MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
scottjess
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Scottjames84
Default Zeroing UDS temperature

Hi Brethren; was wondering once you have got your UDS to your set temp; how often do you need to make adjustments to make it stay at the set temp.

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

They are pretty steady. You will get a bit more temp fluctuation with lump than with briquettes. One of the great things about the uds is how well they maintain their temps.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
scottjess

I was testing out a new UDS tonight with just a load of lump (no wood, no food) temps were fluctuating quite a bit, I am guessing it is the Lump; I have never used lump in a UDS before.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

How often did you adjust the air inlet? If too frequently, you can start chasing temps. Otherwise, you may have an air leak. Also, how did you light your lump?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

I always thought that Lump burned hotter, and Briquettes seemed to clog themselves with ashes after a 5 hours or so(hence the uds bang/wiggle rod mod). I would have thought that the ash factor was the main contiributor, and that Lump would be more constant.

However, I have seen some folks who hand assemble the lump pieces so the burn it ultra consistent . . .

Will watch for more responses.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjess View Post
I was testing out a new UDS tonight with just a load of lump (no wood, no food) temps were fluctuating quite a bit, I am guessing it is the Lump; I have never used lump in a UDS before.
I only use lump and I can usually cook 5 or 6 hours without adjustments,... I wiggle first and often that brings me back to temp, but if that does not work in 10 minutes or so, I'll open a vent.

I've never run just a load of lump, but I would guess the cooker would operate differently without meat.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

I literally set the temp to 250, put meat on, wait 1/2 hour, make sure I am running at 250, go to work at 8:30 am, come home at 12, it's still at 250, flip meat, let temps stabilize, go back to work, come home at 5 and check temp and meat.

Usually have to wiggle the basket when I get home but temp is at or near 250.

BTW, I only use K in my UDS and whatever wood.

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I have run my UDS upwards of 16 hours without touching the charcoal using Kingsford Blue. I have done this with and without the Guru temp controller.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I have run my UDS upwards of 16 hours without touching the charcoal using Kingsford Blue. I have done this with and without the Guru temp controller.
Would you mind posting or PM'ing me a photo and details of your Guru set-up? I have the old Competitor model, but I'm guessing the mounting hardware is the same.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #10
scottjess

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
How often did you adjust the air inlet? If too frequently, you can start chasing temps. Otherwise, you may have an air leak. Also, how did you light your lump?
What do you mean by chasing temps? I was adjusting the ball valve a fair bit as this was the first time cooking with the adjustable valve, my last UDS I just had 3 magnets.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Would you mind posting or PM'ing me a photo and details of your Guru set-up? I have the old Competitor model, but I'm guessing the mounting hardware is the same.
I used the WSM Adapter on the drum. I drilled a 1" hole about 1.5" above the bottom of the drum and mounted the WSM adatper in that hole with the vent blowing down. The fan I have is the Pit Viper 10cfm and I had been using the DigiQ II DX controller. I can probably snap a photo of that setup if you want to see it....

Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

I've used lump and Kingsford. Usually Kingsford. Doesn't seem to matter either way. Once temp is set it's pretty much good to go. I do use a Ique 110 for long smokes.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I used the WSM Adapter on the drum. I drilled a 1" hole about 1.5" above the bottom of the drum and mounted the WSM adatper in that hole with the vent blowing down. The fan I have is the Pit Viper 10cfm and I had been using the DigiQ II DX controller. I can probably snap a photo of that setup if you want to see it....
Yes, when it's convenient. I process information better with a picture. I have the Pit Viper 10 also, and I was concerned about the fan being so close to the ground (like when it snows). I had considered a Z piping arrangement to pick the fan up 4 or 5 inches, just not sure if that is possible.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
scottjess

Can I use JB weld around the air intakes to seal them up real good just incase of air leaks?

Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
Colemanchu
Knows what a fatty is.

You may want to throw a fatty or something on there to get some seasoning. New drums are more sporadic then ones who have been run through a few times.
Colemanchu is offline   Reply With Quote