MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default ** Oh No! Not another Kamado Restoration Project? **

Yeah, Its true! The boy done lost his mind! My SIL called and asked me if I wanted another Kamado? Her BIL wanted to get rid of one he's had for thirty years to make way for a new deck, all I had to do was haul it off!

It's a Medium size "Hibachi Pot" Kamado from Japan

It's in rough shape, but it has some unique qualities about it, hard to see in the pics, but it has an outline of a mountain (I'm assuming Mt Fuji) on the lid and another on the cap, and a draft plug instead of a slider for the intake.

Got the firebox pieced back together

The ring is repaired

The cracks are eerily similar to the ones I'm repairing on my LBGE!

I'll be updating the thread as the work progresses, but here is the Large Sakura Kamado next in line!

Vent plugs for the intake

I had to have my local Ace Hardware order more Furnace cement!!

Waddya think?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
JD McGee

JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I consider you a master of bringing life back to older ceramic smokers!

You rock brother.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
osx-addict
On the road to being a farker

swamprb --

That may be one of Richard Johnson's old Kamado's since it has the plug instead of a door.. He had some suggestions to someone else that had a plug and I believe he said something about making sure you remove or dislodge the plug after the fire is out but before the Kamado cools down or the plug may get stuck on place.. Anyway, great find regardless!
osx-addict is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2008, 01:01 AM   #5
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

My Grandpa had one just like that but w/o the lid and wheels. Brings back memories.
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Swamp, congrats on the find. I betchu people in Japan would pay you some bucks for one of your restored cookers.
Have you looked into selling these? If your not emotionally attached, gettin paid for your restoration expertise is not a bad thing.
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single Fin Smoker View Post
Swamp, congrats on the find. I betchu people in Japan would pay you some bucks for one of your restored cookers.
Have you looked into selling these? If your not emotionally attached, gettin paid for your restoration expertise is not a bad thing.
I've sold two Chinese/Taiwanese Kamados, they just don't move me.

This one needed the firebox rebuilt

This one needed the lid repaired

Old 07-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
RickLWright
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Me TOO!

I just inherited and egg that looks an awful lot like the one you have there on the piece of plywood. Mine is also orange with green paint and mine also has a firebox broken into about 7 or 8 pieces. I have been trying to figure out what glue to use. I was going to use fireplace mortar cement but it cures at 1200 degrees and I'm not sure the firebox would take that kind of heat. So now I have a small little tub of black furnace cement but if you go on the Rutland web site it seems as if all the hi-temp glues are not for exterior use. Have you had good luck anyway? Is it the temp swings or the moisture that makes them fail? Do you know if, once the glue has cured is it safe to use around food? Also, the furnace cement I found says it's for metal to metal joints. Will this stuff work on clay just as well?

Rick
Mill Creek WA
RickLWright is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

Here we go again eh Brian??

Paul
milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
osx-addict
On the road to being a farker

I used regular (not black) Rutlands Furnace Cement.. Similar to the one shown in the link below:

http://doitbest.com/Furnace+Cement-R...sku-401951.dib

It does not need curing at 1200 degrees but can withstand temps of up to 1200.. You might double-check what you've got -- it is probably fine and does not cure at 1200 but can take up to 1200.. Start out with the low-n-slow temp cure as indicated elsewhere.

Make sure you use a thick layer to ensure no cracking.. I'll have mine on the inside and outside to make a nice sandwich.. You can also thin out the Rutlands to make it easier for the application.. I thinnned mine out to be perhaps a bit thicker than yogurt.. YMMV!
osx-addict is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLWright View Post
I just inherited and egg that looks an awful lot like the one you have there on the piece of plywood. Mine is also orange with green paint and mine also has a firebox broken into about 7 or 8 pieces. I have been trying to figure out what glue to use. I was going to use fireplace mortar cement but it cures at 1200 degrees and I'm not sure the firebox would take that kind of heat. So now I have a small little tub of black furnace cement but if you go on the Rutland web site it seems as if all the hi-temp glues are not for exterior use. Have you had good luck anyway? Is it the temp swings or the moisture that makes them fail? Do you know if, once the glue has cured is it safe to use around food? Also, the furnace cement I found says it's for metal to metal joints. Will this stuff work on clay just as well?

Rick
Mill Creek WA

Rick- Hi neighbor!

Head over to Cattle Call and introduce yourself!

I used Hercules High Heat Furnace Cement exclusively on this Imperial Kamado firebox over 3 years ago and its held up without any problems.

These are the tools of my trade! They work for me, thats all I care about as long as I can get it locally. McClendons in Woodinville has a good selection of furnace supplies, rope stove gaskets and adhesives.

The Hercules works fantastic on claypot Kamados, but I'm not wild about it on the ceramic parts of the Big Green Egg, that why I'm using Rutland on mine.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
swamprb

Default ***Hibachi Pot Update***

Everything is coming together on the Hibachi Pot restoration. The firebox and ring were cemented and slow baked in the oven for over 12 hours with NO cracking or bubbling. Bead Blasted, primed and painted the band hinge and cart, and the top and bottom have 2 coats of High Temp BBQ Black.

I'm thinking of trying to match the colors of a green base and an orange rolled finish. Here are a few more pics.

I found a 15.5" grate from an old ECB that fits fine in case anyone is looking for a replacement, Hawgeyes has them.

Thats it for now.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
JD McGee

Nice job Brian...you are the "Master Restorer"... Is this one a keeper?
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #14
Brauma

Thats amazing, Brian. You have found your calling.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2008, 12:00 AM   #15
MayDay
Full Fledged Farker

Looking EGGxcellent !!!

Good to hear there was no cracking or bubbling of the cement after 12 hours. What was your highest cure temperature? The cure looks good. If I didn't know better, the repaired firebox looks almost pristine. Are you keeping the ceramic snuffer top orange?