• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Strange goings on

juslearning

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Have any of you ever cooked a butt in a pan half full of water and vinegar mix? It would seem like it is almost like boiling or steaming it. My buddy, who actually
cooks alot for groups says he does this and puts nothing but salt and pepper on it and covers it up with sauce. Cooks it a 250 for 8 hrs and lets it cool down for 2 hrs before he pulls it. No checking the temp of meat or anything. 8 hrs at 250 or so. And that is going by thermo on the grill. I don't get the theory.:doh::doh:

I do something similar sometimes in the winter with chuck roasts or deer roasts. Start it up before I go to work, and it's done when I get home. Usually put some taters and onions in there too. Don't even have to build a fire in it, just plug it into the wall. It says "Rival" on it. :biggrin1:

I've been putting my butts in a pan a few hours into the cook. I don't add any liquid though. By the end there is a nice bit of juice in there that I pour back over the pork after I pull it.

Your buddy is using the crock-pot method of bbq'n...without the crock-pot :doh:

I don't even know where to begin..other than this statement here tells the whole story: "covers it up with sauce"

:roll: :tape:

Have any of you ever cooked a butt in a pan half full of water and vinegar mix? It would seem like it is almost like boiling or steaming it. My buddy, who actually
cooks alot for groups says he does this and puts nothing but salt and pepper on it and covers it up with sauce. Cooks it a 250 for 8 hrs and lets it cool down for 2 hrs before he pulls it. No checking the temp of meat or anything. 8 hrs at 250 or so. And that is going by thermo on the grill. I don't get the theory.:doh::doh:

Sounds as if he may be a closet Crock Potter. Steer clear of this kind.

Edit: D'OH! SirPorkALot beat me to it.

crock-pot-bbq-pit.jpg

:thumb:

Like I said, he cooks for alot of people and they seem to enjoy it. We are supposed to cook for about 140 in a few weeks, but I don't think I can stand to watch it, much less help make it happen. I think I am going to do the pork and let him do the chicken. I understand the pan or foiling, just not with water and vinegar.

He should just save the charcoal and put it in the crock pot.

Back