MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Default best cooler?

We're on a long road trip. Just started week 7 of 8. We're living out of a cooler to hold meat, and similar things. I'm frustrated with this cooler. It seems to me that all coolers have the same design deficiencies. They are built like one featureless box, and you put ice in the bottom where it melts, so that your food has to marinate in ice water. Over time ziplocs leak, jar labels turn gooey, and it's just *so funky*. Why o why doesn't someone make an extra deep cooler with a nice rack that sits up above the ice to keep everything out of the water?

I got excited when I found out about Yeti coolers. Just looked at them. Same dumb aspect ratio. You can get them up to like 55" long but not deep. It's like everyone's copying a design from the 1940s.

I'm posting this in hopes that I'm wrong, that there is one out there. And coolers *are* on topic for BBQ guys. Who among us hasn't brought meat to a remote site to cook, or used a cooler to hold hot foiled smoked roasts to let their temp equilibrate?

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I understand your frustration.

We just put stuff we don't want wet (like sandwiches) in sealed TupperWare containers.
We also may put a plastic "bin" over the ice to keep stuff in it out of the water without sealing.

A "work around" that fixes it for us.

Good Luck.

TIM

Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

They are called Cambros. They work great to keep stuff cold too. Or you could buy one of those airling carts that have all the trays for cold storage. Its just a tall cambro though.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim H.

We rebag ice in gallon Ziploc bags. This greatly cuts down on the water in the cooler and seems to help cube ice to last a little longer.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Deep South
Full Fledged Farker

I drop a stainless restaurant tray over the ice and place the food inside the tray. I also leave the drain open so I don't slosh water into the pans as I travel... although I realize the drain open might not be an option.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

We use Crypopaks from Restaurant Depot. They are a reusable gel pack that work much better than ice, but we have found that they work much better when placed in a quart sized ziploc. The gel packs are susceptible to tears after a few uses, so placing them in ziplocs gives them a longer life span. These things get seriously cold, and last way longer than ice.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Coleman Xtreme
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yettie

Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

Also use blocks of ice instead of cubes, less surface area so they melt at a slower rate.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
el_matt
Babbling Farker

What about using dry-ice? I've never used it. but it seems like it might be a good option. Also, you could get a travel refridgerator, they just plug into a power-port.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_matt View Post
What about using dry-ice? I've never used it. but it seems like it might be a good option. Also, you could get a travel refridgerator, they just plug into a power-port.

Matt
Dry ice doesn't work in a sealed cooler. The off-gassing of CO2 will pop the lid open.

I have a Coleman six-day marine cooler that is big enough for my food, plus two gallon milk jugs of frozen water. It makes them into plastic wrapped ice blocks.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
NivekD
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
Coleman Xtreme
+1, and the milk jug thing works well.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
buffalotom
Full Fledged Farker

This summer I delivered buffalo meat to clients around the midwest. I used a Coleman 200 qt cooler and dry ice. We started with 300 lbs of frozen meat and 15 lbs of dry ice. The dry ice lasted two days in the back of my pickup in ninety degree temps. The cooler top stayed sealed. I do not know if that is common, but I was hoping that the dry ice would last longer. For our three week trip we used close to $ 300.00 of dry ice.
buffalotom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Here's a couple more options:

OPTION 1
As already mentioned; get a thermoelectric cooler. These tend to generate temperatures about 30 deg. under ambient (or 40 deg. over ambient in the heating mode).

OPTION 2
Get a DC to AC power converter and use it to power a small 120-volt AC refrigeratir or chest freezer.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't have a solution, but I have had the same (frustrating) thoughts that you expressed.

It seems to me that there should be a "dry well" in the middle of the cooler. You fill *around* the well with ice, and put all your food in the middle. I have thought about trying to create something along those lines by putting a tall plastic box in the middle of my cooler - with clean bricks on the bottom to keep it from floating when the ice melts.

Haven't gotten around to trying it yet though.

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote