MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Question Running for BOD against a group ticket?

As a candidate for the KCBS BOD I wanted some input on running. This morning as I went through Facebook updates of what all happened at the Jack and other weekend contests I noticed that a group of four individuals have decided to run as a group ticket. This is what I read, "Regrettably wired bbq had some technical issues this weekend so we were not able to make our live announcement. Four of us have decided to run as a ticket for the KCBS board of directors. We all share the goal of making the actions of the BOD more transparent and more accessible to the general membership. Please use your 4 votes to elect Steve Farrin, Jeff Stith, George Mullins and Dave Compton."

I thought that it was an interesting concept but to me and a couple other small team competitors like myself thought that this strategy to run as a group was very similar to what the KCBS BOD looks like now.
I only know Dave Compton personally and I have spoken to him recently about his ideas for the board and I believe he can lend a great deal to the BOD. I don't personally know the others but I believe they are outstanding people and wouldn't do anything to diminish the KCBS as it currently stands.
I just wonder if the campaigning on message boards,paid advertising in the Bull Sheet, and swaying from my reasoning for running for the board is actually worth it when put up against a group.
I feel like a political candidate that has all the right answers with support from like minded people, but without:the finances, the right forum handle, wrong last name, not enough GC's, not owning a bbq establishment, or one of many other socioeconomic variables that I seem to be short of. This seems to be similar to modern politics and what people don't want.
It appears that the only things I have going for me is my love of bbq, the fact I want my son and future generations to enjoy the art of bbq, consistency in bbq education, and a more open and transparent KCBS.
I wonder what the opinions of others relating to this are. Go it alone until the election results are read, or withdraw and spend the time with my family?
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Name recognition by CBJs is how you get elected

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

I should have known it was like that. Sounds like it is similar to needing to be a Kennedy, Bush, or Clinton.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherheadiowa View Post
I wonder what the opinions of others relating to this are. Go it alone until the election results are read, or withdraw and spend the time with my family?
Spend the time w/ your family... both you & your son will appreciate it much more when he's older, versus lost time spent on running in circles over things like parsley in styrofoam boxes, judges comment cards etc.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Spend the time w/ your family... both you & your son will appreciate it much more when he's older, versus spending a portion of time running in circles over things like parsley in styrofoam boxes, judges comment cards etc.
Vinny, you are most likely very right. I just hate for KCBS be another good ol boys, my name is, don't you know who I am club.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Vinny, you are most likely very right. I just hate for KCBS be another good ol boys, my name is, don't you know who I am club.
to late

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
They have stated that they want transparency.......honestly, i think you're looking for a reason to back out. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

www.TheSlabs.com
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by butt head View Post
to late
I guess I haven't roamed the message boards enough to realize what went on. I relied on the Bull Sheet and other competitors and judges like me to get my information and get my read on how the KCBS works.
I guess ignorance on my part is bliss for others...
Old 10-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I have known 3 of the 4 for several years. They are outstanding folks who tell you the way it is, no need to cover up anything. They tell you the fark the way it is, no bullchit.
Jeff ive met at the A. Royal, George was an administrator here on this forum. He is also a good friend of mine. Mr. Dave Compton is as honest as the day is long. Actually I offered to throw his name into the KCBS election.....He is another no bullchit/nonsense man in my opinion.
The 4 th man, don't recall ever meeting him in person but he is endorsed very highly from the other 3 folks who are running, good enough for me.
I renewed my membership last Friday so I could vote, got busy at the A. Royal a few weeks ago and didn't do it then....grrrr.

I believe these 4 folks can make a huge change, as I know them pretty damned well. Good luck to them.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
They have stated that they want transparency.......honestly, i think you're looking for a reason to back out. Not that theres anything wrong with that.
I have no reason to backout. The matter of the fact is that the KCBS is made of more people like me than them. If I can convert 1/20th of people like me to vote for me, they won't matter.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Do not beat yourself up Mr. Leatherhead, you have a young family. My best advice to you is enjoy your time with them.
I was a former union president at a IAFF local. I took away way too much time from my children. Working 24, 48 and sometime working 144 hr shifts in a row w/o being at home really hurt our family.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #12
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
I have known 3 of the 4 for several years. They are outstanding folks who tell you the way it is, no need to cover up anything. They tell you the fark the way it is, no bullchit.
Jeff ive met at the A. Royal, George was an administrator here on this forum. He is also a good friend of mine. Mr. Dave Compton is as honest as the day is long. Actually I offered to throw his name into the KCBS election.....He is another no bullchit/nonsense man in my opinion.
The 4 th man, don't recall ever meeting him in person but he is endorsed very highly from the other 3 folks who are running, good enough for me.
I renewed my membership last Friday so I could vote, got busy at the A. Royal a few weeks ago and didn't do it then....grrrr.

I believe these 4 folks can make a huge change, as I know them pretty damned well. Good luck to them.
I agree they all seem to be great guys but, none of them walk in my shoes as a competitor that competes in 8-16 contests each year, judge 2-6 contests each year, work full time, and then try to create a well rounded son.
The BOD needs people like Jeff, Steve, Dave, and George, but they could use someone lime me too. Adding four people that are like minded made add some transparency to the BOD but you are in the same situation you are in now, a group of buddies that play together and stay together.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
I agree they all seem to be great guys but, none of them walk in my shoes as a competitor that competes in 8-16 contests each year, judge 2-6 contests each year, work full time, and then try to create a well rounded son.
The BOD needs people like Jeff, Steve, Dave, and George, but they could use someone lime me too. Adding four people that are like minded made add some transparency to the BOD but you are in the same situation you are in now, a group of buddies that play together and stay together.

I think you are way off on your overall assessment of them and what they can bring.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Do not beat yourself up Mr. Leatherhead, you have a young family. My best advice to you is enjoy your time with them.
I was a former union president at a IAFF local. I took away way too much time from my children. Working 24, 48 and sometime working 144 hr shifts in a row w/o being at home really hurt our family.
I appreciate your kind words. As a former firefighter weren't you glad that different shifts, different skill level firefighters, different stations, all get representation? I was a C shifter and I would have killed myself if the folks on A shift had all the representation. Different shifts had different perspectives, needs, concerns, and ideas for betterment. This group could turn the BOD election into what amounts to a single shift being the sole new group of representation.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Ok, tell ya what, make arrangements to chat w/the 4 candidates on the phone if you have time.
I am only speaking as a member.....and....not a moderator of this forum on this issue.
I you wish please go ahead and run as a candidate. I would love to hear your complete platform.
I wish you the best of luck in this issue.
We just need some changes that will help out the members of the KCBS.