transporting bbq materials

those "busboy" totes, from Sam's or restaurant depot work great, you can transport stuff to the site, and use them as washing basins to wash stuff when you are there.

I use my smokers. I pack as much stuff under the seats as I possibly can and then I use the smokers to pack as much stuff in those as I can. My wife and I compete using only our two little Toyotas. It takes a lot of planning - but the smokers themselves work great for packing stuff.

Hope this helps -

I have a trailer, and work on condensing most of the small stuff to a 3 drawer Rubbermaid cart. It fits under my prep table and I don't have to dig through a deep tub looking for a box of toothpicks.

I use many totes that have nice lids to keep things dry all it takes is a rain storm and you'll be mad you didn't have things in totes

Use clear totes so you can see whats in them. It can save you from opening several totes to find one thing especailly if your in a hurry.

BruceB and I make Spydermike bring everything, it is kind of embarrassing though when he shows up with 8-10 black garbage bags full of stuff. Maybe we best review this for this coming comp season. :)
We have several totes, I like the ones with the lock down handles on the ends, that way you know a lid won't blow off when they are in the back of the pick-up.

Scott

if you use tote mark them clearly or use see-through ones. When the weather is nice and dry, we like to use milk crates (don't tell anyone). easy to see things.

I load my smoker. Charcoal and wood on the racks and in the firebox. Then other things go in my warmer box.

We do have some totes electrical cords and such. I like the ones with the interlocking lids that stack well.

We also use a 3 drawer cabinet for spices, tools, gloves ect.

work on condensing most of the small stuff ... I don't have to dig through a deep tub looking for a box of toothpicks.
Agree-- accessibility is key. Our small stuff is in a separate place from the big stuff.

I use many totes that have nice lids to keep things dry
Oh hell yes! In that storm at Mesquite, you know what was in the tote with the cracked lid that got soaked? Our entire supply of paper towels!

Use clear totes so you can see whats in them.
I am a nut for clear totes. I want to see where I'm going before I put my nails at risk prying a lid off.

Additionally, we've found that totes with locking handles can have the handles locking either up or down -- the ones that locked down were prone to unlocking or popping off when we lifted them, so the next set locked up.

No matter how you transport it, remember the golden mantra: LESS IS MORE.

We used 3 drawer totes for spices gloves, injectors etc...and clear totes for everything else...and I like to keep things in separate categories in my totes for better organization!!! helps when you're in a rush!!!! :-D

And i have specific totes for things that might not get used. It's my rainy day and cold weather totes. If the weather is nice, they don't get opened or unloaded. I don't mix other things with them.

Back