alittle help....

M

Markbb

I've been asked to Q some ribs approx. 20 spares, they'll provide the ribs and I provide the knowledge like RO and suace, rub, pecan wood and of course the smoker, I'll start in the morning and finish at evening cooling in the frig. for the next day yes they'll be wrapped in foil and reheated at the job site how much should I charge for these services, I don't want to make a retirement off of them but I need the compensation.......I'm stoked:-D

I would calculate the number of people 20 slabs would feed, then calculate a standard rib gig for that number of people, subtract the cost of meat and give them an invoice for whatever that amount comes to. Once you cheat yourself with a customer, they will find it easier and easier to cheat you themselves. Get what your time, materials and expertise is worth or cook yourself some ribs, pop open a guiness and enjoy your day for yourself.

Just my opinion.

Ribs

Well I don't have any Guinesse on hand but I do have a bottle of Wild Turkey, I understand the time issue and don't want to be taken advantage over, my thing how do you put a dollar figure on somthing you love to do I was figuring on a minimen wage maybe 8 bucks an hour and charge alittle higher on the equipment used, I need a answer by tonite and I was leaning toward 160$ for time and equipment rendered

Well I don't have any Guinesse on hand but I do have a bottle of Wild Turkey, I understand the time issue and don't want to be taken advantage over, my thing how do you put a dollar figure on somthing you love to do I was figuring on a minimen wage maybe 8 bucks an hour and charge alittle higher on the equipment used, I need a answer by tonite and I was leaning toward 160$ for time and equipment rendered

wow!

hell I wont do things that I like for minimum wage! its gonna cost a whole lot more that that for somemthing I love

I have a catering calculator that I use. I come up with approx. 50 people in attendance getting roughly 5 bones each; or, 25 people getting 10 bones each. That equals approx. 20 slabs of ribs. I calculate a 2.50 per person base amount and then add 100.00 for wood, coal, and time. I come up with 225.00. Ok, so you may be trying to score an deal to setup some good word of mouth - cool! Not a problem. Just make sure you let them know that the $160 is a discounted rate for whatever reason. This way, when you service this customer in the future, they will expect more standard rates.

Tony

Just working it kinda backwards--you are thinking of $8 per slab for your time, trouble, and expenses.If ribs cost them $8-10 per slab as they do around here, they are getting the whole deal for $16-$18/slab cost.

That is on the low side of market around here from the pros with all the overhead of a food-service business. But, certainly not a "give away" price either.

Your call in the long run.

Who is reheating and how??? A lot can be involved there if you have to transport a cooker and provide more heat and all of that.

Good luck and have fun.

TIM

$160 for at least 8 hours work? Not to mention the wood, gas for delivery, use of your smoker and equipment.

If this is for a charity and you only want to get your costs back, that's one thing. If you are treating this as a business deal, be professional and recognize that you are providing a valuable service.

Tim's right
Thats a $400 job
20 slabs 40+ people at $10.00 per.

I would re-neg and try to supply the meat at 22.00 per slab

Tim hit on my question -- do you have to take a cooker to the site to reheat - and tables, knives, cuttingboards, etc - to prep and serve them? Aluminum pans, foil, etc, etc.

I would really gauge it on how much effort you are going to have to put in outside of just the cooking too. It also depends on how they are going pay you, etc. too.... Ask MoKan - but doing a 'favor' for work - got him a 1099 as a 'vendor', and he paid taxes on it! So something he kept the cost down on turned into a deal where ya could lose money somewhere in the supply chain.

In the end you'll pick a figure you think is fair - and thats good. Just make sure the number you give them takes into account everything you have to do to pull this off. Much more time than just the cooking :)

Ribs

Well I got under bid they have an outfit that will provide the meat and everything else labor fuel, and foil for 220$, for all I know it could be just plain ribs with no rub or Q sauce, and I quoted 180$ without the meat, what can you say.............I hope they enjoy there lunch!

Well I got under bid they have an outfit that will provide the meat and everything else labor fuel, and foil for 220$, for all I know it could be just plain ribs with no rub or Q sauce, and I quoted 180$ without the meat, what can you say.............I hope they enjoy there lunch!

IMHO--you have lost nothing but some cooking practice :lol:

TIM

Wow. I really can't believe that. I get the feeling that those ribs are going to suck.

I mean, can you even buy 20 slabs of spares for less than $220? Even if you can... just damn.

Very curious.

Bbq

Sorry you lost out. Were they co-workers or friends?
They weren't family or friends just a next door nieghbor who I've cooked for before and they liked it and wanted me to cook for her work, oh well you get what you pay for, I was really wanting to do this job, but I'm not going to cut my throat for it!!!

Good call... since they have already had your food; they will get a shot at seeing what the other folks that are at that pricepoint serve up. Looks like your price will get to go up in the long run :eek:)

Thankyou

I just want to Thank all of you for the input I'm almost to the point to cook for myself only, seems like everybody wants it for free, I did'nt spend all this time on the net and on this sight to give away for free, let them figure it out well anyways Thanks For Everybodys insight:-D

Most people will go for the cheaper product, they do not consider time and knowledge. Around here everybody wants tacos and tell me they can go to a taco man that serves 5 meats for half the price. I always assure them that my food is always fresh and is grilled right in front of them.

"good food aint cheap and cheap food aint good"

Wow. I really can't believe that. I get the feeling that those ribs are going to suck.

I mean, can you even buy 20 slabs of spares for less than $220? Even if you can... just damn.

Very curious.

Somebody is going to be eating some boiled ribs

Back