• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Which event defines the True "World Champion" of competition BBQ?

BChawg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Memphis in May?
The AR Invitational?
The AR Open?
The Jack?
The Texas Rodeo?
Team of The Year winner?
The Pickled Pigs Power rankings?
Total Prize Money won in a given year?
Pitmaster circuit winner?

PlowDoggleIQueEnvy?

Unfortunately, I don't have a dog in the fight on this one! Should be fun to get an overall opinion from the Band of Brethren!

Clark

Clark Kent Super Smokers

IMO, none of them do. You can't name a true World Champion unless there is one set of rules and one set of judges, in fact, I think there would have to be some sort of unified organization. Look at boxing, what a mess, sure there have been unified champions at times, there have also been mutiple champions at times. Too messy.

A combined KCBS/MBN type event is about as close as you could get I think and there is only 1 of those I think (Illinois?).

clearly The Jack, as that is the only one that invites International Teams.

I agree that The Jack is the closest thing to a true "world" championship because of the presence of teams from outside North America.

The Jack is consisted of Grand Champions from around the country and the world. Everyone there has to have won a contest in order to get a chance at a draw. Not sure how the world competitors are decided.

IMO, none of them do. You can't name a true World Champion unless there is one set of rules and one set of judges, in fact, I think there would have to be some sort of unified organization. Look at boxing, what a mess, sure there have been unified champions at times, there have also been mutiple champions at times. Too messy.

I agree. No real way of crowning a World Champ.

Too messy.

Needless to say, if you win any of those events you are a world class cooker.

Only thing with the Jack is that alot of "Powerhouse" teams don't always make the weighted draw

Curious--how many international teams have placed top ten overall at the Jack? Has an international team ever won it?

Clark

Clark Kent

Personally, I would only call myself World Champion if I won the Jack. Clearly I'm not suggesting that it will happen - but that's how I see it.

With that said, I think the size of the AR puts it in a class all its own. Perhaps American Champion, or something like it.

Only thing with the Jack is that alot of "Powerhouse" teams don't always make the weighted draw

Curious--how many international teams have placed top ten overall at the Jack? Has an international team ever won it?

Clark

Clark Kent

Mad Cow won it like 6 years ago? They are from England...

Any team that makes the Jack is a champion. Because "powerhouse" teams don't make it, then I'd suggest they win more and get that auto... that is also part of the allure of the Jack...

I would say the Jack, because it is international, American Royal is exactly what the name says, American. I do not believe they are anyless prestigious just not the World Champion.

Well Memphis in May also calls itself the World Championship. I would say that the Jack and MIM are the 2 world championships and if someone referred to themselves as a world champion you would know they meant one of those 2 events. Those events are also probably the only 2 national events that carry any swagger outside of the BBQ world. Everyone knows about Memphis in May and the Jack.

Well Memphis in May also calls itself the World Championship. I would say that the Jack and MIM are the 2 world championships and if someone referred to themselves as a world champion you would know they meant one of those 2 events. Those events are also probably the only 2 national events that carry any swagger outside of the BBQ world. Everyone knows about Memphis in May and the Jack.

Houston also calls itself the World Championship. So if you want to argue with a Texan, go ahead. But my feeling is if you don't invite International Teams, I don't see how you can proclaim that you are the World Champion. And you can tell Myron I said that!!!! :twisted:

Houston also calls itself the World Championship. So if you want to argue with a Texan, go ahead. But my feeling is if you don't invite International Teams, I don't see how you can proclaim that you are the World Champion. And you can tell Myron I said that!!!! :twisted:

good point, I didn't know that Houston was called a World Championship.

Smoke Signals

Issue Two of Smoke Signals will be out next week and will feature an excellent article on the 'big four' competitions that are in contention for the title.

Eric

Well their all wrong - Its clearly Fire on Ice. What was the question again?

LOL Turk
It is kinda like the
NCAA Div one lots of ways to look at it

So the World Champion Saints are not really the champions? What about the baseball and basketball World Champs? If there have to be international teams to be world champions, there is a problem.

Back