BOLOGNA - Help

T

travis1985

I have a Lareg BGE, and plan a good sized cook for my son's birthday this weekend....

- 2 loins
- various sausage

- and we want to try a bologna any advice?

- I use dizzy pig on almost everything
- we like garlic
- plan to cook/heat indirect

any pros have ideas!!

thanks

No special advice to give on bologna really other than to score it so that it looks pretty (and I like that it gives extra surface for a little more rub). Then just rub it and smoke it. Pre-cooked bologna does not need to reach a safe temp, but there is not sense letting it hang around for long periods at unsafe temps really. My advice, cook it until you have to eat it because you can't stand it any more. When it looks done is good advice IMHO.

If you are going to slice it thin and cool for sandwiches later, let it cool done for a while first, those things will leak juices like you won't believe. I love running them through my meat slicer and making sandwiches.

I don't use a rub (it doesn't cook in, so if feels gritty to me). I take a 5lb chub, and cut it into 1" slices, coat with evoo and throw on the smoker. I cook at 225-250 and go completely by color. It's usually ready in a little under 2 hrs.

The 1" slices make a really good serving size....if you want sammies, then cut the 1" slices down to 1/2" after it cools down.

I don't use a rub (it doesn't cook in, so if feels gritty to me). I take a 5lb chub, and cut it into 1" slices, coat with evoo and throw on the smoker. I cook at 225-250 and go completely by color. It's usually ready in a little under 2 hrs.

The 1" slices make a really good serving size....if you want sammies, then cut the 1" slices down to 1/2" after it cools down.

sounds good, what is EVOO? extra virgin olive oil?

You are correct. Give the man a cupie doll! :biggrin:
On the rub being too coarse, just run it through a coffee grinder first before applying it.

what about garlic cloves in the meat, too much?

Not too much in my opinion. In fact, when you score it, put a sliver from a clove in each cross section!:cool:

how much should bologna cost / pound, went by the store and these nuts want 5/pound!

I get a 5lb chub of Bar-S for $5.72.....I know because I just bought 10 lbs yesterday... It actually went up. just a month ago, it was $5.00 for 5lbs.

Cowgirl that looked realy good will have to try them.

The last contest I was at another competetor had some bologna cooked up in a very spicy sauce. it was sliced may 1/2" or so and it was in a foil pan simmer in the sauce. Does this sound familiar to anyone? if so, I would love to hear how to do it, it was amazing.

Back