smoked duck

capri man

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
my grandson is into duck hunting. now please tell me how to cook one of those stinking things! i tried a caniadian goose one time and even after i threw it out, the stray dogs would not even eat it!!!!!!!! marinade or what?? thanks, mike

i wrap the breasts in bacon and grill until medium rare. kind of simple, but it works.

my grandson is into duck hunting. now please tell me how to cook one of those stinking things! i tried a caniadian goose one time and even after i threw it out, the stray dogs would not even eat it!!!!!!!! marinade or what?? thanks, mike

What kind of duck is it? If it's a fish eating duck, I wouldn't waste my time with it.

BTW, if you didn't like the Canadian Honker, I doubt you are going to like any kind of wild duck. The Honkers I have eaten (and I've eaten plenty) were hands down better than any kind of wild duck I've ever had.

Why do you say don't waste your time with a fish eating duck, Al? What's the matter with them? :confused:

tish... I guess it's just a matter of personal preference... The couple times I tried fish eating / diving ducks they tasted very strong and fishy. I tried a number of ways of soaking and marinating them and could not get rid of that taste. At least with a mallard, a teal, a widgeon, or some of the other grain eating ducks the meat (breast meat) is somewhat palatable. A well prepared grain duck breast or better yet a Lesser Canadian Honker breast tastes almost like a very rich roast beef.

tish... I guess it's just a matter of personal preference... The couple times I tried fish eating / diving ducks they tasted very strong and fishy. I tried a number of ways of soaking and marinating them and could not get rid of that taste. At least with a mallard, a teal, a widgeon, or some of the other grain eating ducks the meat (breast meat) is somewhat palatable. A well prepared grain duck breast or better yet a Lesser Canadian Honker breast tastes almost like a very rich roast beef.

There's a difference betwween a diving duck (duck) and a merganser ('fish
duck'). Divers (scaup, goldeneye, canvasback, redhead, ring neck) eat celery root, rice, different kinds of vegetation, and some snails, mussels, and freshwater shrimp, but nothing with fins, scales, etc.. Most puddlers eat largely the same kind of things. Mergansers eat minnows. They're a waterfowl, but not a duck..narrow bills and good size teeth.

I usually just roast ducks, unstuffed and salt & pepper, skin on at 325-350. Just
don't overcook. If I put both in front of someone, they can't tell the difference
between a diver and a puddler, other than size (canvasbacks are huge, lesser scaup are smallish, ring necks[aka ringbill, mistakenly called a bluebill, which are scaup] are scrawney like a barnyard rooster, mallards and black ducks are plump, teal dinky, widgeon in between). If I smoke, first
I give them a simple brine overnight, into the pit at 325 for half an hour, reduce heat to finish.

Only duck I have eaten is a Chinese BBQ. Not sure if he is a puddler, fish eat, or a large honker.
I call them "city boy ducks." :mrgreen:

There's a difference betwween a diving duck (duck) and a merganser ('fish
duck'). Divers (scaup, goldeneye, canvasback, redhead, ring neck) eat celery root, rice, different kinds of vegetation, and some snails, mussels, and freshwater shrimp, but nothing with fins, scales, etc.. Most puddlers eat largely the same kind of things. Mergansers eat minnows. They're a waterfowl, but not a duck..narrow bills and good size teeth.

Shouldn't have said "diver duck" which I guess I've never had based on your list... Meant merganser... Thanks for sharing the cook technique which is what the OP was really after. :thumb:

thanks guys, as usual!!:clap2: heck i thought all ducks ate fish because they stay in the water all the time!!:crazy::crazy:

Back