it. Also may need some HD inspections unless you use their kitchen for prep.
all permits and insurances is all taken care of ..and yes we are using there kitchen to prep and store in the coolers
Old 01-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

use bollios from a mexican market 5 for a buck over here at el super (formerly gigante) and they are baked fresh every hour. We charge $5 per sandwich with 3 healthy slices. everybody loves them, got no complaints only compliments.
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

What are worth? Charge what you are worth or stay out of the business. I can't stress this enough, if you need the money that is one thing, if not charge appropriately. You aren't competing with restaurants because if you were you would be losing money, again those guys are already cooking so to toss on a few more pounds of meat is nothing.

How much are you gonna sell per day? How many days will you be providing this service? How many hours per day? Will this tri-tip be served fresh off the grill? What if they want more than just tri-tip?

We can't tell you what to charge. Figure out what your time is worth and go from there. Don't do the job because you want to come here and say you are in the business. I can tell you that it costs a few bucks to get into the business and you need to be agressive and smart to stay in the business. Consider the cost of wear and tear on your equipment, your body and all the other stuff you never think of when you decide to get in the business.

Now tell me what are you worth per hour?

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
nicerackbbqteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
What are worth? Charge what you are worth or stay out of the business. I can't stress this enough, if you need the money that is one thing, if not charge appropriately. You aren't competing with restaurants because if you were you would be losing money, again those guys are already cooking so to toss on a few more pounds of meat is nothing.

How much are you gonna sell per day? How many days will you be providing this service? How many hours per day? Will this tri-tip be served fresh off the grill? What if they want more than just tri-tip?

We can't tell you what to charge. Figure out what your time is worth and go from there. Don't do the job because you want to come here and say you are in the business. I can tell you that it costs a few bucks to get into the business and you need to be agressive and smart to stay in the business. Consider the cost of wear and tear on your equipment, your body and all the other stuff you never think of when you decide to get in the business.

Now tell me what are you worth per hour?...if you have to ask you cant afford me haha
WOW words of encouragement...

look yes i am new to the business ...so what..i am asking for some advice not to price my foods...oh and by the way do to the "positive" response i have gotten we have came up with our price based on the the responses, my meat prices,# per sammi..spices.. Ect..thank you guys

How much are you gonna sell per day?..
We are shooting for a goal of 50 sammis a day
How many days will you be providing this service?
Right now Friday and saturday
How many hours per day? Will this tri-tip be served fresh off the grill? ... yes and Lunch and dinner 11-6
What if they want more than just tri-tip?...
for right now its just going to be Tri-tip and links and later once a buzz gets going we are going to introduce a new menu item

just to clear it up..we are BBQin at a Local Bar n Grill...we were approached to run there kitchen because they dident want anything to do with kitchen anymore.. the owners are concentrating on just the bar... we worked our an arrangement were we run kitchen and pay a monthly rent..so we are selling our food and bar snacks this will help get my name out and bring more people in the bar... because they never BBQued for being a Bar n Gril... just are "comming Soon" flyers are getting a good response