MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
cokenn
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Post-Cooking Tips and Tricks

.I'm looking for some post-cooking tips for ribs, brisket, pork butt, etc. Such as wrapping in a towel and setting in a cooler. Any info is greatly appreciated! :)

Cody
cokenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ribs: Don't let sit or even hot hold too long if possible. They're best served pretty soon after pulling off the smoke (IMO).

Pork: wrap tightly in foil and hold for HOURS in a warm cooler, cambro or oven. They're pretty hard to screw up, but when they DO overcook, the meat texture gets a little mushy and soft. Not entirely BAD, but just so you know. I've seen a large coffin cooler full of pork butts hold temp for 10-12 hours.

Brisket: put some beef broth in the foil if you'r gonna hold it for a while to keep from drying out. I don't have as much luck holding these as butts, but then I've not done as many of them as butts. The longer the hold time, the more overcooked they seem to get, or even if they start cooling off....they're not as good as when they're nice and hot. Rest, yes. Hold, not as well.

These are, at least, my own personal experiences.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
landarc

Well, a lot of methods. I have taken to heating my oven, with a pizza stone in it to 200F, once the meat is done, I leave it wrapped in paper and place it in the oven, then kill the heat. It will hold like this for two hours.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Bludawg

RIbs serve hot & fresh

Pork butts wrap and rest at least 2 hrs in an empty cooler, save all the inedible bits once the butt is pulled squeeze out all the juices from them over the meat, season with Salt and some E.NC Pig Juice.

Brisket allow to rest on the counter top wrapped In BP until the IT has dropped to 150 before unwrapping to carve

Old 03-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

I don't think there is really any easy answer except shoulder. Ribs I rest covered on the counter waiting for the sides. I suck at brisket so don't ask me ;)
Pork shoulder I have rested 4hrs in the cooler and it was still too hot to pull and soo juicy.
Chicken, hot & fast maybe 20-30 min rest tented
What it comes down to is what works for you

Oh fatty's If I'm cooking them for the next day I pull them a little rare so the don't dry out reheating.

Last edited by superlazy; 03-05-2013 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Oh fattys
superlazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
cokenn
Got rid of the matchlight.

So let the pork butt maintain temp in the cooler or let it cool off?

Great info guys, much appreciated!
cokenn is offline   Reply With Quote