MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Default Joe Davidson Chicken Recipe- Anyone Tried it:

Has anyone tried Joe Davidson's "The Best Chicken on the Planet? See Youtube below for video and recipe. I know it is not smoking but I am constantly looking for new/better wasy to cook the ole bird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfN0mpcLdOs

I plan on cooking this version this weekend and I will let the brethren know my thoughts on it, if someone has already done it I would like to know your thoughts.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
btcg
Babbling Farker

Interesting. Lotta sugar, though.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

A cup of honey and a half cup of brown sugar in a quart of BBQ sauce, 2 cups of Beef Bullion, Cup of Tiger Sauce and a half cup of Red Wine Vinegar for eight thighs. I will let you know if it is any good or not but it sounds good.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelterrapin View Post
A cup of honey and a half cup of brown sugar in a quart of BBQ sauce, 2 cups of Beef Bullion, Cup of Tiger Sauce and a half cup of Red Wine Vinegar for eight thighs. I will let you know if it is any good or not but it sounds good.
Thanks bro!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

I've not tried the recipe on the video but I work about 200 yard from a spice blender company that make his seasonings and others like Head Country. I made friends with one of the people that work there and I get free samples from time to time.

Joe Davidson's pork and chicken rub is great and I use it a lot. I do want to try his "Best Chicken on the planet" recipe soon.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

I have ordered a couple of bottles of his Pork & Chicken seasoning and it should arrive tomorrow. I bought it primarily to try out his chicken recipe but will try it on other things.

Anyone know where I can buy Tiger Sauce in quart or gallon containers? All the local stored have is the little 5.5 ounce "Try Me" bottles.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelterrapin View Post
I have ordered a couple of bottles of his Pork & Chicken seasoning and it should arrive tomorrow. I bought it primarily to try out his chicken recipe but will try it on other things.

Anyone know where I can buy Tiger Sauce in quart or gallon containers? All the local stored have is the little 5.5 ounce "Try Me" bottles.
You could make your own Tiger Sauce. Double this recipe and you'll have almost a gallon.

Tiger Sauce
6 oz small fresh red hot chiles
12 oz pickled red cherry peppers, drained
2 oz juice from pickled red cherry peppers
2.5 oz tamarind pods (shell & strings removed)
4 cups water
1 cup distilled white vinegar, 5% acid
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 TBS salt, course (kosher)
1/2 cup Dry Sherry

1 3/4 tsp Xanthan gum
1/3 tsp sodium benzoate

Trim & rough cut fresh chiles. Place all ingredients, except the last two items (Xanthan gum and sodium benzoate) in stainless steel pot. Cover, bring to boil and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally. Break up tamarind pods while cooking. Let cool slightly and process in a blender. Force through a course strainer. Return sauce to the cook pot, cover and bring to a boil. Wisk in the Xanthan gum and sodium benzoate. Chill. Bottle. Makes 7 cups.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Thanks for the recipe. I will began my quest for the ingredients as some of them I have never heard of. Do you have a source for Pickled Red Cherry Peppers, Tamarind Pods, Xanthan Gum and Sodium Benzoate. If I could fond everything I would love to make the receipe to see how it would turn out. What peppers are you calling Fresh Red Hot Peppers as there are so many different peppers in the pepper family.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
smokemaster1
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds and looks interesting. I'm a bit skeptical, Boiling the chicken? Let us know how they come out.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
RX2006JE
On the road to being a farker

Wheel here is a place that you can get Tiger Sauce by the gallon
http://www.thehotsaucestop.com/servl...r-Sauce/Detail
RX2006JE is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->